Buying a high mileage BiTdi Amarok

Gti3
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Buying a high mileage BiTdi Amarok

Post by Gti3 »

Salt wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm Thanks for the feedback GTi3 - my plan for us is to get the Amarok for me which will be to work and back and then for holidays. I want to get my wife a 2015 (or thereabouts) Polo GTI DSG for her and for weekend driving. I am trying to set us up for best of both worlds (OK mostly me) hehehehe...a bakkie and something with a little speed. She also loves some power and a bakkie so its really a win win situation. Been looking at the Polo GTI and recon its better to ptob go for the 1.8 GTI than the 1.4 GTI. But the first buy will be the Amarok. I won't go over 100 000km as I will want to keep for an extended period of time. Were not bothered about buying new, buy pre owned has thankfully always treated us well financially and in reliability. The only one that stumbled was a Nissan Qashqai 1.5 DCI where the turbo went after 75 000km. Thankfully I took out an extended warranty with Wesbank/Engine Room/Motorite and they covered the R40k to fix it - so even that wasn't really a worry for us.
Hi Salt

So paid attention to the fuel consumption and this is what I have found. I filled up 31.3 litres of diesel over the past weekend. Have done 350kms on this fuel up and now I need to fuel again. this was mixed driving (town and freeway). I commuted approximately 90kms a day to work and back. So im I'm calculating this correctly the Amarok returned 11.1km per litre of diesel. This was on Engen 50ppm. It is currently decatted and has software (ATM tuned) as per the information received from the previous owner. It has also just been serviced last Wednesday.

I'm not sure if that is good or bad consumption relative to the other 132 kw BiTdi Amaroks.
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG
2012 AMAROK BiTDi HIGHLINE 4MOTION 6MT

EX:2013 MK7 TDi HIGHLINE DSG
EX:2010 MK6 GTI 6MT
EX:2006 Ibiza Cupra TDi
EX:1993 Golf 3 Gti
EX:1970 Beetle 1600 Twinport
Salt
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Salt »

Thanks Darryn. As I don't really need a 4x4 and can thus save a little on fuel I think the 4x2 auto is that I'll look out for. Its not so much about paying a little more for the 4x4 I just don't want additional maintenance/risk of breaking if I don't need it and saving a little on juice is always a good thing in my books. Appreciate the feedback.

I have to ask though, what is the EGR and do you guys decat the thing just for better performance?
Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

4ePikanini wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 am
Gti3 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 pm
4ePikanini wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 pm Delete the EGR cooler. They like to crack, leak coolant out the exhaust and then you overheat.
Is it safe to do? I've been reading some mixed views on this and am quite confused about removal or not.
Safer than risking an overheat.

CAT delete
DPF delete
EGR and it's cooler delete
software flash to shut the ecu up
regular services with good oils and change all 3 filters every service!

These are the key points to engines going waaaaay beyond 300'000km.
It currently is decatted as per the previous owner - I can see the straight piece of pipe that was welded on just after the turbos. Would the vehicle have a DPF as well?

It has a software remap from ATM chiptuning. I am not sure what type of map (aggressive or not) but it does not throw any errors at the moment.

Yes have just serviced and changed all 3 filters - will try and do so every 10000kms.
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG
2012 AMAROK BiTDi HIGHLINE 4MOTION 6MT

EX:2013 MK7 TDi HIGHLINE DSG
EX:2010 MK6 GTI 6MT
EX:2006 Ibiza Cupra TDi
EX:1993 Golf 3 Gti
EX:1970 Beetle 1600 Twinport
dazza
Field Marshal
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

EGR is to re-circulate exhaust gases into the intake, can leak and cause issues. Best to just check for leaks and if it gives issues replace or block-off.
I did 76mm catless dp, just to free up the heat etc especially since I was going to do software.

There was no 2.0 Amarok DPF models in SA, they only have Cat's. I think the 3.0V6 Amarok has both Cat and DPF but don't quote me on that
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Salt
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Salt »

Cool thanks
Thekogm
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 2 months
Car Make: VW & VW
Car Model: 95 Polo 1.4i, 03 Transporter

Post by Thekogm »

:type: reading this thread has me feeling like fly at the buffet...

I've loved the Rok since the first one, (former Toylux Fan), just couldn't afford any. If anyone would like to donate one, it will be appreciated.
:driving:

The Stock Polo 1.4i is my only solice.

Many points noted.

Happy :driving: Everyone...
:type: or on the phone...