Need to clean my interior!! HELP!

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Chevy
Car Model: Sonic 1.6 LS B&W

Need to clean my interior!! HELP!

Post by King8v »

Hi Guys

I am in desparate need to clean my interior! My 3year old son, messed some milk in my car on the Saturday and its ponging like a mofo! :puke: Now i wanted to take it for a clean at a decent place, but after checking prices, i was like :bang: I see that a lot of you are quite good at what you do, so i need advice please.

What can be used on the seats and carpets? And where can i get it? How much does it cost? What does one use to wash/clean, besides a vacuum cleaner?

As it i summer now, and the weather in CT is nice, i would not mind to do this myself. I just need to know what must be used.

TIA guys, really appreciate it. :thumbup:
****My VW goes BWaaaaaaaH Ppsshh****

My ride: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php ... i&start=25
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Membership No: missing

Re: Need to clean my interior!! HELP!

Post by Yakuza Racer »

[insert Lawrence]
Thupercharged S4
JVA
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A4 B8 3.0Tdi

Post by JVA »

Apparently leaving a cup of vinegar inside the car overnight removes bad odors.
Get some carpet cleaner and use a brush to clean the stain, or rent one of those wet/dry vacuum cleaners.
King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by King8v »

Yeah iv heard about that too. I think its similar to leaving onions in vinegar when painting your house the night bef Eid/Christmas, lol

Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Citi 1.9i 8v

Post by Naku786 »

1893cc racecar - back in the garage
Solo786 wrote:after you bust the rsi , should have put down the window and asked "Do you even lift bro?"
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

The first thing you want to do is suck up as much of the remaining 'liquid' as you can - if possible lift up any carpets to get any liquid trapped under there.

Then you can try pouring baking soda over the area where the milk was spilled. Let stand overnight. Vacuum to remove baking soda (which has now hopefully sucked up some more liquid you could not vacuum up).

If the smell remains, try treating the area with white vinegar. Let sit for 15 minutes, then blot excess vinegar with paper towels. (do a test spot on an inconspicuous area to test for color fastness first). If vinegar fails to beat the stink, tackle it with an enzyme odor remover which is where the nasty smell will come from (the bacteria in the spilled milk, and so you need something that will break down the enzymes

Allow the area to dry completely: residual moisture can cause mildew
Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer

Post by Naku786 »

I eventually stripped the interior as I saw as an opportunity to regrease the rails, fit new slider guides, change the felt...

Ended giving the carpet a good scrub though
Solo786 wrote:after you bust the rsi , should have put down the window and asked "Do you even lift bro?"
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Naku786 wrote:I eventually stripped the interior as I saw as an opportunity to regrease the rails, fit new slider guides, change the felt...

The ideal would be to remove the carpeting and give everything a good clean while you are at it, but didn't wanna suggest that as the first option as you may get away without removing the seats and carpets, which for some may be a big job
King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by King8v »

:hurray: :hurray: Thanks gents. How difficult is it to remove the seats? As i would like to do this all in one go, ie the seats (take them out if best) and the carpet also. I have had a stint at lifting the carpet, when i tried to find a possible leak, but got stuck with the centre console being in the way. Any way, i will try the above mentioned later, as i finish work early today.

Once again thanks for the advice guys. BIG BIG :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by Yakuza Racer »

King8v wrote::hurray: :hurray: Thanks gents. How difficult is it to remove the seats? As i would like to do this all in one go, ie the seats (take them out if best) and the carpet also. I have had a stinit at lifting the carpet, when i tried to find a possible leak, but got stuck with the centre console being in the way. Any way, i will try the above mentioned later, as i finish work early today.

where you live?

get a 2L coke and gatsby and i'll come give you a hand :thumbup:
Thupercharged S4
Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer

Post by Naku786 »

lawrence wrote:
Naku786 wrote:I eventually stripped the interior as I saw as an opportunity to regrease the rails, fit new slider guides, change the felt...

The ideal would be to remove the carpeting and give everything a good clean while you are at it, but didn't wanna suggest that as the first option as you may get away without removing the seats and carpets, which for some may be a big job
In a Citi golf? nah takes like 15-20 min to strip the interior, you only need a size 17/19 spanner, flat & star screwdriver
King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by King8v »

yakuza racer wrote:
King8v wrote::hurray: :hurray: Thanks gents. How difficult is it to remove the seats? As i would like to do this all in one go, ie the seats (take them out if best) and the carpet also. I have had a stinit at lifting the carpet, when i tried to find a possible leak, but got stuck with the centre console being in the way. Any way, i will try the above mentioned later, as i finish work early today.

where you live?

get a 2L coke and gatsby and i'll come give you a hand :thumbup:
You know mos, Woodstock. Im at home on thursday. If i dont come right over the next few days, il let you know. :thumbup:

King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by King8v »

Naku786 wrote:
lawrence wrote:

In a Citi golf? nah takes like 15-20 min to strip the interior, you only need a size 17/19 spanner, flat & star screwdriver
Guides/ pics? I have looked at how to do this, but dont smaak to make a fcukup! :lol:

Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer

Post by Naku786 »

front seat removal

http://www.toplessrabbit.com/forums/vie ... =27&t=2186

Rear seat removal

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/show ... l-DIY-help

Once the seats are removed should look something like this

on the rear seat section you will find these, they are secured with a star screw driver

At each door sill there is a trim piece that needs to be removed, you can use a flat screwdiver to assist

at the bottom of the front seats seatbelt there is a plastic trim piece that you need to remove, it is secured by a 17/19 bolt ( i cannot find a pic but its directly below the seat belt main unit.

Moving to the front of the car you need to unclip the gear boot from the center console & there is a star screw located in the section infront of the cup holders (best pic I could find)

Last few thing you need to remove is the bonnet opener mounting, 2 x star screws & the accelerator pedal also 2 x star screws & the carpet trim on each door under the dash.

The carpet will either be glued or stuck with soft sealer, dont just rip it out, be gentle
King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by King8v »

And here I thought i could do this in a day! :crazy: :crazy: This is mos a whole weekend affair! :eek: But :thumbup: for the guides. I will need to do this while on leave.

Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer

Post by Naku786 »

LOL its not a lot of work trust me, the most difficult I would say is putting the from seat back lol
VivianDunn
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by VivianDunn »

Have you tried like carpet cleaning services? I think they have custom packages for that kind of problem.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Homema ... -Solution/
Last edited by VivianDunn on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

VivianDunn wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:08 pm Have you tried like carpet cleaning services? I think they have custom packages for that kind of problem.
I am sure that 6 years ago when he posted this, he got the carpets clean....
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

Jetta2 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:24 pm
VivianDunn wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:08 pm Have you tried like carpet cleaning services? I think they have custom packages for that kind of problem.
I am sure that 6 years ago when he posted this, he got the carpets clean....
Or, maybe he decided he liked the smell of ponging milk?
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Rsi huntered »

lawrence wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:08 am The first thing you want to do is suck up as much of the remaining 'liquid' as you can - if possible lift up any carpets to get any liquid trapped under there.

Then you can try pouring baking soda over the area where the milk was spilled. Let stand overnight. Vacuum to remove baking soda (which has now hopefully sucked up some more liquid you could not vacuum up).

If the smell remains, try treating the area with white vinegar. Let sit for 15 minutes, then blot excess vinegar with paper towels. (do a test spot on an inconspicuous area to test for color fastness first). If vinegar fails to beat the stink, tackle it with an enzyme odor remover which is where the nasty smell will come from (the bacteria in the spilled milk, and so you need something that will break down the enzymes

Allow the area to dry completely: residual moisture can cause mildew
Good to know, thanks for the info Lawrence :hug:
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex