Soap and microfibres

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Dirty Harry
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 3 months
Car Make: People Carrier
Car Model: footswagen
Membership No: 1640

Soap and microfibres

Post by Dirty Harry »

Howzit detailing gents

I havnt had a chance to try different soaps so would like to get an opinion on what's what out there. I have used Meguiars gold class as well as the wash and wax. I havnt really noticed any difference between different soaps unless I havnt tried the correct ones.

Then, I need to replace my wash mitt as well as my waffle weave driving cloth, reason I think so is my wash mitt looks rather tired and my waffle weave is useless after drying just the roof just about.
I was at builders earlier and saw a 10 pack of shield microfibre cloths for R125, they look ok? Or should I not waste my time?

Input will be appreciated.

Thanks
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: Soap and microfibres

Post by amstel18 »

Those mf towels are good for wheels, door jambs and under the bonnet.

I wouldn't ise them on my car's paint. Rather get the wash and dry kit from crazy detailer. Its well worth it. I've been using mine for about a year and a half and even though you shouldn't use only one ww to dry, i can do my entire car.

Read the diy Lawrence wrote in the detailing section.

Couldd be that your technique is lacking. If your car has a decent wax on it use the sheeting method to rinse most of the water away before using the towel. Also use a lubricant when drying to mist the surface, like a quick detailer or even ONR.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Dirty Harry
Captain

Post by Dirty Harry »

That's what I was thinking for the microfibres, can use on the windows as well.

Yeah look I definitely need wax, the water just sits on the roof and bonnet :lol:

I'll have a look at that thread, thanks.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Dirty Harry wrote:Howzit detailing gents

I havnt had a chance to try different soaps so would like to get an opinion on what's what out there. I have used Meguiars gold class as well as the wash and wax. I havnt really noticed any difference between different soaps unless I havnt tried the correct ones.

Then, I need to replace my wash mitt as well as my waffle weave driving cloth, reason I think so is my wash mitt looks rather tired and my waffle weave is useless after drying just the roof just about.
I was at builders earlier and saw a 10 pack of shield microfibre cloths for R125, they look ok? Or should I not waste my time?

Input will be appreciated.

Thanks
In my opinion Carchem Luxury Shampoo is one of the better options out there, especially when you factor in the dilution ratio and cost. Another option is Gyeon Bathe+, which has some protection built in - great for maintenance washes
Then there is another school of around using shampoos with NO gloss enhancers, as these will alter the water behavior of the underlying LSP.
FWIW Gold Class is also a decent shampoo, and I personally really like the way it smells.

In terms of wash mitts, the ones CD sells are perfect and I would strongly suggest at least 2 - one for the top (cleaner) half of the car and one for the bottom (dirtier) part of the car.

Same thing for the drying towels - get 2 and keep one to dry door jambs, wheels, honeycomb etc etc and the other to only dry clean paint and glass. Remember after you have rinsed, spray the car down with a drying aid and THEN dry with the WW drying towel - too many people wash/dry and then apply QD.... remember, the QD/drying aid is there to add lubrication between the paint and drying towel to help mitigate swirls.

About the only thing those cheap MF towels should touch would be tires, fender wells, exhaust tips, and maybe some interior grunt work. Any time a towel is touching your paint (and assuming you give a 'ish about the car) only use a QUALITY mf towel....

Oh and nice advice Amstel :thumbup: :hurray:
Dirty Harry
Captain

Post by Dirty Harry »

Ok cool. Just wanted to find out as there as some soaps that help lift dirt etc? Have not really experienced any difference hence the question. I'll have a look at the ones mentioned thanks.

I will keep my current mitt for the bottom and use the new one for the top.
The only other MF I use are the grey ones from Crazy Detailer on the paint/windows.

I currently do that with my cloths. Use separate ones for doors jams etc etc. I only use the WW for paint work.
QD - quick detailer? I will have to try out next time.

I need to force myself to spend some time polishing to get the paint at a maintenance point. Problem is, being a 4x4 doesnt help too much :lol:

Thanks for the help guys.