Experiencing problem with my Jetta 3 cli 1.8

Solthape
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Experiencing problem with my Jetta 3 cli 1.8

Post by Solthape »

My car engine is running but while is running it stops after 5 -10 minutes it starts running and stops again I changed coil but there problem still there and the temperature pick up fast but not overheating the water pump have funny sound aslso the iddling is not stable the ref count keeps on moving up en down what can be the problem
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Experiencing problem with my Jetta 3 cli 1.8

Post by missioner »

Solthape wrote:My car engine is running but while is running it stops after 5 -10 minutes it starts running and stops again I changed coil but there problem still there and the temperature pick up fast but not overheating the water pump have funny sound aslso the iddling is not stable the ref count keeps on moving up en down what can be the problem
The problem is that you need a good mechanic.

Firstly to help you understand that we are not mind readers and without actually standing in front of your car it's very difficult to determine the cause of your problems.

When I say problems, I am being literal. Once I reread your post the third time it seems to me that you have a number of issues.

1. I think that the reason a new coil made zero improvement is that you may have a fuel supply issue. A fuel pressure test will ascertain if the required fuel is or isn't being supplied to the engine.

2. Take the alternator belt off and turn the waterpump. If it feels rough, change it. Buy the complete pump, it's simply much less hassle and much more reliable. After the new pump is installed make certain none of the water pipes are blocked. Do the same with the radiator. Sediment build up can restrict the flow through the radiator and smaller hoses till eventually the system is no longer able to self bleed. The air that is trapped in the cooling system creates an air lock and causes the coolant to boil inside the engine. Once this happens the risk of cooking your engine is very high. Driving even a short distance will do damage.

3. A common issue, that sounds like a waterpump but isn't, is that silly people that think they know how to fix cars, use ATF in the power steering system on certain vehicles that require other types of oil. The MK3 is one of those cars. The correct oil is Pentosin 11S, synthetic hydraulic oil. It was used predominantly in German vehicles in the 90's. Back to the point, ATF destroys the steering pump with short notice and eventually when the horrible whining stops, the pump begins to rumble. As the two pumps are next to each other and run off each other, the two pumps are often misdiagnosed and one is changed instead of the other.

4. Once the rest of your issues are sorted, if the idling still fluctuates, then you need to find the air leak on the intake system.

5. Test the thermostat, if it's not working replace it. If you think it still works but looks iffy, replace it. DO NOT leave it out, the motor WILL boil.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Gert van Staden
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Re: Experiencing problem with my Jetta 3 cli 1.8

Post by Gert van Staden »

That or..

You could get a mech stetascope and try to find the source of the sound.

Could be the alternator aswell if you take in consideration the electricals are going all haywire....

Sent from my SM-J106F using Tapatalk