VW Golf 6 GTI - Essential Buyer's Guide

What's a used car worth? Get an instant report today on Trade values, Retail values & historical transactions.
Wolfburger
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 6C Cross Polo

Re: VW Golf 6 GTI - Essential Buyer's Guide

Post by Wolfburger »

kingr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:13 am
Wolfburger wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:18 am
kingr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 pm
sbu.mah wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 pm Looking forward to the write up on mk7

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Yeah, the car has been out long enough for us to research what the common issues are and do a nice write-up for potential buyers. Coming soon :wink:
Is there one available for Golf 5 Gti perhaps
VW Golf 5 GTI - Essential Buyer's Guide

Most of the issue are the same.

Thanks Mate i was about to just ask as im having issues searching for that thread.
Current: 2015 6C Cross Polo TSI(Honey Orange) - Ginger
2009 Golf 5 GTI DSG - OEM Look - Sold
2007 Polo 9N3 Black Magic - Sold
1998 Bottle Green Jetta VR6 Executive - So
ld
Admin to : https://www.facebook.com/pg/ScenePointsSa
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

Ian_F wrote:
sbu.mah wrote:If you find time please share some info on pre report on new cars, as I didn't know such things exist on warranty covers and why dealers don't disclose upfront and if that it's even legal

There is an article on daily maverick written by a journalist about her BMW.

You need to read that.
Thanks Ian - went through it. It's quite evident that the SA motoring industry requires some serious regulation

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

Post by Mitch »

Belix wrote:Great post!
is there any warnings on the waterpump failure? Otherwise, what mileage should it be changed, to stay on the safe side?
Is the Camshaft Follower checked by the dealer during a service?
My water pump failed at 152000km. Was a crack in the plastic housing.
Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
s3 freak
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by s3 freak »

kingr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 am
s3 freak wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:05 am Didn’t know they suffered from cam follower failure? Thought this was only related to FSI motors?
Nope, same issue persist on the 2.0tsi engine. Golf 6 R is also affected by this issue.
Cam follower does not effect tsi motors only FSI...correct 6r and s3 is also effected as they are FSI motors...
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

s3 freak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 pm

Cam follower does not effect tsi motors only FSI...correct 6r and s3 is also effected as they are FSI motors...
What is the difference between TSI and FSI? It's the exact same meaning. :hi:
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

Would it not be just the Mk6s that use the older mk5 design engine, so the Ed35 and 6R?
Ian_F
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Model: Voetswagen
Membership No: 1846

Post by Ian_F »

Titleists wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:47 am
s3 freak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 pm

What is the difference between TSI and FSI? It's the exact same meaning. :hi:
EA888 vs EA113 motors is the best way to differentiate between them... Main differences below:

What changed from the FSI to the TSI?

Chain timing versus belt timing in the FSI
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1 down from 10.5:1
Engine Management: Bosch MED 17 from Bosch MED 9
Oxygen Sensors: Addition of one for a total of 3, from 2
Main bearing caps are now cross bolted to the block for additional strength.
Oil spray jets to piston undersides for improved cooling and lubrication.
More balanced cam shafts in the center of the block
Improved fueling system running the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) off of a dedicated lobe on the exhaust cam.
Improved flowing cylinder head
Updated internals with less internal parasitic loss
Improved PCV system
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

Audi still refers to TFSI and they use the same engines as VW.

http://www.audi.co.za/za/web/en/models/ ... gines.html
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
s3 freak
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by s3 freak »

Titleists wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am Audi still refers to TFSI and they use the same engines as VW.

http://www.audi.co.za/za/web/en/models/ ... gines.html
Hope Ian answered your previous question :hurray:

The new platform MQB- g7 gti/ A3/s3/ 7r etc all uses timing chain
Relas99
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by Relas99 »

Good afternoon,
I have a 2011 Mk6 2.0 TSI GTI DSG and it does not want to start. It reach 200k km on the 3rd of February 2020 and it does not want to start since the last time I switched the engine off on that day. I took it to a VW dealership and they did a diagnosis, but no electrical problem. I am stuck since that day as they assume that the timing chain snapped and caused the valves to bend. When I try to start it, I can hear the starter turning but it does not start. Do you think it will be wise the recon the cylinder head and replace all the parts or should I instead buy another engine?
Or do you perhaps have any other idea of what might be the problem?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Warm regards
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

Relas99 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:03 pm Good afternoon,
I have a 2011 Mk6 2.0 TSI GTI DSG and it does not want to start. It reach 200k km on the 3rd of February 2020 and it does not want to start since the last time I switched the engine off on that day. I took it to a VW dealership and they did a diagnosis, but no electrical problem. I am stuck since that day as they assume that the timing chain snapped and caused the valves to bend. When I try to start it, I can hear the starter turning but it does not start. Do you think it will be wise the recon the cylinder head and replace all the parts or should I instead buy another engine?
Warm regards
You first need to start stripping the engine and determine what failed if it's not an electrical issue. Start by removing the head first, then take it from there. This does sound like a timing chain failure though.

You cannot assume fixing the head alone will fix the car, you could have damaged other parts if the TC failed, a new engine would be a worse case scenario.
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
flyhid
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

VW Golf 6 GTI - Essential Buyer's Guide

Post by flyhid »

kingr wrote:
Relas99 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:03 pm Good afternoon,
Warm regards
You first need to start stripping the engine and determine what failed if it's not an electrical issue. Start by removing the head first, then take it from there. This does sound like a timing chain failure though.

You cannot assume fixing the head alone will fix the car, you could have damaged other parts if the TC failed, a new engine would be a worse case scenario.

Hi,

Last year I had the same problem on my Golf 6 GTI.
I parked the car and the next time I tried starting it , it wouldnt start.
The timing chain tensioner failed and that damaged the values , which meant the head had to be redone and replacement of the timing chain and tensioner.

Common issue on the Golf 6 gti.

It did cost a small fortune to fix but not as much as buying a new engine.

Hope this helps.

Regards
F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Relas99
Enlisted

Post by Relas99 »

Good morning, thanks for the replies. Head was removed, compression test done and all 16 valves bended. The cause was the timing chain tensioner which caused the chain to jump and skipped a tooth which cause the whole breakdown. They busy to recon my head and then certain parts on the timing chain system needs to be repaired. So my car will be up and running within the next few weeks. Looking forward
kingr
VWCSA Member

Post by kingr »

Relas99 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:32 am Good morning, thanks for the replies. Head was removed, compression test done and all 16 valves bended. The cause was the timing chain tensioner which caused the chain to jump and skipped a tooth which cause the whole breakdown. They busy to recon my head and then certain parts on the timing chain system needs to be repaired. So my car will be up and running within the next few weeks. Looking forward
Awesome, glad to hear that you've found the cause of the issue and you can afford to repair the car. Besides reconditioning the head, there will always be additional costs involved when removing the head for smaller items like gaskets and other consumables, these can add up quickly and the costs of these "smaller" parts must not be underestimated.

How long was the car driven under your ownership before this failure occurred?
Kurt #3337

Current:

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
Relas99
Enlisted

Post by Relas99 »

I bought it in 2017 and had 90k km on. The intake first gave problems and had it fixed based on the advise from my well trusted mechanic. So the engine light stayed on with me knowing what the problem was, so when the timing chain started giving problems I wasn't aware due to the engine light being constantly on. For everything including labour it will cost me +-R15k.
kingr
VWCSA Member

Post by kingr »

Relas99 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 am I bought it in 2017 and had 90k km on. The intake first gave problems and had it fixed based on the advise from my well trusted mechanic. So the engine light stayed on with me knowing what the problem was, so when the timing chain started giving problems I wasn't aware due to the engine light being constantly on. For everything including labour it will cost me +-R15k.
It's always a good idea to have the engine light stay off if there are no issues as you would never know if there's a genuine issue while driving with it on, as you've just experienced. Did you manage to get it off now? There are many issues that can cause the engine light to stay on with these engines.

R15k is a reasonable cost for this repair, not bad at all. You are good now for another +-100k km's minimum before needing to do the TC again.
Kurt #3337

Current:

Relas99
Enlisted

Post by Relas99 »

I'm planning to replace my intake manifold so that the light can go off. I also do a regular diagnosis on it due to the intake, but used to show only faulty manifold. So you suggest that I do my timing chain after every 100k kms?
kingr
VWCSA Member

Post by kingr »

Relas99 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:28 pm I'm planning to replace my intake manifold so that the light can go off. I also do a regular diagnosis on it due to the intake, but used to show only faulty manifold. So you suggest that I do my timing chain after every 100k kms?
That would be good preventative maintenance practice, the chain is not the issue, the tensioner is prone to failing prematurely on these engines. This issue is common on the 2.0tsi engine, other manufacturers can go 400k+ km without timing chain issues.
Kurt #3337

Current:

Relas99
Enlisted

Post by Relas99 »

Okay thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated.