Engine overheat

Tabiso
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Engine overheat

Post by Tabiso »

Hi Guys, I drive mk5 1.9 tdi and experience problem when driving over 120km/h but I should stop to buy something while the engine is still in idling mode, the overheat taker longer to occur despite been a bit above 120km/h.

Can be assisted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LoW n SloW
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Engine overheat

Post by LoW n SloW »

thermostat, im guessing...
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
2000 'rolla facelift RSi (ex. miss this) - exhaust and vernier
2005 old schooled caddy (ex)
2001 'rolla RXi airbag spec (ex) - exhaust, vernier, cai
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
2012 Audi A1 1.6 TDI (stock as they come)
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

It looks like english... :sad:
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Q-BONE
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Car Make: VW, Toyota
Car Model: 1.8 Caddy; Yaris T3 Spirit
Membership No: missing

Post by Q-BONE »

VGTI wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:28 am It looks like english... :sad:
Read it 5 times & I still cant decipher :geek:
Scatman
General
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 320d Msport
Membership No: 1773

Post by Scatman »

Not really sure what's going on, but I'm guessing your thermostat is stuffed. May even be your waterpump failing. Could be your radiator fan module/motor that's failed. Does it overheat if you have your aircon on? Do your fans spin slowly when you idle the car and switch the aircon on?
Current:
2008 BMW 320d Msport Auto
Ex:
2006 Audi A3 2.0T
2006 BMW E90 330d Manual
*Click here*
2006 Sportline
*Click here*
Mk4 Jetta TDI - 79wKw, 256Nm atw @KAR
*Click here*
Margaret - '75 Audi 80 Restoration Project
*Click here*
2005 1.4i Citi Golf
*Click here*
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Tabiso wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:31 am Hi Guys, I drive mk5 1.9 tdi and experience problem when driving over 120km/h but I should stop to buy something while the engine is still in idling mode, the overheat taker longer to occur despite been a bit above 120km/h.

Can be assisted

Wat???? :crazy:
Tabiso
Enlisted

Post by Tabiso »

Apologies Guys for the message send earlier but THANKS to those who did not short circuit their brain by managing to make sense from what has been written and provided assistance.

Tabiso
Enlisted

Post by Tabiso »

Scatman wrote:Not really sure what's going on, but I'm guessing your thermostat is stuffed. May even be your waterpump failing. Could be your radiator fan module/motor that's failed. Does it overheat if you have your aircon on? Do your fans spin slowly when you idle the car and switch the aircon on?
I recently went out of aurcon and must refill it soon. So, overheating in that regard, I cannot really tell. Coming to the fan spinning slowly, no it appears to be normal. Have tried to observe that.

Tabiso
Enlisted

Post by Tabiso »

Tabiso wrote:
Scatman wrote:Not really sure what's going on, but I'm guessing your thermostat is stuffed. May even be your waterpump failing. Could be your radiator fan module/motor that's failed. Does it overheat if you have your aircon on? Do your fans spin slowly when you idle the car and switch the aircon on?
I recently went out of aircon gas and must refill it soon. So, overheating in that regard, I cannot really tell. Coming to the fan spinning slowly, no it appears to be normal. Have tried to observe that.

VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Tabiso wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:24 am
I recently went out of aurcon and must refill it soon. So, overheating in that regard, I cannot really tell. Coming to the fan spinning slowly, no it appears to be normal. Have tried to observe that.

The short circuit in my brain caused an assumption that the "aurcon" escaped from your head and I can only recommend that you refil that as soon as possible, before observing anything again... please!

If the thing (your car) is overheating, check thermostat and waterpump first, feel the top and bottom pipes going to the radiator and report back...
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Tabiso,

I presume with "overheat" you are referring to the radiator fan switching on. This is NOT overheating, but is a normal operation for regulating the coolant temperature.

TDIs tend to generate less heat than petrol models, especially at idle, because the combustion is more efficient. If the fan takes a long time to switch on, I wouldn't worry about this, especially if the coolant temperature is at 90 when you're driving on the highway. If it's below 90, then your thermostat is faulty and should be replaced.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

my head hurts.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)