Diesel pump leaking 1.9tdi -help new problem ;(

SpikePCR
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: missing

Re: Diesel pump leaking 1.9tdi -help new problem ;(

Post by SpikePCR »

UPDATE

Stephan did his magic with a 2nd hand pump and the car lives again. Thank you again Stephan.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

No worries,
Yeah that rear seal change really is not an in-car change. Even with it standing upright in the workbensch i managed to dislodge a washer and lock the pump up. Difference is you can check it by hand without breaking it when you swing it with the starter.
Had to undo and try again before getting it right the second time. Very fiddly thing so honestly, remove pump, do the seal and refit for anybody that want's to DIY this,
And if you are uncomfortable taking the pump off then really you should not be doing this yourself and I really am not nasty here.
Just an honest opinion trying to save somebody else a lot of money and hassle.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I think this is why the one how-to video recommended to check the assembly by turning over the engine by hand. (Socket on crankshaft pulley or special holding tool on camshaft pulley.) If the injectors are removed, there is no compression, and it should be relatively easy to feel any resistance. If I were ever to DIY this repair in-car, after having seen all the videos and having read this thread, I would certainly not swing it directly with the starter.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I promise you - take the pump off is better. There is almost no way that you will stop things from falling incorrectly when you take that distributor section off with the pump in place.
The VW factory manual also clearly states that. Honestly it is a very risky shortcut to take.
Just remove the pump. It is not that difficult to do. Yes you have to set the timing afterwards and make sure you have put the belt on correctly.
It's also quite hard to remove injectors that has been in the motor for a while.
But hey it's people's choice - just know this - I will never agree with that in-situ method , neither does the factory and it is highly risky. When you do it just know that upfront.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
drelouw
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 4 1.9 TDI

Post by drelouw »

Hi Guys

Apologies, I know it is a 2016 post but I'm sitting with the same problem, anybody can assist? Stephen?
I'm have a golf 4 TDi diesel pump leak
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Is it the distributor head seal that's leaking, i.e. between the main body and the square block that feeds the four injector lines? Apparently it's this seal (large Viton O-ring) that mostly springs a leak. I did this repair myself, after sourcing the repair kit from Bosch (about R300) and receiving the relevant section of the workshop manual from Stephan. The other two seals on my pump are still fine. But I have replacements, now that I bought the whole kit.

Like Stephan wrote, this job is best done with the pump out of the engine and standing upright. If you have some experience with repairs like a timing belt replacement (i.e. you can check and adjust engine timing and belt tension), and if you have a decent bench vise for holding the pump in a clean work area, then this repair can be done DIY. I'd be happy to assist you by phone if you decide to go DIY. But unfortunately, I can't help with the actual repair, as my weekends in May are pretty fully booked. Where are you based?

BTW, Bosch part no. for the repair kit is
2 467 010 003
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

P.S.: I stripped two heads of the four torx bolts holding the head to the pump. I replaced them with 12.9 Allen cap screws, R5 a piece from a bolt&nut dealer. No problem.
Also, a torque wrench would be good to have, but if you have enough experience, you can work by hand.
Lastly, get some paraffin and a smallish brush, for cleaning the pump externals before you start the actual seal job.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
Golf419tdi
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Golf419tdi »

Pls help reved my 1.9 tdi hard and my car wont start fuel pressure dropped any advice