Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Corrision in head, 1.9 TDI

Post by Callum229 »

Hi guys
So I have posted that my Jetta 5 TDI (BXE) was spitting coolant out from the expansion tank, it eventually pointed to a blown head gasket.

I have removed the head and took it to the machine shop, they said that the head is corroded and is a ticking time bomb, that I have to just weld the passages and not keep the car for too long.

What is your take on this? The car runs perfectly with great compression, valves and pistons look great, etc, it was just a leaking head gasket.

1. Is it possible to halt the corrosion in the head? I have been flushing and cleaning the coolant until it came out clear ever since I bought it(4 months ago) and only filled with G12/G13 coolant ever since(yes it was expensive).
2. Should I replace the head? Is the car a ticking time bomb?
3. Should I just repair the head and call it a day, and will it be fine thereafter?

I am so confused and this car has costed me a ton of money so far.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Yes I know it is in the wrong section, I assumed I.C.E meant internal combustion engines...Sorry, trying to move it, not sure how to!
Last edited by Callum229 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Corrision in head, 1.9 TDI

Post by missioner »

I'm with the engineers.

The damage to the coolant passages in the head is something that happens over time and points to poor maintenance on the part of the previous owner/s. This lack of care could well extend to many other parts of the engine and drivetrain. Proper care is needed to get it back to spec now.

Shop around for a replacement cylinder head, I'm not a fan of welding the head on this type of motor. It sound like you have some mechanical knowledge and skill, so I'm sure that you are aware of how to put it all back and what must be replaced while you are there.

See if you can find one that comes from somewhere outside of the rust belt, so no seawater was used as coolant. That should ensure its not corroded like your current head. If you are not so lucky to find the head loose, you may have to get an import engine and then steal off the parts you need to fix your car, sell off what ever is left. A good set of injectors fetch enough money to get you most of what you could spend back.

Whichever route you choose it's up to you. You have my sympathy, it seems you have had the unfortunate luck of buying a lemon.

Good luck with the repairs. I hope that after it's all said and done that this car starts to look after you.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Mods move thread to correct section please.

Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

Hi guys, just an update, it was the head gasket, but the head WAS CORRODED, so I put in a used head from an ASZ, haven't had a problem since, did over 5000kms with no issues!
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Good to hear. Hopefully your troubles are over.