Citi Golf sound advice

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Marijuana Banana
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Citi Golf sound advice

Post by Marijuana Banana »

Hi there,

Currently have a Kenwood headunit with 2 x RCAs. Got a Targa 4000w Mono amp (connected to my 12" sub) in one set of RCAs, leaving the other set open. I've also got Kenwood 6.5"s (co-axials) in the front door panels, running off the HU.

Now, I have about R2500 to play with, what should I do? I have WAY too much bass. There's also hardly any treble or mid at the back, owing to the lack of speakers... I was thinking 6x9's on the backboard, but after reading a few forums, it seems they're not too popular? Should I move the 6.5" (co-axials) onto the backboard, and get a 2 channel amp with splits up front?

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated, thank you!
Life160
Captain
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Re: Citi Golf sound advice

Post by Life160 »

I would get a 2nd amp and a pair of splits for the front. Save up and eventually get a 2nd pair of splits for the rear.
Too much bass with 2 x 12?? LOL - what were you expecting?

6x9s - thats old school technology. Rather invest in splits. Have dedicated components doing what they were designed to do, i.e. tweeter working the highs, mids driving the mid bass and middle frequencies and the cross over controling everything. When I had my Citi - the best ugprade was investing in proper splits with a proper amp!
MK6 GTI 12' (APR)

Ex:
Citi Life 01' - 1.6i 8v :(
76.6kw/144nm (RBTS)
CharlDHechter
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1987 Mk2 2.0L 8v

Post by CharlDHechter »

Hey there, 6x9s are used in most sound setups but if you want to go that way, rather get a superwood backboard. The 6x9s tend to make the original backboard sag over time. The other thing is the weight on the boot shocks also messes them up over time.

I have the original backboard in my Mk2 and wanted to keep it that way so I got 2 new Alpine 6x4s to fit in the panels in the boot, 2x 4" Sony in front and a 1400W Pioneer in the boot.
This setup works for me, the small speakers do the job pretty good. Those little Alpines amazed me.
naidup
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Model: Citi 1.4i
Membership No: missing

Post by naidup »

Get a 4ch amp to run splits up front and a decent 6x4 at the rear. Rear is just for rear fill so spend the extra on a decent set of splits.
Even if you get a 2ch amp for the splits and run the rear of the deck it would be fine provided it's a decent deck with rear x over to prevent distortion on the rear speakers at high volume.

I would just get a 4ch if you buying an amp.
Preggz
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 6 months
Car Model: 06 Velociti & 13 6r PGti

Post by Preggz »

naidup wrote:Get a 4ch amp to run splits up front and a decent 6x4 at the rear. Rear is just for rear fill so spend the extra on a decent set of splits.
Even if you get a 2ch amp for the splits and run the rear of the deck it would be fine provided it's a decent deck with rear x over to prevent distortion on the rear speakers at high volume.

I would just get a 4ch if you buying an amp.

:lol:

get a set of 6x4z I got a set of Jbl's and its perfect and still got my Oe backboard and sounds great
You just replace the old 6x4s
LöW Ridër Velociti
JOMs FTW
Reflex Sliver Polo 6R GTI
HnR Springs
Dp
Forge Intake
SW (Dark Arts)
Heidi
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by Heidi »

Hi, sorry to use the same post (thread) here but I have a similar query. I drive a 2000 model citi golf and need some serious sound advice as I am a fish out of water when it comes to this. I know what I want to do but dont know how or the best way of going about it. I have two 6x9's that are currently mounted into a back board but i'd like to get rid of the backboard as its too heavy for my boot door and have exhausted the shocks. I want to refit the speakers somewhere else into the car but there seems to be no suitable place. Could I use smaller better quality speakers that I could fit somewhere into the car so that I wouldnt have to build a box or something just for these 6x9's that would stay in the boot. Ideally i'd like to fit the speakers into the car but dont know what speakers or whatever else would be needed that could still give decent sound. HELP would be much appreciated !
Life160
Captain

Post by Life160 »

Heidi wrote:Hi, sorry to use the same post (thread) here but I have a similar query. I drive a 2000 model citi golf and need some serious sound advice as I am a fish out of water when it comes to this. I know what I want to do but dont know how or the best way of going about it. I have two 6x9's that are currently mounted into a back board but i'd like to get rid of the backboard as its too heavy for my boot door and have exhausted the shocks. I want to refit the speakers somewhere else into the car but there seems to be no suitable place. Could I use smaller better quality speakers that I could fit somewhere into the car so that I wouldnt have to build a box or something just for these 6x9's that would stay in the boot. Ideally i'd like to fit the speakers into the car but dont know what speakers or whatever else would be needed that could still give decent sound. HELP would be much appreciated !
Splits.
Chuck those 6x9s.
MK6 GTI 12' (APR)

Ex:
76.6kw/144nm (RBTS)
Heidi
Enlisted

Post by Heidi »

Sorry for the ignorance but what are splits? And where would I put them? Thanks :)
Life160
Captain

Post by Life160 »

Heidi wrote:Sorry for the ignorance but what are splits? And where would I put them? Thanks :)
They are made up of two separate components - a mid bass driver and a tweeter. They all connect to a cross over which will connect to your amp.

http://www.autostyle.co.za/car-audio/sp ... stems.html to get an idea of pricing. You can get a pair for as cheap as R400 or all the way up to R5k.
MK6 GTI 12' (APR)

Ex:
76.6kw/144nm (RBTS)
Heidi
Enlisted

Post by Heidi »

There are so many different type of split systems like 5' and 6' how do I even know what is a good brand?
Life160
Captain

Post by Life160 »

Heidi wrote:There are so many different type of split systems like 5' and 6' how do I even know what is a good brand?
I had 6.25" MB Quart Premiums in my doors. They had to cut a bit of the actual door to make space.
A 5" should fit fine.

Brand - all depends on your budget.
Those Alpine split's have decent reviews. Best bet - determine your budget then Google reviews of those brands.
MK6 GTI 12' (APR)

Ex:
76.6kw/144nm (RBTS)
Heidi
Enlisted

Post by Heidi »

Okay because I'm pretty sure I don't have an amp.. As sad at that may sound. Okay so they would fit into the front or rear doors? Really appreciate all the insight.
Preggz
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 6 months
Car Model: 06 Velociti & 13 6r PGti

Post by Preggz »

Hi
it all depends on your budget that you want to spend on your sound
you can get good stuff which come with a price.

personally I'll will go for 6x4's @ the back replace the olds and still have the oem look and keep the oem backboard
and splits on the doors
LöW Ridër Velociti
JOMs FTW
Reflex Sliver Polo 6R GTI
HnR Springs
Dp
Forge Intake
SW (Dark Arts)
N33L0
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Post by N33L0 »

Life160 wrote: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:41 pm
Heidi wrote:Sorry for the ignorance but what are splits? And where would I put them? Thanks :)
They are made up of two separate components - a mid bass driver and a tweeter. They all connect to a cross over which will connect to your amp.

http://www.autostyle.co.za/car-audio/sp ... stems.html to get an idea of pricing. You can get a pair for as cheap as R400 or all the way up to R5k.
Hi please tell me are splits better
then the new range of pioneer mids? :bang:
DJ7
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Model: MK5 2.0 TDI DSG
Membership No: 3238

Post by DJ7 »

N33L0 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:26 am
Life160 wrote: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi please tell me are splits better
then the new range of pioneer mids? :bang:
It would always be better to go for a set of splits over coaxials (mids) if it is for the front of the car and budget allows for it. You can get away with just using coaxials in the rear of a car.
Current: '05 VW Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline (hers)
Current: '97 VW Jetta VR6 (his)
Project: '83 Datsun 1400 Sunny (project)
Ex: '97 Astra Estate 200i
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v
Life160
Captain

Post by Life160 »

Blast from the past - fark. This 2015 post was brought back from the dead. LOL!
Ps. MB Quartz Premium splits ftw - I had them for 10+ years in my Life and now 5+ years in the Golf 6. They haven't missed a beat still!
MK6 GTI 12' (APR)

Ex:
76.6kw/144nm (RBTS)
N33L0
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Post by N33L0 »

thanks a mill so guys what would the best setup be in a mk1 with 2 12s?
DJ7
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Model: MK5 2.0 TDI DSG
Membership No: 3238

Post by DJ7 »

N33L0 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 pm thanks a mill so guys what would the best setup be in a mk1 with 2 12s?
To get help, you will need to give some info.
What is your budget?
What do you want? I assume if you want 2x12s then you want a loud car.
what components do you already have?

If you give that info then guys can give a better or rather more informed answer.
Current: '05 VW Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline (hers)
Current: '97 VW Jetta VR6 (his)
Project: '83 Datsun 1400 Sunny (project)
Ex: '97 Astra Estate 200i
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Post by Greenz »

Rather use 1 12 and make sure you get a custom enclosure made.Stay away from thr generic ****.
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm