BMW E90 335i Sedan Used Car Review

What's a used car worth? Get an instant report today on Trade values, Retail values & historical transactions.
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

BMW E90 335i Sedan Used Car Review

Post by kingr »

The History of the 3-Series

The BMW 3 Series always had a reputation for being a sporty sedan with extreme power and excellent driving dynamics. Over the years there were many memorable models including the original E21 which started off the 3 Series tradition. After the E21 came the legendary E30 “Box Shape” which brought us the original 325is and the first-ever M3 (although never released to the SA market). After all these years the E30 is still in demand, and clean examples have actually appreciated in value. Next came the E36 "Dolphin Shape" which was one of the best looking cars at the time with the power to match. The E46 arrived in 1997 to thunderous applause and continued the fine tradition of being a well-built sporty sedan, the E46 M3 in coupe body shape also delivered thrilling performance from the S54 engine . All these models were renowned for their straight-six naturally-aspirated engines, which was a constant feature despite all the electronic and suspension upgrades.

When the new E90 was due to be released there was immense pressure to uphold the reputation that had been carved out over the previous 30 years of the 3 Series existence. Before release, BMW fans were in for some good news and some bad news. The good news was that the new M3 would be powered by a V8 for the first time. The bad news was that the old straight-six would be replaced by the new N54 turbocharged engine. It was the first turbocharged engine to be included in a 3 Series, and at the time turbocharged engines were infamous for being unreliable and for having turbo-lag, which would diminish the overall driving experience.

When the E90 was released the detractors were silenced. Not only did the new N54 engine exceed all expectations, but it ended up becoming one of the truly legendary BMW engines. BMW had kept its reputation intact and hit the E90 out of the park. In 2006 the E90 3 Series won the prestigious World Car of the Year award. The E90 shape and the N54 engine went on to win numerous awards and went on to become one of the best-selling BMW models.
You can also watch our 2008 E90 335i video review - where showcase the real-world performance of this performance sedan.

You can also watch our 2008 E90 335i video review - where showcase the real-world performance of this performance sedan.

Fast Facts
Price: Approximately R120 000 to R200 000
Engines: Twin-turbo 3.0 litre straight-six
Gearbox: 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic
Fuel economy: 9.6 L /100 km
Power/Torque: 225kW/ 400 Nm
Seating Capacity: 5
Loading Space: 460 L

Introduction
The 335i is a high-performance sedan that sits below the M3 in the 3 Series lineup. One of the reasons why it's so appealing is because it wears the face of an ordinary sedan that's perfect for school runs and family outings. Beneath the family car façade lies a monster that gets from 0 to 100kph in under 6 seconds and eats up the quarter-mile in just 13.8 seconds. All this is made possible by the N54 twin-turbo straight-six with 225kW and 400Nm of torque, which was then upgraded to the N55 engine but kept the same power output. The E90 335i was manufactured between 2006 and 2013 before being replaced with the newer F30 model which used the same N55 engine.

Interior

BMW is renowned for its top-notch interiors, and the 335i is no different. Of course, it can't compete with the latest BMW 3 Series, but in its day it could hold its own against the rival A4s and C-classes. The solid-looking dashboard has held up well over the years and has clean lines with just the right amount of silver trim to compliment the black plastic. The silver trim extends to the doors to maintain the classy look, and the Dakota leather upholstery in most models can still be found in fantastic condition. The only sign of wear on the interior after over ten years that you might find are scuffs on the door handles, which are minor.

For its time the 335i had decent tech features like:
• Electric memory seats
• Electric windows
• Dual-zone climate control
• Cruise control
• Memory seats
• Keyless start
• Cruise control

The 335i also came with optional navigation and heated seats. For a ten-year-old car is still has the safety equipment you'd expect like traction control, stability control, ABS brakes six airbags including front and rear head airbags and side curtain airbags. Those days there were no driver aids like lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, alert or blind-spot detection, but the advantage is that it is a purer driving experience with no lights and sounds telling you what to do. As far as practicality goes, there's more than enough space for both front and rear passengers to sit in comfort, and with a 450-litre boot, family holidays are no problem at all.

Exterior
Some cars don't age well, but the 335i still looks handsome after all these years, especially in the timeless Alpine White colour. The front is dominated by the usual BMW kidney grille, which in this case has tasteful chrome accents to compliment the chrome line running across the air intakes at the bottom. Despite having no DRLs, the optional xenon headlights still look great with the points at the end giving them an aggressive look. The side profile is sleek with the exclusive wheels distinguishing the fact that it's the 335i and not one of the lower-end models, and the shark antenna completes the look. While the tail light clusters look discreet, there's nothing discreet about the twin tailpipes, which are another distinguishing feature of the 335i. Apart from the mentioned tailpipes and rims, the only other clue to the fact that it’s a 335i is the subtle badging.

Watch our test drive and video review here.

Engine and Gearbox
As mentioned earlier, the 335i was the first BMW to forego the old naturally-aspirated inline 3.0 litre for the N54 with its twin turbos and forged crankshaft and conrods. The two turbos suck in more air, and one is used for low-end power and the other for mid-range power. Thanks to the twin turbos, there's no felt turbo lag and acceleration is linear with the 335i putting out a massive 225kW and 400Nm of torque. The N54 engine is known as the modern 2JZ thanks to being highly tuneable with stage 1 JB4 software taking it to 260kW, and a sub-assembly capable of handling 400kW should you desire extreme performance. This engine was such a hit that it was used for many other BMWs including the desirable BMW 1M.

The 6-speed auto transmission works beautifully with the engine delivering quick, smooth shifts and with the ability of manual mode using the paddle shifters. The 335i has no sport mode available and to thrash it about all you can do is turn off the traction control and put it into manual mode. Despite its age, the 335i is still a blast to drive and can put many modern cars to shame. It has a fun factor that is hard to replicate in an age when everything is electronically controlled and out of the driver's hands.

Ride and Handling

The 335i has a soft ride which betrays its luxury roots, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing. It makes the car more useable and ideal for daily driving. There can be a bit of understeer when it’s pushed around the bends, but not enough to detract from the driving experience. Thankfully the old hydraulic steering is heavy and gives lots of feedback and makes the driver feel more connected to the car, unlike some of the modern electronically controlled steering. The large front and rear brake discs also do a great job of keeping the power in check and inspires confidence when driving.

Cons
We’ve talked about why the 335i is a good car, but what are its drawbacks. BMW is a premium brand, and repairs and parts can be expensive. With a car that's this fun to drive, it's very likely that the previous owner would have pushed it hard and if it hasn't been adequately maintained, it can cost a fortune to run. Some of the common problems on an E90 335i include:

• BMW wastegate rattle
• Electric water pump failure
• Fuel injectors failure
• Difficult to replace turbos, need to drop the sub-frame
• Two turbos also produce more heat and take up a lot of space
• HPFP failure

Overall the pros far outweigh the cons. The 335i is a pleasure to drive, and it will be challenging to find a car that can provide this level of thrills in its price range. Yes, the ride might not be the firmest, and it lacks many modern technology features, but this is a pure driver's car with the added bonus of practicality. Due to its robust engine, it's also an ideal candidate for upgrades and mods. It’s interesting to note that the successor to the old 335i, is the new G20 3-Series M340i XDrive, which comes with a 3.0 litre 6-cylinder single twin-scroll engine pushing out 275 kW and 500 Nm can do 0 to 100mph in just 4.4 seconds. Pricing is expected to be approximately R980 572.

Visit Wheel Index for more car reviews and the latest in automotive news. Whether buying or selling a car , they have tools like the VIN Number Check and Car Book Value tool to help facilitate a smooth transaction.
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers