polo 1.9 tdi turbo

Big Norm
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

polo 1.9 tdi turbo

Post by Big Norm »

hi guys
im new to the site and would like to know what is involved with changing my 74kw turbo to a 96kw turbo.
my car is a 1.9 tdi (74kw)2008 model highline. Would i be able to just take my turbo off and put the 96kw turbo on?
thanks.
Houdini
Enlisted
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 5 2.0 TDI

Re: polo 1.9 tdi turbo

Post by Houdini »

Hi man. you would have to weld a straight piece of aluminium pipe on. the 96 kw turbo has the clip in boost pipes. the rest of the stuff will work.
Big Norm
Enlisted

Post by Big Norm »

thanks for the response.
Big Norm
Enlisted

Post by Big Norm »

the main reason im asking is because volkswagen alpine quoted me R32000 for a new turbo (74kw) and they have a special on at the moment where they selling the 96kw turbo for only R7200? i just dont know how they can justify that price. they said to me i should just put the 96kw turbo on and he said i just need to change the boost line size? may have heard wrong,hence my reason for askng.

thanks
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Turbo outlet changes. Buy a billet connector from Pieter Fourie & a piece of silicone reducer bend & your sorted
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
supervly
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo 9N TDi Sportline, Jetta V

Post by supervly »

Big Norm wrote:the main reason im asking is because volkswagen alpine quoted me R32000 for a new turbo (74kw) and they have a special on at the moment where they selling the 96kw turbo for only R7200? i just dont know how they can justify that price. they said to me i should just put the 96kw turbo on and he said i just need to change the boost line size? may have heard wrong,hence my reason for askng.

thanks
VW had a recall on all 96kw Turbos a while back and in order ensure they had enough , they brought in way too many , so now they are sitting with excess stock - hey it works out perfectly for us end users
Morné Pieters
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years
Car Make: VW & Mercedes-Benz
Car Model: 07 1.9TDi & 09 C350 CDi

Post by Morné Pieters »

Big Norm wrote:the main reason im asking is because volkswagen alpine quoted me R32000 for a new turbo (74kw) and they have a special on at the moment where they selling the 96kw turbo for only R7200? i just dont know how they can justify that price. they said to me i should just put the 96kw turbo on and he said i just need to change the boost line size? may have heard wrong,hence my reason for asking.

thanks
Morning Bud

I wrote a DIY write up in my rides thread with part numbers, gaskets etc. when I did the conversion below just like:
http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=75

I agree with everything everyone said so far. The hardware is a direct bolt one expect the turbo outlet for the boost pipe connection as mentioned. The software will need to mapped correctly for the bigger turbo afterwards but you can drive the car as is, it full just not be optimized for power, fuel consumption etc.

Hope this info helps but give me a shout if you need assistance :hi:
2007 White Polo 9N3 1.9 TDi (PD100) - Daily Ride (Odo 306 000 km)
PD160 Intake lPD130 Intake System lEGR Blank lPD130 Turbo lDe-Cat lStraight Flow FMIC (450x230x65 mm) & 50 mm S/S Boost Pipes lWulfchip Software lFK Projector Headlights & 6000K HID lLED Retrofit lCustom LED Footwell Lighting lCustom Leather Interior lGTI Black Interior lCustom Speedo Cluster lCruise Control
Big Norm
Enlisted

Vw moveup 2015

Post by Big Norm »

Hi guys does anyone perhaps knows the torque settings for the flywheel.im changing the clutch but dont know the flywheel torque settings.
Morné Pieters
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years
Car Make: VW & Mercedes-Benz
Car Model: 07 1.9TDi & 09 C350 CDi

Re: Vw moveup 2015

Post by Morné Pieters »

Big Norm wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm Hi guys does anyone perhaps knows the torque settings for the flywheel.im changing the clutch but dont know the flywheel torque settings.
What bolts are you using? What flywheel? Aftermarket SMF or DMF?
2007 White Polo 9N3 1.9 TDi (PD100) - Daily Ride (Odo 306 000 km)
PD160 Intake lPD130 Intake System lEGR Blank lPD130 Turbo lDe-Cat lStraight Flow FMIC (450x230x65 mm) & 50 mm S/S Boost Pipes lWulfchip Software lFK Projector Headlights & 6000K HID lLED Retrofit lCustom LED Footwell Lighting lCustom Leather Interior lGTI Black Interior lCustom Speedo Cluster lCruise Control