Leather dye and lacquer?

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Leather dye and lacquer?

Post by Howie-WP »

My Touareg's steering wheel needs some love, so I am looking (mainly) for leather clear lacquer (maybe some dye) But the top layer / seal is the main issue. Any idea where in Cpt or SA I can get this? :driving:
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Leather dye and lacquer?

Post by VAG Fan »

I recently bought a leather and vinyl repair kit from Game, to refurbish my Mk4 steering wheel and gear know [Edit: knob], but haven't actually tried it yet.
https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/All-G ... p/00007651
It has some vinyl mixture, some fabric patches/gaiters (IIRC), and dye powders for matching colours.
It doesn't have any clear topcoat, though.

I shopped around extensively, and other than this kit, I found nothing in SA. I'd be very interested to read what you find.
Last edited by VAG Fan on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

VAG Fan wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 am I recently bought a leather and vinyl repair kit from Game, to refurbish my Mk4 steering wheel and gear know, but haven't actually tried it yet.
https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/All-G ... p/00007651
It has some vinyl mixture, some fabric patches/gaiters (IIRC), and dye powders for matching colours.
It doesn't have any clear topcoat, though.

I shopped around extensively, and other than this kit, I found nothing in SA. I'd be very interested to read what you find.
I have pretty much done the same as you and I have bought the same kit (also not tried yet). I am gonna see if I can speak to leather goods manufacturers, and see what they use.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I did pop into a saddler's shop some years ago and asked for advice on repair kits and dye. They were not taken by the idea of a surface repair, and essentially said I should rather bring the steering wheel for re-covering.

They did give me a little sample bottle of black dye. It's very thin, looks and smells pretty much like permanent marker ink. It has absolutely no filling qualities.

This is why I bought the repair kit, because some of the pores on my steering wheel have opened, so the surface is no longer perfectly smooth. I expect it to look much worse once I clean it and remove the skin oils from years of grabbing. But I don't want to apply the repair filler to greasy, dirty leather.

Edit: and the deep-cleaning is a Rubicon that I'm just a bit too scared to cross...
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

So, interim solution...... bought a steering wheel cover (with VW logo nogal) :oops: for R40 and fitted it. Will help prevent further wear on the affected areas until I can get it refurbed. All in all not looking too bad for a interim job :driving: