DIY - Polo 6R Fog Light Change

Forum for questions that are asked on a frequent basis...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
pyro-zn
Major
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7R
Membership No: 2072

DIY - Polo 6R Fog Light Change

Post by pyro-zn »

One of my fog lights decided to give up a week back. Was rather embarrassing since I had my fogs on a few days without noticing, until a friend told me that I'm driving with one fog only :crazy:

I went to Midas and asked for the replacement bulb (didn't wanna spend too much as I will get the HID kits from Jab in the near future). The guy says that he has these Ice White bulbs for me... so I ask him, how long do they last compared to the OEM ones with daily driving, and he tells me "it depends on how long you keep your fogs on" :lol: Realising that is his only answer, I tried not to laugh and I walked out.

I bought a replacement bulb from Autozone. Here it goes ...

Firstly, VW supplied the tools to remove the cover and the fog light. It is located in tools holder above the spare wheel. I cannot find the hook needed, so I used an allen key. Hook it into the hole at the bottom of the fog. You can remove this cover without the hook if you're comfortable:

Once the two screws are removed from the bottom, you may press the two clips at the top and release the fog light. Do not pull hard, cause the cables to the fog are still attached. :geek:

The bulb is H8 (35watt). Some people have used the H11 (55watt) with no issues (housing melted etc), but I said I will wait for the HIDs.

While the fog is out, it is best to clean the area, especially if it is as filthy as this :fear:

Test that the bulb works, you don't want to reassemble everything, only to learn that the bulb does not work.

Reassemble everything in the reverse order and done. :hug:

Current: '17 Golf VII R
Ex: '12 TR Golf Vi GTi DSG ::: Revo3 - thread
Ex: '07 Polo GTi (Take 2) ::: FR&R Tuned (163wkw 385nm) - thread
Ex: '13 Polo 1.4 Comfortline ::: PanoRoof | JOM Bluelines | 17" A-Line Racers | 17" VW Boavista's
by Borbet - thread
Ex: '07 Polo GTi ::: 76mm downpipe | 63mm exhaust | sLammeD - pics thread