Polo 1.9TDi Starting Problem

Tebello
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Polo 1.9TDi Starting Problem

Post by Tebello »

Hi everyone I need some assistance please.
Every morning when try to start my polo it cranks for long periods then the oil lamp comes on and at this point I'd turn the ignition off then on again. The after cranking for a couple of seconds it would start, and for as long as the engine is warm it'll start with no issues. Once it gets cold then the long cranking scenario starts again. I've changed a can speed sensor, batteries and still no change.
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Re: Polo 1.9TDi Starting Problem

Post by MeanTdi »

Tebello wrote:Hi everyone I need some assistance please.
Every morning when try to start my polo it cranks for long periods then the oil lamp comes on and at this point I'd turn the ignition off then on again. The after cranking for a couple of seconds it would start, and for as long as the engine is warm it'll start with no issues. Once it gets cold then the long cranking scenario starts again. I've changed a can speed sensor, batteries and still no change.
Have you checked the cam position sensor? Try scan for errors.
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
Tebello
Enlisted

Post by Tebello »

@MeanTdi thanks for the response, yes I have checked the cam position sensor and even changed the cam speed sensor as it was giving the cam speed sensor fault, but not anymore now. It's only the long cranking when the engine is cold. But I will try a full scan to see if I can pick up anything else.
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

Have you changed the cam belt recently? Maybe timing is out?
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
vee4410
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI, 9n 1.6

Post by vee4410 »

Could be glow plugs as well.
Current Rides:
2007 Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI
2004 Polo 9n 1.6
2015 MB w205 C180
Tebello
Enlisted

Post by Tebello »

@MeanTdi yes I have changed the cambelt. Funny thing is that I once changed the battery and problem went away for about 7 weeks then it started again recently even with a new battery from VW.
Tebello
Enlisted

Post by Tebello »

@vee4410 I also suspect that could be the problem. The problem has to do with the engine's startup temperature.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Cambelt position sensor is more likely, unless you live in arctic weather conditions, the glow plugs are never activated. Seeing that you mentioned your battery, have you checked the earthing at all?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

I would have the timing checked on vag com. The PD motors are quite sensitive to timing.

Could be that with the new battery the cranking speed was strong enough to overcome the timing that is slightly off.

As Neuk mentioned also check the earth. Both on the body and the gearbox. Remove, clean and re-tighten.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Tebello
Enlisted

Post by Tebello »

@Neuk, no I haven't checked the earthing. So that's another item on the list to be checked.
EduanNell
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by EduanNell »

Hi guys my polo 1.9 tdi starts easily in the morning,and after I drop the little one at school doesnt want to start again.Changed the battery,did a full service,new glow plugs,glowplug harness,temperature sensor,cam speed sensor.Dont know what to do one day it starts fine other days .It gives one a hell of an headache.Please if someone had the same problem help...
BIGMIG
Porra Love
Registered for: 14 years 2 months
Car Model: 9N3 GTB22/60vk Sportline
Membership No: 1574

Post by BIGMIG »

Fuel temp sensor? Also have you scanned the car?
My NoPiel assassin

Goose, soot ninja
EduanNell
Enlisted

Post by EduanNell »

The scan said the cam position sensor and crankshaft speed sensor but I already replaced the speed sensor
Neels0829
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years

Post by Neels0829 »

Hi guys. I have the same issue as EduanNell here. My Polo 1.9TDI also intermittently takes much longer to start. 5 to 6 seconds, or on the second attempt, hot or cold, there is just no patern to the problem. I scanned it, no error codes, I replaced the 5 year old glow plugs, but still the same issue. I am scared to take it in for fault finding, and it never shows.. Did any of you have success yet?
Tylertdi
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by Tylertdi »

I have the exact same problem mine is the asz engine 1.9 tdi Polo 96kw and another fault which I don't really know if it is a fault I replaced the pipe to clear reinforced hose after fuel filter and after I turn off the car the fuel runs dack into filter and leaves pipe empty could this be the problem
ES1987
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years

Post by ES1987 »

Neels0829 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:51 pm Hi guys. I have the same issue as EduanNell here. My Polo 1.9TDI also intermittently takes much longer to start. 5 to 6 seconds, or on the second attempt, hot or cold, there is just no patern to the problem. I scanned it, no error codes, I replaced the 5 year old glow plugs, but still the same issue. I am scared to take it in for fault finding, and it never shows.. Did any of you have success yet?
I had the same problem last year - turned out to be a dying battery. It could also be dirty injectors.

In fact, it could be any one of a wide array of issues but I would start to look at the battery.

Fault finding may just be the best way to narrow it down.
Neels0829
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years

Post by Neels0829 »

Thanks guys. I have done a battery change, but the "taking longer to start intermittently" problem still continued. Sometimes, it starts fine for weeks, then suddenly it takes 5-6 seconds to start, twice on one day. I must do the 300 000km timing belt service in the next year, hoping that if it is a timing issue, it will be resolved. If it is dirty injectors, can I do a tank with injector cleaner? or any other specific product you can recommend to clean injectors? My 1.9tdi is still very original, clutch, turbo, injectors, cv joints, all original still. So I guess its about time for something to give trouble :-)
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

U most likely have a failing cam sensor, it's almost always responsible for intermittent starting issues.

Liqui moly super diesel additive can be diluted with diesel in the tank.
Liqui moly diesel purge must be used as the only fuel source, basically the engine must run on it until the can is finished.

I frequently use the above products and the results speak for itself.

These products are mainly used for preventative maintenance, not for restoring faulty injectors.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
ShivenRamlal
Enlisted
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: Ibiza Cupra 1.9TDI

Post by ShivenRamlal »

Hi ... did you manage to resolve the issue ... because my tdi is also displaying same symptoms