Golf mk2

Our experienced team offers you competent advice and the corresponding services. With our many years of experience, we help you to interpret the error codes and the measured values stored in the control units.
hendrik01
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Golf mk2

Post by hendrik01 »

hi everyone can you please help me to find a complete AWD drive train for my mk 2 golf.
I needs to fit on a ABF 2l turbo.
The problem is im puching out 467hp so im ending up spinning so one of my partners told me i must go on to AWD with slicks for ex.(Heldex gen 3 or audi S3) drive train.
Then i cranck up the boost and go for more Horsepower.😁
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Golf mk2

Post by missioner »

Haldex rear end is great and it's got nice technology inside that is awesome for a street car.

In high power race car its completely the wrong thing to use in an all wheel drive setup. An LSD or MLD is the way to go. Simpler design equates to lower maintenance and reduced breakages.

You will be in for quite a large amount of money to get the parts needed to get it all working. One of the issues you will face is that there isn't anything that will "Bolt On" to a Mk2 chassis. Lots of structural changes and fabrication work will be needed just get it attached to the car. Another thing is that the width of the Quattro/4Motion cars is much wider than the Mk2 requiring modification to the stock rear suspension parts from the donor car in order to fit the Mk2.

To get some idea of the work required look on the forum for a car called Vicki. R32 AWD Mk2 2 door. She's a work of art. Totally worth the read. Insane amount of work though.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
hendrik01
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Post by hendrik01 »

thanks for the advise
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

It will probably be cheaper to buy an 8L S3 and remove the stock motor and then bolt the monster ABF into it than it will be to mod the Mk2 chassis to accept a quattro setup.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Jetta2 wrote:It will probably be cheaper to buy an 8L S3 and remove the stock motor and then bolt the monster ABF into it than it will be to mod the Mk2 chassis to accept a quattro setup.
Yup I agree.

Added benefits of newer technology and improved structural safety.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

hendrik01 wrote:hi everyone can you please help me to find a complete AWD drive train for my mk 2 golf.
I needs to fit on a ABF 2l turbo.
The problem is im puching out 467hp so im ending up spinning so one of my partners told me i must go on to AWD with slicks for ex.(Heldex gen 3 or audi S3) drive train.
Then i cranck up the boost and go for more Horsepower.Image
Rereading this post I think the suggestion of all wheel drive is actually silly.

There are loads of improvements for any car that can increase traction especially for drag racing.

Drag slicks, softer front suspension, and so on.

Maybe before you do an AWD build rather try see what changes can be made to the existing car to improve traction.