DIY - Changing Lower Control Arm (LCA) Bushes - Polo 9n3

Forum for questions that are asked on a frequent basis...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

VGTI wrote:Tools required:
1. Proper socket and spanner set
2. 13mm master craft ratchet spanner
3. Rubber Mallet
4. Normal hammer
5. 2 x 170mm long 8mm threaded rod (High tensile, the normal stuff you buy at Builders WILL strip) B and C in picture 1
6. 2 x 8mm high tensile nuts
7. 1 x 200mm long 12mm threaded rod, Geen rod in Picture 2
8. 2 x 12mm high tensile nuts
9. 1 x 8mm long (40mm or more) nut (high tensile if you can get)
10. Washer A – 80mm x 4mm with 14mm hole
11. Washer B – 72mm x 4mm with 14mm hole
12. Washer C – big enough to protect aluminium sub frame with 10mm hole
13. Washer D – 60mm x 4mm with 10mm hole
14. 10mm plastic tube, like you get for fishtanks. Get from Builders.
15. Lots of patience!!
16. I think that is all

The washers I can get made up or you can cut some from superwood (it works, I’ve tried). Superwood is a bit thick so it makes things harder. Obviously if you use superwood support is with the biggest steel washers you can find!!

So to start...

Picture 1

1. First of all excuse my pictures as it is just to give you an idea
2. Jack the car up and support with a trestle
3. Remove three small bolts on the hub side of the control arm
4. Loosen drop link bolt on strut and remove
5. Loosen steering arm bolt on hub but do not remove, loosen until the lock nut just protrude past the bolt. Smack the nut (NB nut!! NOT the bolt!!!) with a hammer to release the bolt
6. Remove bolt A (in picture)
7. Now remove the lower control arm, this might require some effort
8. Assemble your “tools” as in picture 1. Note at the front of the car you need to work against the aluminium “sub frame” and not the metal bit. Otherwise the metal bit will just be bent inwards. Also put the plastic tube over threaded rod B and in the hole at the front of the subframe. This will protect the thread of the subframe
9. I’ll advise you to get a 13mm Mastercraft ratchet spanner for the front of the car
10. Start “fastening” the nut at the front of the car, you will have to hold the 40mm nut with a spanner or it will just turn and nothing will happen. The bush will start to release
11. Carry on until it is out

Picture 2

12. Now to put the bush back in...
13. Draw a line on the new bush for the centre line, note the notch at the front must be on the inside at the horizontal position as in picture B
14. Assemble your “tools” as per picture 2
15. Match the line up with the cast line on the aluminium sub frame
16. Hold the rear nut with a spanner and tighten the front with a ratchet
17. It might seem like it wants to go in skew but just keep at it, it will pull straight
18. When the bush is in you need to refit the control arm, line it up and donner it in with a mallet. You might need to wedge it in with a big screw driver at the front, when in place fasten the big nut and fasten it properly!
19. Refit the hubside, note the three legged thingy must go INTO the control arm
20. Fasten everything again, tie rod end and droplink
21. Before attemping this, ASK if you are not sure about anything!!

Disclaimer: You do this at your own risk, the above is meant as a guide only.
p.s. Please note that it may not always be worth it unless you really want to do it yourself and save some cash. Well that was my conclusion when I watched professionals replace mine…
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
MeanTdi

Re: DIY - Changing Lower Control Arm (LCA) Bushes - Polo 9n3

Post by MeanTdi »

Found another great DIY guide:

Fabia (same chassis as the Polo) wishbone bush replacement DIY Guide...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/92 ... diy-guide/
Marco

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Dieselgeek wrote:Hi all,

I did the LCA's on my wife's car this weekend.

I can't post in the FAQ section so if a moderator could move my post that would be nice.

The guide on here is pretty good unfortunately I stumbled across this one after I used a DIY I fould elsewhere on the net.

In my experience the hardest part of this DIY is removing the arm from the LCA and getting the old LCA out. I used a ratchet tie down to ratchet the arm out.I attached one end to the arm and the other to my Jetta. The Jetta moved a bit backward before the arm came of. This either means I need to adjust me Jetta's handbrake or the arm is a real tight fit into the bush !! .I then used a screwdriver to break the nylon shell of the old LCA and tap it out from the rear. This was after much swearing and breaking of hacksaw blades in trying to cut through the centre of the bush to the outer shell.So IMHO just using the screwdriver of the bat is the better option.Be careful you don't use a sharp screwdriver and score the housing.

The new solid bushes from Goldwagen went in with a little persuasion from my new rubber mallet. Don't know how I managed with out one before.The solid bushes don't have a notch like the 4 web bushes so i just aligned it up with a flat side at the top and bottom.

The long 18mm bolt that goes through the front bush is helluva tight and it takes a lot of ratcheting to get out. Just because it's loose don't assume that it should pull out . It will come out when completely undone. I am not sure if the torque for this bolt is mentioned in the DIY but it is one of those as tight as you can bolts in my mind.

The balljoint is very straightforward and I changed those as well. I had already done the tierod ends before.

Just the endlinks, stabiliser arm bushes and front control arm bush that are old now.

The front bush seems to last a long time. I will get some poly bushes for the stabiliser arm are eventually. Will probably do the endlinks then as well.

Sent the wife in for an alignment today.(Hopefully they will get the car aligned as well). My 18 month old Ventus V12 on driver front is shot on the inside. Should have done this while the tyres were still new. Ah well , you learn from your mistakes.

Hope this helps.
Marco

MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Found a great DIY Video:

Marco