Polo millenium dash

Ruan venter
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Polo millenium dash

Post by Ruan venter »

Hi all im new to vw i have a polo old spec dash and i just bought a millennium dash now i beleive the fitting is easy but the wireing is the big job on the cluster pannel. Do i need to cut the old plugs of and join the new ones on or how will this work any help will really be appreciated

Sent from my PRA-LX2 using Tapatalk

EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Re: Polo millenium dash

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Don't cut and join if you can avoid it. Depin the plugs and move them over and then repin.

Just make sure you save the order of the pins somewhere, photos before you depin would help. You also need to make sure of the correct pin location on the new plugs / dashboard.
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
Ruan venter
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by Ruan venter »

Where will i be able to find that info

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Ruan venter wrote:Where will i be able to find that info

With enormous difficulty.

That dash was not installed on overseas models. The 6N Polo(really a Seat Cordoba not a European spec Polo) with the "Millennium " dash is unique to South Africa. What that means is that the only way to get the pinouts and the wire colours is to find original VWSA electronic troubleshooting manuals from a dealer and make copies of the pages. If you have a mate at a dealership that still might have the specific manuals ask them to help. Most of the time the old stuff is thrown out or put into storage once it becomes too old, generally this happens about 5 years after the model ends production,

The best option I can recommend for a DIY is to change the interior harness to match the dashboard.

It will have all the correct plugs in the right places to go with the new dash, as opposed to trying to adapt the old dash to suit. Things like the hazard switch location and the different type of headlight switch will all give you unnecessary problems if you keep the original harness.

If it was me I would leave it alone, look around for a clean millennium spec car and sell the old one. A dash swap without all the relevant parts as well as the support bar is a proper pain in the bum kind of job. Instant rattles. Better if you had a whole car as a donor.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

missioner wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:39 pm
Ruan venter wrote:Where will i be able to find that info

With enormous difficulty.

That dash was not installed on overseas models. The 6N Polo(really a Seat Cordoba not a European spec Polo) with the "Millennium " dash is unique to South Africa. What that means is that the only way to get the pinouts and the wire colours is to find original VWSA electronic troubleshooting manuals from a dealer and make copies of the pages. If you have a mate at a dealership that still might have the specific manuals ask them to help. Most of the time the old stuff is thrown out or put into storage once it becomes too old, generally this happens about 5 years after the model ends production,

The best option I can recommend for a DIY is to change the interior harness to match the dashboard.

It will have all the correct plugs in the right places to go with the new dash, as opposed to trying to adapt the old dash to suit. Things like the hazard switch location and the different type of headlight switch will all give you unnecessary problems if you keep the original harness.

If it was me I would leave it alone, look around for a clean millennium spec car and sell the old one. A dash swap without all the relevant parts as well as the support bar is a proper pain in the bum kind of job. Instant rattles. Better if you had a whole car as a donor.
Agree with missioner.

If you can get the dash with all its wiring and it is still in the donor car, go label all before disconnecting and removing. Thennatleast you have a good starting point to work from.

You will likely experience some obstacles along the way and a wiring schematic can assist.