DIY Cruise Control on Polo 9N3 WITH pictures

Forum for questions that are asked on a frequent basis...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
jannnes
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '07 Polo 9N3 H/L

DIY Cruise Control on Polo 9N3 WITH pictures

Post by jannnes »

I could not find any detailed instructions on the internet to do this my self, so decided to make my own DIY!

Here goes....
First the fitting instructions from the internet ....badly translated from German by someone else.

The installation and in particular the expansion of the air bag must be performed by appropriately trained professionals! We accept no liability for damage caused by installation. This manual is an installation tool and has no claim to completeness.
Please disconnect the battery before any maintenance work. The installation is at your own risk, the KUFATEC shall be liable for any damages.
Please route the wiring in an appropriate manner invisible from the seats to the following ports.
Required components:
1 VAG Com software, Laptop, Diagnostic Line
2 Steering column with GRA function
3 Line set of www.kufatec.de

First, the engine control unit for GRA is coded. This login via computer with the diagnostic code 11 463 and engine control unit.
1. Small fairing next to the steering wheel (driver up with a screwdriver). The 2 torx screws from the diagnostic connector solve. Loosen the clamp from the front board controller and this bear down.
2. Trim around the steering wheel (only clipped)
3. Remove steering wheel. The right and left are from the back 2 approx. 8mm wide holes in the steering wheel. The steering wheel rotated 90 degrees. Now a middle screwdriver side up in this hole. Screwdriver and lift the airbag unit should disengage. Airbag unit separate from all the plugs and remove. Now the steering wheel to make it absolutely straight and release the inner drive screw and pull off the steering wheel. The position of the movable ring below may be changed under any circumstances. Now the compact connector solve (pull out the white slide lock). The steering column is released to the metal ring and against the new function with GRA changed.
4. Now the cable set is used. First, remove the cap on the side. Then, the individual cables plug into the compact connector.

PIN 26 - white
PIN 27 - red
PIN 28 - black
PIN 29 - white
PIN 30 - yellow
PIN 31 - blue
Then run the wiring along the cable channel on the steering column under the panel in the direction of the network control unit and at the same place the
black wire to the fuse box
and the white wire to the plug unit bulkhead.
5. Connect the white wire to the white 11-pin connector on the firewall. With a suitable light source (torch) you can see the plug on the end wall to the engine room through the small hole next to the steering column. If necessary, remove the relay bracket by pulling it. This has left and right locking hook. Time to move with a long screwdriver, first the metal lock to the left. Now remove the white plug to the inside (above the OFF position). The pink additional locking arm and insert the white wire in pin 10. Interlock the plug, plug in and do not forget metal latch.
To PIN 10 (here the red line), the white wire going from the harness.
6. To connect the power supply (Kl.87) the black wire of the GRA is cable set to secure the fuse holder connected SB4. The fuse holder can, after having loosened the two screws, push down into the foot well. First, remove the cap. The fuse is SB4 already occupied. Connect the black wire to the existing black / blue wire, solder and wrap with electrical tape. The fuse size must not be changed.
7. The brown connector coming from the bottom of the board XS3 controller with the name. The connector is coded it only fits into this one box.
8. Reassemble in reverse order. First screw the fuse holder, then secure the relay board and the network control unit, diagnostic connector screw cap and push the steering wheel.
From model year 2003, the display for the GRA (green icon in the centre) is the instrument panel as standard.

To further clarify the connections, as the German instructions weren't that clear even if you spreken ze deutch, which I don't, they are as follows.

1. (white) ECU 46 cruise on/off
2. (Blue) ECU 45 Resume
3. (red) ECU 44 Set
4. (Black) ECU 14 Enable cruise (& connect to ignition 12V for stalk)

The colours of course are arbitrary, 1 to 4 is the connection to the proper stalk control if required.

Enable & on/off I connected to 12V permanently (ignition switched), set & resume push switches are momentary connections to 12V.

All the connections can be tested in VAG COM by reading measuring block 022 in the engine controller (ECU)

00000X Enable cruise
0000X0 Cruise on/off
000X00 Set
00X000 Resume

Once enable & on/off are connected to 12V, a read of block 006 RHS box value shows a 1.0 indicating cruise is active.
PoloTdi Highline @ 239Hp & 619Nm ATF with old GT1749v
Performance:
| GT2256V | Full PD160 intake+Airbox+MAF+TIP | K&N | Seat Sport Intercooler | CoolingMist WMI | Custom DP 63mm+exhaust | 3Bar MAP | EGR Delete | Race Pipe |

My ride: http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=178395
jannnes
Cadet

Re: DIY Cruise Control on Polo 9N3 WITH pictures

Post by jannnes »

Please note: This is how I did it. I do not take responsibility if you damage any part of your vehicle or damage your airbag. You do it on your own risk!!!

This is what you need:

* Control arm with Cruise Control buttons (try second hand - dealers very expensive)
* Wire harness for Cruise Control ( try online from Kufatec.de or eBay)
* Cable ties
* Masking tape
* Torx bits / Allen keys
* Flash light
* A lot of patience to fit he final white wire!!!!!!!!

This is how the parts look.

The control arm was bought from a scrapyard for around R350. Its pretty expensive from the dealers so make your own decision where you want to buy.
The wiring is even more expensive from the dealers. I bought it of eBay from a company in Germany. Paid R350 shipping incl. Looks identical to the original with all the VW markings on.

The FIRST thing you do is to disconnect your battery!!!! This is VERY VERY VERY important!!!!

Then you sit behind the steering wheel.

Now you take of the top cover of the steering wheel. You lift it up and pull. Under the instrument cluster is a narrow black plastic cover attached to the piece of vinyl from the cover. This unclips by pulling it towards you.

Cover removed:

No look on top of the newly exposed part of the steering wheel. There will be TWO hex bolts that needs to be unscrewed:
...............oops the arrow moved!!!

Now you have to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left or right.
With a mirror or by touch you have to find the hole behind the steering wheel itself that will look like this:

The metal clip needs to be pushed towards the center of the steering wheel to release one side of the airbag. You might need to pull a bit on that side of the airbag once you push the clip in.

Now turn the steering wheel a full 180 degrees to the other side and do exactly the same with the clip in the hole on that side.

Once you are happy that BOTH clips have released, you can pull on the airbag and it will look like this:

Unclip the YELLOW plug you see in the picture to completely disconnect the airbag from the steering wheel and put it in a safe place.

Last edited by jannnes on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Performance:
| GT2256V | Full PD160 intake+Airbox+MAF+TIP | K&N | Seat Sport Intercooler | CoolingMist WMI | Custom DP 63mm+exhaust | 3Bar MAP | EGR Delete | Race Pipe |

jannnes
Cadet

Post by jannnes »

Now we need to unscrew the steering wheel by removing this bolt.

I did not have the right size torx bit to remove it but used a large allen key that fitted.

Removed:

Before you pull the steering wheel off you need to make your own mark on the steering wheel to make sure you put it back on center again. I used a flat screwdriver to have a more permanent mark.

Now you can pull of the steering wheel and put it aside.
Performance:

EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

and then? :lol:
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
jannnes
Cadet

Post by jannnes »

Now you have to look under the steering column and you will find another screw that needs to be removed and pull the lever down. You can then try and remove the plastic cover. It is a tight fit especially around the key hole but after a few tries you will get it off.

Now back to the top again. There is one more screw that needs to be loosened to release the whole control arm mechanism. No need to completely remove the screw but only loosen it.

This is the screw:

Now you can pull the mechanism off but watch out as it still has a plug with a lot of wires connected to it.

This is the plug where your new cruise control wire harness will be plugged into.

You first need to undo or cut this cable tie:

Then you pull on this white piece of plastic to release the plug from the mechanism:

Now you have to remove the white cover from the plug by pulling it upwards. It can only come off this way.

Last edited by jannnes on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Performance:

jannnes
Cadet

Post by jannnes »

Now you can take your new wire harness. We only need the blue, red, yellow , black and 2x white wires for now:
The other loose hanging black and white wires are for later. It needs to be connected to the fuse box (BLACK wire) and a plug on your firewall (WHITE wire).

Behind the grey plug you will see the empty slots that we need:

The next few pics will show exactly where each wire needs to go. The two white one's doesn't matter which go where:

Now make sure that they are ALL pushed in ALL the way (like the blue wire) and not only half way. You must not see the metal crimping parts anymore. I made this mistake and only realized it after EVERYTHING was put back together and couldn't figure out why its not working:

Make sure all the wires are neatly tucked in with others:

Now you connect it all back in reverse.
Put the white cover back onto the grey plug.
Replace the cable tie
Push the plug into your NEW control arms.
Push the white locking mechanism back:

Push the other side of your new wire harness along the steering column where you'll see the rest of the wires. I added a few cable ties to keep things neat.

Now everything back in reverse.
Put the new control arm back on the steering column and screw tight.
Put the steering wheel back on making sure that it aligns with the marks you made earlier ( hope you did!!!!) and screw tight.
Don't put the airbag back on now. Leave it until you are completely finished!!
Last edited by jannnes on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Performance:

Jordan
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Model: 9n3 PGTi

Post by Jordan »

yesss.....yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss...... :crazy: :drool: :drool:
CW '08 PGTi Uni 2, 76mm DP, Forge Dv008, Forge Tip, Seat IC FMIC
EX: 07' citi 1.4i
EX: 88' citi 1.6 sport
jannnes
Cadet

Post by jannnes »

The other end of your new wire harness will now be hanging on top of your pedals. You have to find a way to route it to the central convenience box, which is located under the dash, below the fuse box and above the gas pedal:

No you need to get on your knees and look under that part of the dash. A flash light might come in handy. You will see a black box with different plugs in. Your plug can only fit into one specific slot in that box. Find it and plug it in!!

Now tidy up the left over wire with a few cable ties.
Last edited by jannnes on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Performance:

jannnes
Cadet

Post by jannnes »

This was the easy part of this DIY and should have kept you busy for around 20-30 min....... if you struggled.

The next part is where things get complicated ...... and because of this there are no pictures available as I would have needed a small flexible camera....the kind you need for a prostate exam!!!!

But I'll try my best to walk you through it.

The loose hanging BLACK wire needs to be connected to your fuse box. The back of your fuse box is not so accessible as I was made to believe and wasted almost an hour to get it out. Don't even bother to try it.

You have to look for the bundle of wires coming out from behind the fuse box. It will be covered in cloth tape and be close too the bonnet release lever. There is not a lot of room to move about so you will find yourself in a lot of funny and vulnerable positions trying to get a comfortable position...... there aren't any!!!! So keep the miss. away with her camera and the dogs too!!

Take off some of the cloth tape to expose the wires. Look for the BLACK wire with the BLUE stripe. Now you need to tap into this wire without cutting it off completely. A sharp blade is very handy here. This is not an easy task as there is little room to work with.

You will probably have more than enough length on the BLACK wire. Route the wire neatly to where you are going to join the wires and cut the extra bit off. It will make it easier to keep it clean looking.
Once you have successfully tapped the BLACK wire into the BLACK/BLUE wire, seal it up with masking tape.
Then put the the whole bunch of wires back together with the cloth tape.
Tide up the loose hanging BLACK wire.
Performance:

jannnes
Cadet

Post by jannnes »

Now you go get something to drink/eat/smoke to keep you CALM for what comes next. Take a break and relax for a while.........
Performance:

EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Awesome DIY so far mate!

Bloody well done.
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503

Silverbird_96Kw
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: Mk7 Golf R
Membership No: 1643

Post by Silverbird_96Kw »

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

This is awesome - Would love to have Cruise Control, but to scared to do this...
Current

15 VW Golf R

Ex
15 VW Passat 2.0TSi Rline
17 VW Polo 1.2TSi Highline
17 VW Golf Mk7.5 GTi
15 Audi A3 Sedan 1.8TFSI Stronic
11 VW Roc 2.0TFSI DSG
06 Audi A3 2.0T
08 BMW E90 320D
10 Audi A3 1.8T FSI
12 VW Golf 6 1.4 TSI Comfortline
06 Vw Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Post by AlexTDi »

+1 This deserves to be in Technical: Frequently Asked Questions
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Mods, please sticky?

MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

What a fantastic DIY!!
EX-DOHCTOR wrote:Mods, please sticky?
Going to create a FAQ.
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
jannnes
Cadet

Post by jannnes »

Just a little update!!!!

Im trying to get a few pictures/drawings together to make the next part easier to follow. Will be worth it....Just have another cold one so long!!!!!
Performance:

B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Post by B_rad »

Someone, give this man a Bells! Excellent DIY!
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

That's quite extreme. I enjoy sound installs, but won't tackle this job :eek:

Well done dude.
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

So what else is needed to get this working?

Jordan
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Model: 9n3 PGTi

Post by Jordan »

whats cracking? got any update's for us boet? had a few too many cold ones waiting.... :troll:
CW '08 PGTi Uni 2, 76mm DP, Forge Dv008, Forge Tip, Seat IC FMIC
EX: 07' citi 1.4i
EX: 88' citi 1.6 sport