DIY - Replacing a Wheel bearing/Hub on a Golf 5

Forum for questions that are asked on a frequent basis...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
G_baby
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Re: Can a wheel bearing go at 90 000kms?

Post by G_baby »

So I finally did my wheel bearings and heres a DIY guide for anyone else doing this. First off, a HUUUUGE HUGE thankyou to Viper from goldwagen delarey. This man went out of his way to help. Turns out my golf was the last of the golf 5's so vw decided to use the golf6 style "3 bolt" wheel bearing. The codes on the booth sticker listed both of the G5 bearings. Viper called vw(more than once) to find out exactly which bearing my car used. So once again thanks Viper.
PS. Im not a professional mechanic(Im in IT). But changing a wheel bearing is'not rocket science either. Use this guide at your own risk.

So here goes...First on the list is secure the rear wheels.

Remove the wheel roundel

The 27 bolt going through the CV is normally very tight. Mine wasnt really tight. I used some q20 here to help loosen the bolt.

Go ahead and loosen the 27 bolt. Some might use a mutispline socket here, Mine was a normal hex bolt. Then loosen the wheel nuts

Jack the car up and put it on a jack stand. A jack is not a jack stand. Then remove the wheel.

Open the brake fluid reservoir.

Use a screwdriver like so and pull towards you to push the brake caliper piston in a bit.

I used a cloth between the screwdriver and the brake disc to prevent the brake disc getting scratched/damaged

Remove the caps over the brake caliper floating bolts
G_baby
Enlisted

Post by G_baby »

This should reveal 2 torx bolts(top and bottom). Remove the torx bolts and slide the caliper over the brake disc and out.

Make sure you tie the caliper. we dont want to damage the brake hoses.

Remove the torx screw holding the disc in place

Spray a little q20 in here coz the disc might be siezed to the hub

While the q20 does it magic, remove the 27 dognut that you loosened earlier

Then pound the disc till it comes loose. Make sure u only hit the centre part as shown. DO NOT HIT THE EDGE OF THE DISC. I tried a rubber mallet but it didnt work here. Then a few shots with a steel hammer did the trick.

And its out

Remove the 3 bolts holding the ball joint under the control arm
G_baby
Enlisted

Post by G_baby »

Press the control arm down and pull the knuckle towards you

Should look like this.

Spray some q20 on the hub bolts that you going to remove. Here you can see the edge of the bolt sticking out.

Now we get to removing those 3 bolts.(could be 4 bolts in some other g5's). It uses a 12mm spline bit.

A better view. Make sure you hold the spline bit firmly into the head when removing these. The bolts are a bit tight and you dont want to round the head. Trust me on this one. I had to use a grinder to remove one after i rounded the head

Then the wheel bearing will be loose and you can just pul it out

Now clean all the grime out. Do not damage the abs sensor(seen at 2 o clock in this pic)

All cleaned. And a better pic of the sensor

Make sure u get a quality replacement....(from viper :) ) Comes with new bolts too

Do not damage the magnetic strip on the new bearing
G_baby
Enlisted

Post by G_baby »

Pop the new bearing in being very careful

I used some thread locker on the bolts holding the wheel bearing in. I dont know if its neccessary but im pretty paranoid after the ball joint ball came of my citi golf while i was driving. Luckily i just went up a small bank and stopped. Well i suppose your life depends on the suspension bolts, so threadlock it is.

Bolt on the new hub, and you good to go. I think i used 160Nm torque for these bolts. But it was pretty tight.

Now assemble in reverse order. Pop the CV back into the hub. Bolt on the ball joint. Brake disc, brake caliper, 27 dognut (also threadlocked this bolt, 200Nm), the wheel on again and you saved yourself a wad of cash.

PM me if you need help.
G