vw mk1 2l 8v conversion, any tips ??(except putting a 16v rather)

dianclaassen
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1 '95 CHICO

vw mk1 2l 8v conversion, any tips ??(except putting a 16v rather)

Post by dianclaassen »

yo guys.
first post,
i converted my '95 1.3 chico that i got from my mom about 2 years ago to a 1.6carb motor which i bought from a friend who was the third owner of the engine and never had it been opened.. long story short the motor was a epic little high compression 8v having some flat top pistons already we found out only after 2 years of playing around with this "std" 80kw 1.6 8V that left mechanics scratching heads at the sheer velocity of this stock (CTI eating )bugger... with a diy freeflow and 276 cut cam, 1.3 exhaust manifold and GB

anyways my friend/mechanic sponsoring me his own famous little 2l 8v that will be fitted now in the little chico..
FINALLY MY QUESTION: we(me) just need some tips on the conversion ...
WHAT I KNOW IS : we're gonna do it the right way by getting a whole FI velociti petroltank with possibly the caravelle fuel pump..
im gonna get the 280mm brake upgrades from delarey racing, i then get new steering rack and everything .i will get new CVs for the new motor and some strut bars here and there, i definitely want those plastic sumps seeing as we will be replacing my eibachs with coilovers..

what else needs to be done EXCEPT the wiring of the management ? what do you guys like to do when building a stronger motor over ? what cool stuff can i get from delarey racing ? i want to redo most of everything on the car which can be improved like maybe custom engine mountings ?
SORRY FOR TYPING A WHOLE BOOK
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: vw mk1 2l 8v conversion, any tips ??(except putting a 16v rather)

Post by PapaJo »

When you get a FI tank get the velocity FI fuel pump as well. Much simpler solution.

At a minimum get the following parts:
210mm double dowel flywheel, clutch and pressure plate kit.
Branch manifold as you will be wasting your time with the 1.3 exhaust manifold.
Service items like sparkplugs, oil and oil filter, cambelt and cam belt tensioner pulley and possibly the water pump too should be on your shopping list if you want to do a decent job.

Speak to the guys at GW De La Rey about their nice goodies for those motors.

Where are you getting a plastic sump???

Lastly, actually firstly, get a fair amount of money together for this as these parts will cost you quite a bit of money.