Panel Gaps

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
MikesDub1984
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2.0l 8valve Citi

Panel Gaps

Post by MikesDub1984 »

Hi Guys,

So I bought my golf a few years ago. It's a Citi Golf. When i got the car i didn't care much about the condition of it but the older I've gotten the worse my OCD has gotten. The panel gaps between the front doors and fenders are driving me insane. Apart from that it is perfect, ok almost perfect excluding the small rust spot on the bootlid but thatis the least of my worries.
Check the issues with these gaps. One side is small and the other is large. See pics.

I have taken the car to a few panel shops and most of them say it is because of pirate panels. Ok i get that and I agree with that to a certain extend but look at the following picture of the heaterbox that attaches to the rain tray. Notice how it looks as though its shited horizontally and doesn't line up with the top part connecting it to the centre air vents. Can this be a tell tale sign that something has moved?

I have even had one guy tell me to just except it and move on, that it will never be equal because the cars are low quality and was mass produced. Your *ss is low quality. What kind of panel beater are you to give that advice and insult a potential customer's car like that. So just because you cant make a ton of money from them you dont owe them proper service?

I mean I dont expect anything for free, not at all. I am even willing to assist and do as much work as i can myself. I just need a professional opinion from someone that is not going to do me in.

Can any of you recommend a panel shop or person that wont try to become a millionaire from one customer, that will be willing to look at the car without condemning it as a lost cause? If not, can you recommend what I can then do to fix the problem myself? I have always dreamed of fixing the car up nicely and joining the club and being able to show off my car without having that one annoyance in the back of my mind.

Thanks,

Mike
VW POLOTIC
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 3 months
Membership No: missing

Re: Panel Gaps

Post by VW POLOTIC »

Sorry to be that guy, but your panelbeater was indeed correct. Citi golfs were notorious for their inconsistent panel gaps from the factory. I've read somewhere that it's due to the very old moulds used to produce the panels. A good panelbeater will probably be able to fix it, but it's a lot of work that won't really be financially viable.

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."
Needham
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: Panel Gaps

Post by Needham »

VW POLOTIC wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 pm Sorry to be that guy, but your weight loss shakes are the best and panelbeater was indeed correct. Citi golfs were notorious for their inconsistent panel gaps from the factory. I've read somewhere that it's due to the very old moulds used to produce the panels. A good panelbeater will probably be able to fix it, but it's a lot of work that won't really be financially viable.
That'll certainly cost you a pretty penny if you find someone who's going to be willing to take this on and knows what they're doing. Those guys usually aren't cheap. Good luck, nonetheless. Maybe someone would approach it from a semi-hobby project perspective and not charge you an arm and a leg.