Golf 5 2.0 tdi "emissions workshop"

AashiqH
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Golf 5 2.0 tdi "emissions workshop"

Post by AashiqH »

Hi guys, just wanted to ask the experts opinion on a problem I have.

So after getting me the G5 2.0 tdi I had some work to do on it.

In the process of doing the 120k major service (replacing water pump & all belts etc) i check the turbo and found come play on shaft. There were indications of some oil in the boost pipes etc and intercooler. Car was idling a bit of white smoke and some white smoke under load. After cleaning out the whole system etc (including sump and pick up) i put the recond (new is R37000 from agents!!!) turbo back. Plugged it in and only warning that came up was the cam sensor switch faulty. Checked the switch and also replaced that.

Car now has no smoke while idling and none evident under load, turbo boosting better and slightly quiter.

After 1 week of driving the emissions workshop light comes on. The code is related to EGR (cant remember exactly what it said). What can this be? I suspect somewhere i leak in the system?
Before doing the turbo all was fine. Any advice?

Lastly has anyone put a downpipe on this vehicle? Apparently powerflow says that there is a difference between the 1.9 & 2.0 tdi - different setup. Also, with the 2.0 tdi is the EGR (throttle body) removed and the downpipe bolted directly to turbo manifold? Can the 2.0 tdi be decatted?
Legion739
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 5 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A3 2.0T - K04

Re: Golf 5 2.0 tdi "emissions workshop"

Post by Legion739 »

AashiqH wrote:The code is related to EGR (cant remember exactly what it said). What can this be? I suspect somewhere i leak in the system?
Could be a dirty / Blocked EGR valve
AashiqH wrote: Can the 2.0 tdi be decatted?
Yes
André
Current: --> Audi A3 2.0TFSI - K04
Ex: 1.9 TDI Sportline
AashiqH
Enlisted

Post by AashiqH »

The EGR valve was cleant out when the turbo was off. Powerflow reckons for the 2.0tdi you cant and it needs a downpipe. The 1.9tdi can be decatted yes.
JVR
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by JVR »

G5 has a DPF, to take it out, you need to have the car mapped.
'10 Tiguan 2.0TDI
'00 A3 1.8T
AashiqH
Enlisted

Post by AashiqH »

Legion739 wrote:
AashiqH wrote:The code is related to EGR (cant remember exactly what it said). What can this be? I suspect somewhere i leak in the system?
Could be a dirty / Blocked EGR valve
AashiqH wrote: Can the 2.0 tdi be decatted?
Yes
Will take the EGR valve off the weekend and clean up. At the same time check the inside flap and connectors. From what i read seems like cleaning has only solved this issue in a few cases. Replacing it new seemed to have solved it in most cases. Will clean it the weekend and clear the error then see what happens. Will also check the vacuum pipes around the EGR valve for any leaks.

If all else fails will buy a new EGR valve at the agents (R1450) including gaskets and replace.
Legion739
Cadet

Post by Legion739 »

AashiqH wrote: If all else fails will buy a new EGR valve at the agents (R1450) including gaskets and replace.
:fear:

Just do a EGR delete rather than buy a new one.

Your motor will run cleaner without the EGR, No more Soot and crap going into your intake. But your car will be less environmentally friendly and take a bit longer to heat up
André
AashiqH
Enlisted

Post by AashiqH »

Legion739 wrote:
AashiqH wrote: If all else fails will buy a new EGR valve at the agents (R1450) including gaskets and replace.
:fear:

Just do a EGR delete rather than buy a new one.

Your motor will run cleaner without the EGR, No more Soot and crap going into your intake. But your car will be less environmentally friendly and take a bit longer to heat up
Is there someone in CT that does this?
Legion739
Cadet

Post by Legion739 »

AashiqH wrote: Is there someone in CT that does this?
Sure I think most tuners can help you out, You need blank off plates to block off the EGR. and tune it out the SW

Or some people just tune it into the SW so it says closed.

I think it should be real cheap to do, but I'm no expert have only read about it but will be doing it to my car just to keep engine cleaner.
André
JunaidMintor
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by JunaidMintor »

Hi guys
I drive a Golf 5 2.0 tdi. My emissions workshop light is on and I don't get any boost on the car.
Any advice?