Golf 7 Rear View Camera Retrofit

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Colvert
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7.5 GTi

Golf 7 Rear View Camera Retrofit

Post by Colvert »

My car does not have the camera and it something I wanted.

I have done some research and come across a retrofit kit that Vagtech sells.
According to the gentleman I spoke to on the phone there is no cutting or splicing into any wires, which is exactly what i wanted.

The only issue is the coding. From everything i have read on the international forums, the coding can be done via OBDELEVEN or VCDS.
However, Vagtech says you need special equipment.

Has anyone successfully installed a retrofit kit and coded it via VCDS or OBDELEVEN?
"Impose u'r own terms upon life. If you don't, u will have 2 accept the terms of others. "
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Re: Golf 7 Rear View Camera Retrofit

Post by Belix »

I did a retrofit on a mk6 with only vcds, but perhaps there are new complications...

www.carsystems.eu also sell the retrofit kits. They mention VCDS, but maybe drop them an email and check if the retrofit can be completed just with VCDS.
Colvert
Cadet

Post by Colvert »

Belix wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:07 am I did a retrofit on a mk6 with only vcds, but perhaps there are new complications...

www.carsystems.eu also sell the retrofit kits. They mention VCDS, but maybe drop them an email and check if the retrofit can be completed just with VCDS.
Thank you!

They were the first point of reference and then started researching the forums. The consensus seems to be the coding can be done via VCDS and OBDeleven.

Vagtech seems to sell the exact kit that carsystems sell, and the comment about the coding from them, is what through a curve ball. I think i will risk it and buy the kit as it's all OEM and attempt to do the coding via VCDS
"Impose u'r own terms upon life. If you don't, u will have 2 accept the terms of others. "
TJames47
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by TJames47 »

Hi man.

Did you ever go through with it and if so what was the result? Just got a TCR and thinking of doing the same.

Thanks.
Colvert
Cadet

Post by Colvert »

TJames47 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:35 am Hi man.

Did you ever go through with it and if so what was the result? Just got a TCR and thinking of doing the same.

Thanks.
Hey brother
Yes, the camera and harness was procured through VAGTECH and the installation was done by their recommended installer in Cape Town.
I was very satisfied with the end result.
TJames47
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by TJames47 »

Colvert wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:36 am
TJames47 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:35 am Hi man.

Thanks.
Hey brother
Yes, the camera and harness was procured through VAGTECH and the installation was done by their recommended installer in Cape Town.
I was very satisfied with the end result.
Sorry for the delayed response.

That is great news, thanks for the update man.

May I ask how much it all cost? Finally in a position to pull the trigger.