Audi TT

Johanr
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Audi TT

Post by Johanr »

Hi,

This is my first post. Just signed up. Need help.

Found a 2000 TT. Engine blown. Body and all other mechanicals in perfect condition. What's the best replacement engine that will just slip in there with maybe a turbo or 2. I'm not a mechanic and my knowledge very limited in this area. Has anybody done one before? And what sort of costs am I looking at? Would want it to make at least 200 to 300 kw.

Regards
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Re: Audi TT

Post by ICE King »

Hi & Welcome to the forum :hug:

Is yours a 1.8T or the 3.2? Quattro?
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

Hi ICE King,

Thanx alot.

I forgot to mention that. It's the 1.8T. Quattro.

Regards
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Post by Greenz »

Depending on condition,i'd rebuilt that 20v
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

Really wanted something bigger in there. But thanx anyway.
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

Oh and the condition is pretty f#¢€d. Would be better to get second hand 1.8
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Those 1.8T 20V motors can be modded to make massive power.
How much power? How deep your pockets are is the deciding factor.

Here is a 300kw TT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqxG730rdrA
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

I have a couple K. I wanted at least 250 to 300. Who the best guys to do something like this. I'm from NC
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

Perfect base to start with , Here's a secret , The 1.8t can do 300Kw unopened

Your 1.8t can tune to +-230kw with stock turbo , slap a bigger turbo on(GT28 or bigger), tune and you good for +-300kw

The weakest part is the rods , will need to keep torque to +-400nm unless you install a set of rods.

Strongest variation of the 1.8t in stock form, locally is the BAM(165kw) engine , which came out in the TT , you might just have this motor in your TT :hurray:
Last edited by ICE King on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

Car has been standing for 4years. Want to put engin in just to get it on the road again. And then when that's done want to do to it whatever it takes to get met to about 300. Want it to be reliable. Want it to be something I can put fuel in and drive to Capetown. Thanx for all your input I really appreciate. I'm not going to do any of this myself. Do you know of a place that can do this for me? I'm really happy hearing I can get 300 and more with the 1.8.
ZiF_k
Captain
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: VW Polo
Car Model: Gti
Membership No: 2029

Post by ZiF_k »

ICE King wrote:Perfect base to start with , Here's a secret , The 1.8t can do 300Kw unopened

Your 1.8t can tune to +-230kw with stock turbo , slap a bigger turbo on(GT28 or bigger), tune and you good for +-300kw

The weakest part is the rods , will need to keep torque to +-400nm unless you install a set of rods.

Strongest variation of the 1.8t in stock form, locally is the BAM(165kw) engine , which came out in the TT , you might just have this motor in your TT :hurray:
What stock turbo will give 230kw?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current: Big Turbo 20VT
Ex: 2003 Citi 1.4i
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

ZiF_k wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:31 am
ICE King wrote:Perfect base to start with , Here's a secret , The 1.8t can do 300Kw unopened

K04-0023 - Stage 2+ with supporting mods, note my figures are ATF and this will be at its absolute limit.
ZiF_k
Captain
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: VW Polo
Car Model: Gti
Membership No: 2029

Post by ZiF_k »

ICE King wrote:

K04-0023 - Stage 2+ with supporting mods, note my figures are ATF and this will be at its absolute limit.
Ah was wondering. Cos then I wasted my money going BT on the polo. Image

Current: Big Turbo 20VT
Ex: 2003 Citi 1.4i
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

ZiF_k wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:52 pm
ICE King wrote:

Ah was wondering. Cos then I wasted my money going BT on the polo. Image

Nah BT is the way :hug: , won't have to worry about WMI ,octane etc.... to make such power.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

I would strip and check what is wrong with current motor and do a full rebuild / refresh on that motor. Same time replace rods with beefier rods, get a GT30 turbo and matched cast manifold, larger injectors, larger intercooler, single mass fly wheel turbo spec clutch setup to handle the added power, boost pipes and downpipe to match the new setup. After you have rebuild the motor contact Thanas here on the forum to assist with tuning and you will have your 300kw motor.

Do a price up on what needs to be replaced and / repaired on the current motor and weigh it up on the price of an import BAM code engine.

An import BAM code engine would set you back anything between 17500 and 35000 depending on condition and where you buy it from. These import engines comes with a 1 month guarantee and you are required to do a belt change (cambelt and tensioner pulley and ribbed belt replacement), full oil service, thermostat replacement and possibly a water pump replacement too. This will total up to roughly 4000 rand, then still you may need other odds and ends or a clutch plate etc. You are then already on 17500 + 4000 = 21500 low price or upper price limit 35000 + 4000 = 39000 for a replacement engine from importers leaving out all the other items that you may still need to get it 100% fit and working as it should (replacing cut or torn water hoses or other items not mentioned and found as you transfer the import motor across that you need to replace on current engine in any case when you refresh it).

Refreshed / repaired existing motor that is build stronger and is new condition as opposed to an import motor with an unknown history and possible mileage anything between 80000 and 100000km's on motor.

Do the price comparison first before you decide.
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

Thank you. This was very helpfull
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

PapaJo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:21 pm I would strip and check what is wrong with current motor and do a full rebuild / refresh on that motor. Same time replace rods with beefier rods, get a GT30 turbo and matched cast manifold, larger injectors, larger intercooler, single mass fly wheel turbo spec clutch setup to handle the added power, boost pipes and downpipe to match the new setup. After you have rebuild the motor contact Thanas here on the forum to assist with tuning and you will have your 300kw motor.

Do a price up on what needs to be replaced and / repaired on the current motor and weigh it up on the price of an import BAM code engine.

An import BAM code engine would set you back anything between 17500 and 35000 depending on condition and where you buy it from. These import engines comes with a 1 month guarantee and you are required to do a belt change (cambelt and tensioner pulley and ribbed belt replacement), full oil service, thermostat replacement and possibly a water pump replacement too. This will total up to roughly 4000 rand, then still you may need other odds and ends or a clutch plate etc. You are then already on 17500 + 4000 = 21500 low price or upper price limit 35000 + 4000 = 39000 for a replacement engine from importers leaving out all the other items that you may still need to get it 100% fit and working as it should (replacing cut or torn water hoses or other items not mentioned and found as you transfer the import motor across that you need to replace on current engine in any case when you refresh it).

Refreshed / repaired existing motor that is build stronger and is new condition as opposed to an import motor with an unknown history and possible mileage anything between 80000 and 100000km's on motor.

Do the price comparison first before you decide.
Wow Papajo

I trust you to give out such detailed info. :thumbup:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

You guys have been really helpfull
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

I agree with Jo's post.

Johan your aim is a strong, reliable car that can daily if need be.

To start, you have the perfect base for this project. Audi TT is awesome, then its Quattro, even better. 1.8T is very popular globally for tuning, aftermarket support is strong, and it's motor is already in pieces. Half the work is already done for you.

It would be a waste to get the car running just to pull it apart again when you start chasing power.

Second, dont rush. Take your time to reach your goal. The end result will be worth it. Making hasty decisions only cost time and money.

Do research. Talk to experts, get knowledgeable about your car and its engine.

To achieve your goal you will need to ask the right people the right questions, this is where all the homework comes in. It's not always easy to know what the right question is, or even the right person.

On that note, welcome. This is the place where some of those questions and people can be found.

Just to add, one of the threads that inspired my golf build was a 1.8T B6 A4 on a forum called Audizine. His motor was fully built and running on alcohol (Yanks love that stuff). It made 580HP odd iirc. It was later swapped for a 2.7T v6. Power is a drug and junkies crave it. The v6 was going to make 600HP with double the torque.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

That's the reason why I'm here. To get in touch with the right people. Don't want a car that leaves my beside the road. I would rather give up power for something reliable. Want to use it every day. But when I feel like it I want a beast to come alive.

And I agree with you. The tt the perfect car to do fun stuff with because of the Quatro.

Already know I'm going with the 1.8 because it was what was in there. And according to you guys thats one mean machine.

Just need the right guys to help me get it where I want. I have 90k for the motor and all the tunes. Just hope that will be enough.
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

Would like to add a upgraded fuel pump and Coils(not crucially needed but the possibility is there) otherwise PapaJo's recipe is spot.

At 300kw they are still very much reliable and easy to use as a daily.- There's plenty examples around to confirm this

Things will get more expensive after 300kw though , Will need to fully build the bottom and do head work.
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

I will stick to the 300 for now. Don't think I need more
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Johanr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 am I will stick to the 300 for now. Don't think I need more
you get used to 300kw rather easilly...
Thupercharged S4
Johanr
Enlisted

Post by Johanr »

Hahaha I have heard that. But then I Wil do a new project.
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

300kw with launch control tuned in , in a Audi TT Quattro , will be fun :drool:

Here's some more info to read up
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-t ... %2A-94165/