Caring for your MicroFibers

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
dood786
Post Whore
Registered for: 17 years
Car Model: boat
Membership No: 1133

Caring for your MicroFibers

Post by dood786 »

sauce
Pravin wrote:Microfiber towels use a unique blend of materials with innovative weave and fiber designs to create a special product. The blend of materials is a special ultra fine synthetic yarn made of polyester and nylon. How fine? Each strand is approximately 0.2 denier, which is equivalent to 1/20th of a strand of silk or 1/100th of a human hair. Despite its ultra thin design it’s extremely durable, soft and virtually lint free. During manufacturing the fiber starts off as a round strand, when you look at a cross section of the fiber, and then microscopic wedges are removed from the outer edge to create pockets. If you can visualize an asterisk (*), this is a good example of what a cross sectional picture looks like after the wedges have been removed. This has two main benefits: 1.) it greatly increases the surface area of each fiber, 2.) gives dust and contaminates a place to collect. Microfiber towels can be put in the washer and dryer with regular detergents, just don’t use fabric softeners and dry on low settings.

This design is really revolutionary because it helps collect and trap contaminates as opposed to pushing them around. Traditional fabrics are significantly flatter and tend to push around contaminates and not pick them up. On dry surfaces the microfiber towels use electro static energy to easily lift and collect large amounts of dust, dirt, oil, liquid and more in the micro wedges of the fiber. These towels are excellent drying tools because the wedge design in the fiber allows the towel to absorb large amounts of water. The fibers capillary action forces any liquid it comes in contact with to be readily absorbed. Best of all these towels dry significantly faster than regular towels because air more readily dries the fibers due to the increased surface area.

Microfiber Products:

Microfiber is changing the way people clean and care for their vehicles. Microfiber is one of the safest material to use on your paint, which is important so you do not create swirls and other imperfections. Certain microfiber towels are optimized for specific detailing tasks. Outlined below are the products Detailed Image offers, along with an explaination on how each microfiber product differs.

Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels - Waffle weave drying towels are the most effective and safest towel to use when drying your vehicle. The waffle weave pattern is designed to absorb so much water that it can weigh more than 5 times its weight when dry. The waffle weave pattern is textured so that it can expand while absorbing large amounts of water. The thick and plush design helps ensure that loose contaminates are not easily ground in to the clear coat, where as chamois and thinner towels pose a far greater risk. The silk edging and tag less design makes our waffle weave drying towel the most efficient and safest towel available.

All Purpose Microfiber Towel - This paint safe microfiber towel is excellent for removing excess product from you paint, interior care, glass cleaning, leather care, quick detailers and so much more. This particular towel has a very soft feel and medium nap that makes it ideal for removing excess polishes, glazes, sealants and waxes. It excels at safely sepearting and trapping particles in it's microfiber micro strands. We suggest removing the tag for maximum paint safe use.

Ultra Plush Microfiber Towel - When using a quick detailer you want the plushest towel available to pull any contamination away from the surface. With the extra thick nap, you can effectively use a quick detailer to remove a light dusting on your paint without worry of adding micro scratches to your paint's finish. Keep one of these in your glove compartment along with a quick detailer for emergency removal of bird droppings or water spotting. Easier to remove products like sealants, waxes and spray on protection work great with this towel.

Glass Microfiber Towels - When you are going for that ultimate streak free finish you want your last wipe to be with a thin nap glass specific microfiber towel. The low nap allows you to properly distribute pressure which helps ensure no cleaning product or contaminates are left behind. Work this towel slowly over your glass while applying light to medium pressure to reveal a streak free finish.

Properly Caring For Microfiber Towels:

Always remove tags from your microfiber towels. This helps ensure that you are taking every precaution to minimize adding imperfections to your paints surface.

Always wash your microfiber towels before your first usage. This will help remove any particles that may have stuck on the microfiber fibers during shipping and handling.

Store 3-5 towels using Ziploc double zipper gallon bags (quart bags for applicator pads) to ensure you do not contaminate you towels during storage.

Rinse your towels immediately after usage before a product, like a polish, sealant or wax, can dry on them.

Always wash your microfiber towels prior to the next usage.

Wash between 25~30 towels per load.

Do not wash microfiber towels with any other fabrics.

Use liquid detergent with no fabric softener or bleach

Use less detergent than the suggested amount by manufacturer (about half or more than half).

During rinse cycle, add some white distilled vinegar to help dissolve detergent. (1 tablespoon per 16x16 towel)

You can wash with hot water. There is no household water hot enough to ruin your towel or the performance of the towel.

When drying, you can air dry / hot / medium / tumble, anything you like, but never ever use fabric softener.
Reason why you shouldn't use fabric softener with Microfiber:

Deposits a chemical coating on the fabric that you really don't want to transfer to your car's finish or windows.

Clogs the microfiber strands, reducing absorbency and cleaning ability, leading to possible streaking.

Fabric softener in any form (in detergent, rinse additive, dryer sheets) deposits silicone on the fabric to make it appear softer to the touch but reduce absorbency.
Noob
zane.mk1
Major
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Audi RS3
Membership No: missing

Re: Caring for you MicroFibers

Post by zane.mk1 »

How often should one rotate microfibers? i.e buy new ones.

I use my wash mit, drying towels mainly for my own car about once a week.
His: '18 Nardo Grey Audi RS3
Hers: '19 VW T-Cross 1.0 TSI Highline DSG
Weekender: 'Searching for a neat enough VR6...
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

zane.mk1 wrote:How often should one rotate microfibers? i.e buy new ones.

Depends on how well you care for them.

Mine are separated into 'categories' so I avoid cross-contamination.

They get washed in these 'groups' after each detail

It really depends on what you want to use them for,...... so in other words, if one of my decent towels I use only on detailed paint post LSP happens to fall on the ground and pick up some bits of leaves etc, it won't see paint again.... but will become part of the 'dirty work' category of towels.....

If you wash/dry/store them properly, they should last you a looooooong time.... I have some that are at least 3 or 4 years old, and are still going strong.

MF Towel car is much like paint care..... do it right and it lasts.... do it wrong and you replace often :thumbup:
zane.mk1
Major
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Model: Audi RS3
Membership No: missing

Post by zane.mk1 »

lawrence wrote:
zane.mk1 wrote:How often should one rotate microfibers? i.e buy new ones.

Depends on how well you care for them.

Mine are separated into 'categories' so I avoid cross-contamination.

They get washed in these 'groups' after each detail

It really depends on what you want to use them for,...... so in other words, if one of my decent towels I use only on detailed paint post LSP happens to fall on the ground and pick up some bits of leaves etc, it won't see paint again.... but will become part of the 'dirty work' category of towels.....

If you wash/dry/store them properly, they should last you a looooooong time.... I have some that are at least 3 or 4 years old, and are still going strong.

MF Towel car is much like paint care..... do it right and it lasts.... do it wrong and you replace often :thumbup:
I normally store my microfibers in a box neatly folded.

After each wash I hang my drying towel wash mit and mf clotch(which I use for my windows.) to dry, fold them up an store them in a box.

my wife handwashed them for me only once.
His: '18 Nardo Grey Audi RS3
Hers: '19 VW T-Cross 1.0 TSI Highline DSG
Weekender: 'Searching for a neat enough VR6...