Zenith Grey Seat Leon Cupra - Detailed by Lawrence

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Zenith Grey Seat Leon Cupra - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by lawrence »

This belongs to Smok3X on the forum, who was in Durban between Christmas and New Year and so was able to leave the car with me for a few days allowing me the opportunity to give it a proper detail.

Here is a link to his ride's thread http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=192956

When cleaning your car, you should always start with the dirtiest area first and progressively work cleaner. This prevents having to clean the same area twice, reducing time, product usage and most importantly, the chance for swirls. The microfibre towels you use to touch the surface you are cleaning, should, IMO, follow the same approach, with your plushest cleanest towels only coming into play on perfectly clean paint, and towels in worse condition being reserved for things like wiping clean the fender liner for example, and as many categories in between as you deem fit.

If I am detailing an engine bay, it's always where I will start so I have the opportunity to clean up any product, dirt or water that gets onto the fenders, front windscreen or anywhere else, during the wash - if not, its usually with the wheels, which can be as dirty or sometimes even more dirty than the engine bay.

So the first order of business was to remove this from the underside of the bonnet.

Looks clean enough right?

Wrong.... :lol:

First it was vacuumed, then some of the product sprayed into the MF towel which was then used to rub it clean. Then wiped down again with a damp clean MF towel. The little plastic clips were cleaned and dressed with Autofinesse Dressel before it was put back in place after I had finished the rest of the engine bay detail. I then forgot to take a few decent before shots of the dirt in the bay itself, but did get this during the taping up of the sensitive areas I didn't want to get wet (it was still a work in progress at this stage). The bay was quite dirty though.

Once I had protected I didn't want to get wet I first cleaned the underside of the bonnet using Carchem Citrus APC @ 1:5 and various brushes then HP rinsed it. Again, you wouldn't start in the bay itself, then do the underside of the bonnet and allow that dirt to drip back down onto the clean bay - common sense, but you'd be surprised.... :crazy:

Then the bay itself was done, using the same approach. I then blew dry the underside of the bonnet and the bay itself and removed all the protective tape/plastic wrap/packets etc (these sections were cleaned using the same product and a combination of q-tips, mf towels and brushes. The painted surfaces were then cleaned/polished/protected using Autofinesse Tripple on a MF hand applicator which was then left to cure overnight. The bay itself was then liberally dressed with Autofinesse Dressel which was then also left on overnight. The following morning I buffed off the Tripple (any dust the falls onto any plastics in the bay is then wiped away when you wipe there - again, don't work backwards) and buffed off of the Dressel residue .

This was the end result.

Then it was time to tackle the arches, tires, brake calipers and wheels.

This is how they looked on arrival.

After having already mixed up some shampoo - Cyclo Polymer Hand Wash with some hot water - in my 'wheels' bucket (fitted with a grit guard) and placed all the brushes [Speedmaster and Speedmaster Jnr, Wheel Woolies, Mothers Fenderwell Brush, Mothers Tire Brush and Valet Pro Boars Hair Brushes] in the bucket and allow them to soak for about 20 min to half an hour to allow them to soften up before use, It was time t get cleaning.

I also removed the plastic lug nut covers and placed them in the wheels bucket to start cleaning themselves :lol: Later these would be dressed with Autofinesse Dressel before being put back in place

Then onto the process itself.

- HP rinse arches, tires and wheels to remove any loose dirt, debris, brake dust etc
-Spray arches with a Carchem APC at 1:5 through a foaming trigger head, allow to dwell, then scrub using various brushes
- HP rinse
- Clean tires with Valet Pro Billberry Wheel Cleaner @ 1:6 and a Mothers Tire brush.
- HP rinse
- Repeat tire cleaning
- HP rinse
-Wash wheels and brake calipers with VP Bilberry Wheel Cleaner @ 1:6
- HP rinse
- Quick Dry with WW drying towel
- Remove tar using Valet Pro Citrus Tar Remover and MF towels
- Spray with APC, let it dwell a bit, then HP Rinse to remove any remaining tar remover residue
- Quick Dry with WW drying towel
- Remove bonded and embedded ferrous contaminants on wheels and brake calipers with Carchem Revolt, Speedmaster (big and small) brushes and Valet Pro Boars Hair Brushes
- HP Rinse + flood rinse
- Spray Gyeon Wetcoat onto the wheel, let it sit for a few moments, then blast with a HP washer

(later in the detail)
- Tires dressed with 2 coats of Optimum Tire Shine.
- Arch liners sprayed with Autofinesse Dressel

After

Now that the dirty engine bay and wheels were taken care of, it was time to tackle the rest.

Here is how she looked....

To start with the car was given a thorough HP rinse to remove as much dirt as possible. Then I used Anglewax Fast Foam to foam the car.

While the foam was dwelling the grills and emblems were agitated

And the door and boot shuts were sprayed with Carchem APC via foaming trigger head and agitated.

Then everything was HP rinsed off and the car given a 2 bucket wash with Carchem Luxury Shampoo and Lambswool Wash Mitts.

Another HP rinse, a very quick dry to remove most of the standing water, not all, and then a liberal spraying of Carchem Revolt, which was then covered with another layer of Angelwax Fast Foam and worked over the paint using a dedicated Wash Mitt.

Finally the car was HP rinsed, flood rinsed and pulled into the garage to be clayed (using Shield Heavy Duty Clay - there was still a fair amount of gunk on the car).

So, on to the correction.... the paint readings were fairly typical (if there is such a thing) [110µ to 140µ]....

But to achieve an acceptable level of correction I needed to resort to the Blue Lake Country Wool Pads, Menzerna FG400 on the Flex 3401, followed by SF4000 on the Black hybrid.

So in preparation for polishing I removed the side markers, cleaned out the other guys wax (which as you can see from the below, was pretty much everywhere.

And obviously taped off any edges I didn't want to run over

Then corrected the paint so it looked like this

Another example

Before

After

Before

After

The B-pillars being much softer, require a much less aggressive approach - Menzerna 3-in-1 on White Hybrid Pad on the Flex

Before

After

Before

After

Then I applied a coat of Menzerna Powerlock, left it on for an hour and buffed it off.

In the meantime the exhaust tip was first cleaned using Carchem APC via a foaming trigger which was then left to dwell and agitated with MF Towels (on the outside) and brushes (on the inside). Then it was polished using Mothers Aluminium Polish.

Before

After

Other things done:

Interior
- Blow out loose dirt with blower
- Vacuum
- Upholstery cleaned and with Glossworx Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner
- Plastics and dash cleaned with Carchem APC then given a final wipe using Autofinesse Spritz
- Final Vacuum

Glass

- Clayed using Shield Heavy Duty clay with ONR as lube
- Front windscreen polished using Autoglym Glass Polish on a Green Lake Country Polishing Pad on the Flex 3401. Then 2 coats of Wynn's C-Thru were applied.
-The remaning glass (inside and out) was cleaned using Autoglym Fast Glass

Door and window rubbers
- Cleaned using Shield Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner
- Protected using Aerospace 303

Exterior plastic trim/honeycomb
- Cleaned using Shield Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner
- Dressed using Carchem Tire and Trim Gel

Badges
- Autofinesse Tripple, Q-tips and MF towels

Before

After

Then a final coat of Autofinesse Glisten was applied to the paint

Some after shots of the paint in the sun

And then some general after pics

Image[/URL]

And a couple the owner sent me

Total time spent = 31 hours

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this, and any questions or comments are welcome

:hi:
Donnie Darko
Colonel
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Membership No: 1834

Re: Zenith Grey Seat Leon Cupra - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by Donnie Darko »

Absolutely amazing Lawrence as usual :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Ex: 2016 BMW M4
Ex: 2016 Audi RS3 8V
Ex: 2016 VW Golf 7 ED40 Clubsport DSG
Ex: 2012 VW Golf 6 ED35 Manual - 342WHP and 500NM
Ex: 2015 BMW F21 M135i Sport Auto - 393.2WHP and 639NM
Ex: 2013 BMW F20 M135i Sport Auto - 332WHP and 626NM
Ex: 2012 Golf R DSG - 300WHP and 473NM
Ex: 2010 Scirocco DSG 155KW - 300.8WHP and 416NM
Ex: 2008 Ford Focus ST - 262.2WHP and 425NM
Ex: 2006 Golf 5 GTI DSG
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

The attention to detail is just out of this world :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Awesome job Lawrence :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
crumbs
Race Chip
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Model: Citi Rox 1.6i
Membership No: missing

Post by crumbs »

Amazing how this color pops :hurray:
Cornel
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 320D

Post by Cornel »

bliksem all that work in just 31hours. not bad

looks amazing well done
Uvy
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 20 years
Car Make: VW and Seat
Car Model: MK2 GTi 16V Golf
Membership No: 1740

Post by Uvy »

speechless
Heaven on Earth - VAG for life
Mbuzi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: Q5
Membership No: 1964

Post by Mbuzi »

:drool: :hurray:
Great work L, once again thanks for another informative write-up
cli 16v
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: CX5

Post by cli 16v »

I just love a properly detailed car, Well done Lawrence. Did mine over the holidays and damn I'm loving the paint gloss and scratch free paint. I must say this is back breaking work.
Ex:
13' Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T SE - OEM+
'15 MKVII GTi
'07 MKV GTi OEM+
'89 MKII Golf CSL OEM
'97 MKIII GTi Exec
'92 MKII Jetta CLi 2.0 16v Exec
Tander
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Leon Cupra
Membership No: 1713

Post by Tander »

Stunning work. Would love to detail mine when I get enough time off. :cool:

Current Rides:
2008 SEAT Leon Cupra - Banshee

Exes:
2006 Polo 9N3 - 1.6i
2003 Citi.com 1.3
2003 Opel Corsa Lite
Smok3X
Captain
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: LEON CUPRA 2.0 TFSi K04
Membership No: 3083

Post by Smok3X »

I must say a huge thank you to Lawrence for the simply amazing work done on this car.

I have always wanted a Lawrence detail done on my car, and with this LC of mine I just could not resist...and damn! Its worth every penny!

The pictures do not do it justice at all, you have to see it in the flesh and in the sunlight! You cannot believe how much detail is in that paint work until you see it in this condition.

The paint just looks wet all the time and has this deep rich colour to it.

The lack of swirl marks is also such a pleasure to see...and that engine bay! Its like a brand new car!

In my opinion, the thing that separates Lawrence (A Professional) vs the average detailer... is his experience, tools and professionalism!

He explains everything in detail (Excuse the pun) and is also not out there to make the paint work 100% flawless... there is actually a fine balance between having a 100% perfect finish and the amount of clear coat left to protect your Daily driver! This I never knew...and you as the owner get to chose what you want for the detail, based on his guidance, which I found very good!

There are a lot of guys out there that do not know what they are doing and in an attempt to get the perfect finish, can actually damage your paint work by removing too much clear coat and leaving you with zero protection! Which sadly we found on my car in a tiny spot! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Overall, I'm very happy with the final outcome and now just want to put the car in a museum and preserve this look forever!

Huge Thanks to Lawrence for an awesome job and great service...he comes highly recommended by me!

Although..there is a waiting list of a few MONTHS at the moment :crazy:
Current:
Leon CUPRA - 2.0TFSi K04--> Rides Thread
169WKW@Dark Artz - Stock
229WKW@Dark Artz - RevO 2+

Ex:
Ibiza CUPRA - 1.8 20V - Hybrid Turbo-->Rides Thread
Revo:182KW and 399NM@Experience
ABF Citi Golf - 2.0L 16V--->Rides Thread
FRC - 124KW and 198NM@Auto Trix
1/4 Mile:14.61s
1ST Place - 4AF2 Margate 31st Oct 2010

ImageImageImage
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Donnie Darko wrote:Absolutely amazing Lawrence as usual :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Thanks bud
Unobeat wrote:The attention to detail is just out of this world :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Awesome job Lawrence :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Thank you
crumbs wrote:Amazing how this color pops :hurray:
Thanks bud
Cornel wrote:bliksem all that work in just 31hours. not bad

looks amazing well done
Thanks - believe me in the heat we have been having, those 31 hours felt like 31 days :lol:
Fanatix Boy wrote:speechless
:grin: Thanks UV
Mbuzi wrote::drool: :hurray:
Great work L, once again thanks for another informative write-up
Thanks, and its a pleasure putting the write-ups together - hopefully someone will learn from it, and keep their own car in better shape :thumbup:
cli 16v wrote:I just love a properly detailed car, Well done Lawrence. Did mine over the holidays and damn I'm loving the paint gloss and scratch free paint. I must say this is back breaking work.
Thanks bud. Yeah detailing is hard work, even when polishing by machine...but the results make it all worth it.
Smok3X wrote:*snip*
Firstly, thanks for trusting me with your baby and giving me the opportunity to give her a detail - I know it couldn't have been all that great being down on holiday and not having your car with you. Secondly, thanks for your kind words bud. Much appreciated and I am really happy you are happy :hurray:

I just want to expand a little on something you mentioned in terms of chasing perfection....one must remember that the purpose of the clear coat on modern cars is to protect the underlying base coat from oxidising/fading. The trend is for OEM's to keep spraying the paint thinner and thinner on the car, in an attempt to reduce cost and their environmental footprint. In some cases they will only paint such that the paint thickness is only slightly thicker than it needs to be to remain structurally sound - they know that most car owners don't really know much about paint or how to protect it, and can easily 'blame' the customer when clear coats fail citing improper care as the cause.

To put things into perspective, the paint on most cars is about as thick as one of those little yellow post-it-notes when it rolls out the factory....then over the life of the vehicle, more and more paint is removed as it is scratched and the polished, constantly thinning out the already thin paint. So the objective of any good detailer should be to remove as LITTLE paint as possible to preserve the integrity of the protective clear coat and to educate the customer as to why. Instead all too often a detailer will chase perfection, partly to feed their own OCD tendencies, partly to feed their own ego, and partly to impress the customer, and actually do more long term harm to the car than good.

On a typical daily driver with an OEM paint job clear coat preservation should always trump perfection in my opinion.... repainted panels can (generally) survive more clear coat removal as the repainted panels are typically painted around twice the thickness of OEM paint, but again, perfection on the daily shouldn't be the objective, especially if you are not yet in a position to maintain the finish 100%.

When it comes to custom paint jobs, typically found on show cars / trailer queens, the painter would have laid down a much thicker clear (up to 3 or 4 times OEM thickness) knowing that the owner would want the paint PERFECT and so in these cases, one can (and probably would) chase perfection.

The one area where the clear had been completely removed through polishing was on one of the raised body lines on the front bumper and when looking at the location, it was easy to imagine how it happened. The person polishing the bumper was more than likely using a rotary and wool pad which was way to big for the area being polished. When the pad then runs over the raised body line, it is only in contact with a small area of the paint and therefore all the cutting force/pressure is concentrated over that raised line, increasing the rate at which the paint is removed. Had that person exercised some common sense and actually had some pride in what they do, they may have run some tape over the raised body line and prevented what will now be a full repaint on the bumper to fix their bugger up.

Oh.... and the waiting list now stretches to June :eek: :crazy: :fear: so anyone thinking of getting their car done would be best served to make a booking ASAP

:hi:
Sebz
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Model: 135i E82 N54 ST 6MT
Membership No: 3020

Post by Sebz »

Incredible work... Those b pillars pop! And rest assured, you definitely teach at least me something new about looking after my own car with every write-up you do.. So thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Single turbo BMW 135i N54 6MT

Ex's:
Brilliant BMW 135i E82 N55 6MT
Stupidly static THANAS Tuned '05 Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSi

Definitely down-to-earth '03 Audi A3 8L 1.8T
Ludicrously lowered K04 '03 Audi A4 Avant B6 1.8T
Sorta slammed '15 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.6
Stock standard '05 Opel Corsa D Ute 1.4
Ridiculously reliable '81 VW Passat CSL Estate 2.2 5-pot

It's not how you stand by your car; it's how you scrape your car. You better learn that.
NicoSamChinna
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 9 months
Car Model: Polo 6R GTi
Membership No: 3212

Post by NicoSamChinna »

Awesome work Lawrence
2012 Golf MK6 GTI
TSC
FR&R TUNED
zane.mk1
Major
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Model: Audi RS3

Post by zane.mk1 »

Ze master has outdone himself!

:hurray:
His: '18 Nardo Grey Audi RS3
Hers: '19 VW T-Cross 1.0 TSI Highline DSG
Weekender: 'Searching for a neat enough VR6...
Djin
Crazydetailer
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Djin »

Epic work bud. Nice turn around.

Posted from my Note 4

Email - Info@crazydetailer.co.za
Shop 8. WorldWear Center, Fairlands, JHB
Store Tel : 011 476 5409
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Sebz wrote:Incredible work... Those b pillars pop! And rest assured, you definitely teach at least me something new about looking after my own car with every write-up you do.. So thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NicoSamChinna wrote:Awesome work Lawrence
Thank you
zane.mk1 wrote:Ze master has outdone himself!

Thanks Zane
Djin wrote:Epic work bud. Nice turn around.

Posted from my Note 4
Thanks Pravin
Uvy
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 20 years
Car Make: VW and Seat
Car Model: MK2 GTi 16V Golf
Membership No: 1740

Post by Uvy »

still speechless
Heaven on Earth - VAG for life
DINODENASH
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Model: BMW e46 Individual

Post by DINODENASH »

Top Work !!! :drool:
TDISmoker
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VAG
Car Model: 6R GTI | LC

Post by TDISmoker »

Admire the work you do, you give it so much attention. Very well done.
2018 Toyota Tuna

Ex:
2014 Polo 6R GTI | Xenons, DRL's | Pano Roof | LED Fogs | LED Interior
2016 Ford Ranger met lekke tekke!
2007 9n3 Sportline 129wkw 445nm
2003 VW Chico
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Fanatix Boy wrote:still speechless
Thanks UV
DINODENASH wrote:Top Work !!! :drool:
Thanks Dino :hug:
TDISmoker wrote:Admire the work you do, you give it so much attention. Very well done.
Thank you
DINODENASH
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Model: BMW e46 Individual

Post by DINODENASH »

Top notch work L !!
Just remove the plates and put a permit and you'd swear its brand new !!!
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Rsi huntered »

when i read the first line, i said is this car going for a detail again :lol: :fear: :fear:

then looked at the date again :oops:
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex