Dash question

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Phat1983
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: BM Trouble u
Membership No: missing

Dash question

Post by Phat1983 »

Hi

How do i remove superglue residue from a vinyl dash (polo 6n, pre facelift) and what product would i use to restore it back to a nice matt black?

Thanks
Bm Trouble U, German just like VW
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Dash question

Post by VAG Fan »

I haven't tried this myself, but from my experience as a chemist, I would advise:

Superglue cures to a form of polyacrylate (family of acrylics, including perspex, etc.) These plastics are swellable in a range of organic solvents, but the best ones to use, if you can get them, are dichloromethane (methylene chloride) or trichloromethane (chloroform).

I would take a cotton bud and keep dabbing solvent onto the glue residue, until it becomes soft, then carefully try to lift/scrape it off using a paint scraper blade that is neither too sharp nor too blunt.

The chloro-solvents are very volatile. It may be difficult to "soak" the superglue residue. So, instead of solvent that just keeps evaporating, you may want to try some methylene chloride based paint stripper (Nitro-mors is one example). This has a gel base which prevents the methylene chloride from evaporating too fast.

I think that if you work gradually, the vinyl should not be attacked too badly by the chloro-solvent.

Note: get adequate ventilation, or even better, use a gas mask that filters out volatile organic compounds.

Others may advise on how to restore the matt black.

[Edit: I've also read that acetone, e.g. nail polish remover, will soften superglue residue, but can't vouch for that.]
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Phat1983
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: BM Trouble u
Membership No: missing

Re: Dash question

Post by Phat1983 »

Thanks, will try it and see
Bm Trouble U, German just like VW