Cape Carwash Circle

Details on upcoming non-VWCSA events...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
PoloGirl
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 9n3 Polo 1.4 2006
Membership No: 1842

Re: Cape Carwash Circle

Post by PoloGirl »

lawrence wrote:
Yakuza Racer wrote:it works out alot cheaper for me to let them do it than for me to actually do it
Until you get the quote to repaint your car because the washed/scratched/polished your clear coat off

:fear:

And actually it doesn't work out cheaper.

If you roll there once a week @R100 a shot you are dropping R5k/year.

With R5K you could get yourself pretty much everything you need to DIY it (including things like a foam cannon) and would land up at the end of the year with things you didn't need to replace (foam cannon/buckets/grit guards etc etc), so the following year you would actually SAVE money.

And you car would actually look better, for longer and be easier to clean if your were DIY'ing it...

But, its your car, your money, your choice

:cool:
Understand what you are saying but for me personally it won't work.
I do wash my own car which saves me paying someone to do it but my wash consists out of car shampoo, 2buckets, that microfiber mit or sponge, microfiber drying cloth and a normal garden hose.

I spray the car down with the hose. Then wash it with the 2BM, spray soap down then dry.
Same with wheels.

I dont have the money for the pressure washer and foam canon and all those special stuffies.

I love reading all the detailing stuff and dream of having and doing all that stuff but for me its just a dream at this point in time.

I don't want to go into it to much because its boring but
Health affects your ability and finances.

So a wash and dry for me just has to be good enough atm because its better than driving around with a dirty car.
Last edited by PoloGirl on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'06 1.4i 9n3 PoHi

Previous ride:
'94 1.3 Citi Golf stock
TA-Technix coilovers
all improvements done by a girl
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Yakuza Racer »

lawrence wrote:To wash and dry an average sized car, doing it the right way, with a pre-wash, foam, 2BM etc should not take any longer than 45 min...

#just saying
but we dont know how to do it properly man lol
Thupercharged S4
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

PoloGirl wrote:
lawrence wrote:
Yakuza Racer wrote:it works out alot cheaper for me to let them do it than for me to actually do it
Until you get the quote to repaint your car because the washed/scratched/polished your clear coat off

:fear:

And actually it doesn't work out cheaper.

If you roll there once a week @R100 a shot you are dropping R5k/year.

With R5K you could get yourself pretty much everything you need to DIY it (including things like a foam cannon) and would land up at the end of the year with things you didn't need to replace (foam cannon/buckets/grit guards etc etc), so the following year you would actually SAVE money.

And you car would actually look better, for longer and be easier to clean if your were DIY'ing it...

But, its your car, your money, your choice

:cool:
Understand what you are saying but for me personally it won't work.
I do wash my own car which saves me paying someone to do it but my wash consists out of car shampoo, 2buckets, that microfiber mit or sponge, microfiber drying cloth and a normal garden hose.

I spray the car down with the hose. Then wash it with the 2BM then dry.
Same with wheels.

I dont have the money for the pressure washer and foam canon and all those special stuffies.

I love reading all the detailing stuff and dream of having and doing all that stuff but for me its just a dream at this point in time.

I don't want to go into it to much because its boring but
Health affects your ability and finances.

So a wash and dry for me just has to be good enough atm because its better than driving around with a dirty car.
While I will always try and 'preach' what should be done, I completely get that not everyone can, will or wants to do it that way.

Hell, my own daily hasn't been washed in what must be close on 2 months now :oops:

The mere fact that you are using 2 buckets and not using a chamois means you are already doing your paint a HUGE favor.

I'd like to suggest 2 relatively cheap steps to add in.

1. before washing, spray some citrus prewash on the lower half of the car via a pump sprayer (this will help soften up dirt allowing you to rinse it away BEFORE you make contact - admittedly without a pressure washer it may not be as effective, but can help
2. use a quick detailer to spray the car down after washing and BEFORE drying - this adds lubrication to the paint and will greatly reduce swirls.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Yakuza Racer wrote:
lawrence wrote:To wash and dry an average sized car, doing it the right way, with a pre-wash, foam, 2BM etc should not take any longer than 45 min...

#just saying
but we dont know how to do it properly man lol
Extract from here: http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 0&t=166322 <----- read it pappa! :lol:

Washing the vehicle
Get the bucket containing your wash solution and your rinse bucket, along with your 3 wash mitts. Begin by rinsing the vehicle. I will assume we are working on an average family hatch back. You want to be in the shade and the paint cool. During the washing process it is important not to let the wash solution dry on the car, so keep re-wetting as is needed.

In order not to flush dirty water over a section you have already cleaned, washing will always be done from the top down. This also ensures that the dirtiest (bottom) section of the car is washed last. This means that the amount of dirt being added to the rinse bucket progressively increases as you move through the process of washing the car in the order I will describe below – no point adding a whole lot of dirt to the rinse bucket right in the beginning and having dirtier rinse water from the outset. If need be (on a very dirty car) you can refill your rinse bucket with fresh water at any point.

What you are doing when you wash a car: Removing the stuff on your paint (that will come off and is not bonded TO your paint or embedded IN your paint) such as bird droppings, dust/dirt and road grime.

1. Dip your ‘top’ wash mitt into the wash solution and wash half of the driver’s side of the roof, flip the mitt over and wash the remaining half of the driver’s side of the roof. Remember to wash in straight lines. This will ensure that any swirls that you do inflict all run in one direction making them only visible in when you line up and look in that one direction. If you wash in multiple directions, the swirls run in multiple directions, meaning no matter which angle you look at the car from, you will see them. Do not use a lot of pressure as this increases the chance of inflicting swirls.
2. Now go to your rinse bucket, dip the mitt in there are actively try and work off as much of the dirt as you can.
3. With your mitt now freed from most of the dirt that came off your roof, you can now go and dip you mitt into the wash solution and repeat steps 2 and 3 on the passenger side of the roof.
4. Now you will wash from where the side windows meet the doors back up to the roof and. Start on the driver’s side and wash from the back of the car (which will probably include a bit of the rear quarter panel) to the B pillar, flip the mitt and wash the front window and mirror.
5. The rinse your mitt in the rinse bucket.
6. Dip your mitt in the wash solution and repeat on the passenger side of the vehicle.
7. The rinse your mitt in the rinse bucket.
8. Dip your mitt in the wash solution and do the bonnet, first the driver’s side (flipping your mitt halfway), rinse the mitt, then do the passenger side.
9. Put your ‘top’ mitt once side and get your ‘bottom’ mitt

Do you see the pattern developing…. Wash a small section (so that the mitt doesn’t become too contaminated), flip it over to the clean side, wash next section, rinse, repeat

You will now use the same technique to wash from the line where the side windows meet the door, down to the bottom of the doors, from the front to the back of the car. Wash a small section, flip it over to the clean side, wash next section, rinse, repeat…

10. Do the driver’s side of the car first, but from the back of the car to the front, and only go half way down the doors – it is the lower half of the doors that gather the most dirt, predominantly sprayed up by the wheels.
11. Then do the passenger side
12. Then come back to the driver’s side and do the lower half from back to front
13. Then do the passenger side
14. Then do the front end
15. Then the back end, working from the top down.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Summary for Yakuza

HP rinse
Pre-wash
HP rinse
Foam
HP rinse
2 bucket wash
Flood rinse
Spray with Quick Detailer
Dry

The HP washer, pre-wash and foaming all help, but are not absolutely necessary so a basic version of the above would be

Hosepipe rinse
2 bucket wash
Flood rinse
Dry
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Yakuza Racer »

lawrence wrote:Summary for Yakuza

HP rinse
Pre-wash
HP rinse
Foam
HP rinse
2 bucket wash
Flood rinse
Dry

The HP washer, pre-wash and foaming all help, but are not absolutely necessary so a basic version of the above would be

Hosepipe rinse
2 bucket wash
Flood rinse
Dry
well that i can do lol...

but i will still use my buddy to wash my cars, just a way for me to support him and i washed my car saturday and its still damn clean even today... sometimes if the weather plays along i dont NEED to wash my car for up to 2-3 weeks...
Thupercharged S4