Getting ready for VKC 2020

MMS Auto is a small privately owned and operated Motor vehicle workshop that specializes in Quality services and exceptional maintenance at affordable prices.
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Getting ready for VKC 2020

Post by Rascal69 »

It’s this time of year again where I do my annual Service . This time I figured I’ll also address some other things so the car is in good shape and ready for the track at the end of the month.

Things we were going to do:
Engine Major service
Cooling system flush and bleed
Power steering flush and bleed
Diff oil flush and refil with bmw oil

My list of parts where as follows:

I got the majority of parts from Jaco @ Delarey and then the oil filter , diff oil (M LSD Specific) and wiper blades and coolant from bmw . The diff oil is very expensive R550 for 500ml. You need 3 bottles . I also changed the Liqui Moly Hydraulic fluid for Castrol ATF DEX3 as that is the correct power steering fluid for this vehicle.

Then I went for a small drive got everything warm, came back, put the car on the lift and started out by draining the engine oil.

Left that to properly drain for about 2 hrs then

Replaced the crush washer and refitted the sump plug and torqued it.

Next I went over to the rear and drained the diff oil out : didn’t get pic of the refil with the new fancy bmw oil.

Then I went back to the front and opened the power steering line to drain the fluid. Didn’t get pics of the refil process and bleeding .

Also got new O-rings for the power steering line which I had opened to drain from .

Next I replaced the air filter.

Removed the old oil filter . It said 122450kms was when it was replaced .

We on 125500kms now so a total of 3050kms have been covered since the last oil service a year ago. New filter marked with mileage. Image

And then installed

Swapped over the O-rings and installed the OFH cap and bolt then torqued down .

Torque specs

Old filter didn’t look to bad either , didn’t bother to cut it up and check for any metallic particles so I threw it in the bin.

Called it a day and left

The next day I started out by draining the cooling system. First the radiator and reservoir then the engine block.

After it had all drained out , we closed the drains and filled up with 60/40 mix of distilled water and coolant . Total capacity filled was about 10.5 liters .

Next up I filled the Ceratec in and then topped up with the LM 10w60 oil (not sure why I didn’t get a pic filling the oil)

Then I removed the coils and plugs and fitted the new set, torqued to spec , think it was 23nm on the box

New plugs and coil packs refitted

I also stripped the front brakes , cleaned them and refitted everything.

Here is the caliper bracket. I cleaned off the contact surface where the pad runs on. U can see the before and after.

Both done

Cleaned out the hub and brushed it with anti seize paste.

Cleaned out all the slider pins and screws .

Sprayed the pads with anti squeal spray

Took the discs outside and blew it clean with compressed air. Made sure to get in all the holes and vents to get as much brake dust out of it as possible then I Refitted the discs

Sprayed the contact surfaces of the bracket with anti squeal spray and then fitted it. The slider pins were coated in silicone paste and then installed.

Lastly the pads caliper and clip were all fitted and we were done with the fronts and I called it a day.

The next day I pulled of the rims and tires to fit my square setup with the 265’s all round.

Redid the tyre lettering in red .

And fitted them to the car

Replaced my wiper blades with a new OEM set.

And got the car down on the ground.

I did start warm up, check oil level then allow to cool down completely and check coolant level which went down a little and needed a top up , we connected the laptop and ran diagnostics, had some old errors which were saved on the ecu that needed clearing . Once that was completed , I reset the adaptations and took the car on a test drive . Came back and checked oil, level was perfect. Next morning I checked coolant again and it was still perfect so I’m happy with this. I will daily the car to make sure everything is perfect before taking it in for alignment and then hitting the track Image
Last edited by Rascal69 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
DieterMK5
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 1.9 TDi
Membership No: 3015

Re: Getting ready for VKC 2020

Post by DieterMK5 »

Love the detailed log bud gives others a good “how to” in prep for a track day, and regular maintenance
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Post by Rascal69 »

DieterMK5 wrote:Love the detailed log budImage gives others a good “how to” in prep for a track day, and regular maintenance
Much appreciated Thanks buddy Image
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Post by NHB_R »

Nice write up! Even nicer car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk