Can one swop AHF engine with a ALH without major issues.

yhendricks
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 months

Can one swop AHF engine with a ALH without major issues.

Post by yhendricks »

Can I do a direct swap of an imported VW 1.9 tdi ALH engine with my engine which is code AHF?

Is it 100% compatible i.e. just fit and go?

If not 100% compatible, then what compatibility issues will I have to deal with?

I've seen many posts saying they are similar. But I need to be 100% sure as I don't want any surprises after buying the engine.

I'm researching this topic because I think my VW 1.9 tdi (AHF) engine is stuffed with bent con rods. (see my previous post on this forum)
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Can one swop AHF engine with a ALH without major issues.

Post by VAG Fan »

I can't guarantee anything, but to my best knowledge, the sub-assembly and head are exactly the same. The only difference known to me, lies in the injection pump (ALH piston is slightly smaller than AHF piston, which results in lower power).
So, again to my best knowledge, if you keep your injection pump (and possibly injectors), then things should work out.

But this is only what I've read over the years. Please continue your own research until you're satisfied to fork out money.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
yhendricks
Enlisted

Post by yhendricks »

thanks for the response.
I really didn't want to swop any sub components as this will probably void my guarantee from the engine importers.
I was hoping to just buy the imported engine, install it and then just plug cables in and start up.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

I'm not sure whether the ECU in our AHFs would correctly operate an ALH injection pump. It might, but it might not. I'd make very sure before buying the ALH.
And even if the ALH does work plug & play, you'd be operating the ALH with a different ECU - would that not void the warranty?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
yhendricks
Enlisted

Post by yhendricks »

So besides injection pump, would other items like crank sensors etc.. be plug and play?

What other sensors are directly coupled to the engine e.g. crank ....
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

I'm not aware of any differences besides the pump (and possibly injectors). But this is only from reading, and I might be missing something, I hope others can chime in too.

I also found this, might be useful to check for possible other issues.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?th ... ahf.66695/

Sensors known to me:
Crank
MAF on inlet ducting (I think it includes an air temp. sensor)
MAP (IIRC it sits close to the intercooler outlet)
Fuel temp (inside VE pump)
Needle lift sensor on injector 3
Coolant temp

That's as much as I can add here... Bowing out.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Knowing what I know about VW engines, if it was a petrol engine I would give it a try and just swap over any parts that are different, but because you have diesel I wouldn't take a chance.

If you were starting with the low kW motor and dropping in the higher kW version to run at the same low output as your original engine, then yes. Absolutely NOT the other way. It will definitely end badly.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
yhendricks
Enlisted

Post by yhendricks »

I found this information and I think it could be handy for someone else having this same dilema:
https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/sho ... o-ASV-swap
"
Hi

Just wanted to post a bit of information on here for anyone wishing to interchange the AHF and ASV engines in the golf

We've just completed a successful swap on my sons 1998 golf from an AHF to an ASV, the engines are completely interchangeable with just a few differences between the 2 units which are

Crank sensor had a different plug
Both coolant temp sensors were different
turbo to intercooler hose had a clamp rather than clip fitting
Thermostat was slightly different on the ASV (just the size)
The AC compressor on our engine had a different spacing arrangement so because we had a fully dressed ASV we just changed the wires over but you may need to swap the entire bracket with the AC and alternator from one to another

Clutch, flywheel and turbo were identical, I checked with our turbo supplier who listed the exact same turbo for both engines, the injectors although have slightly different pressures work in either engine (same exchange part number from ECP)

We just swapped the components and sensors from one engine to another and it fired first flick of the key

We have no error codes and the car drives fine

Hope the info is useful for anyone who needs a new engine to provide some options
"
Cass
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Mk4 tdi
Membership No: missing

Post by Cass »

Bro Some ALH were lower in power than our AHF. It runs A different map and turbo with smaller injectors. However the pump is 10mm....if it was from an automatic it's 11mm which is even better.

The motor swap is direct....I would buy it...use your original injectors and turbo on the new motor and plug in your original ecu
current: vw Golf mk4
1.9 Tdi

Ex: 92 citi rocketship (stolen)