Front Door Speaker Size - 96 CTI

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
FISHY
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1 CTi - 1995
Membership No: missing

Front Door Speaker Size - 96 CTI

Post by FISHY »

Good Day gents, Hope all is well.
My ride is a 95 CTi. I am going to fit a simple sound install in it. A 4 channel amp for the splits and co-axials, mono block for the sub duty and a DSP for all the filtering/setting. Im going for 2 x 10 inch compact subs. Want to keep some boot space and going for more sound quality than loud banging sound. My brands are Focal for the splits and co-axials, Rockford 4 channel and Rockford mono for the sub. And either Focal subs or Blam slim line/compact.
What is the ideal speaker size for the front doors, so that they fit snugly and the window winder does'nt hit them??
I really want to fit a set of 6/6.5 inch splits up front. But guys are telling me that the winder will be a problem? I have even heard that i should get a "shorter winder"
Not really wanting to put spaces in, but if i have too, i have too...

Any suggestions please?
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Re: Front Door Speaker Size - 96 CTI

Post by Greenz »

Are your door cards cut already?
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
FISHY
Enlisted

Post by FISHY »

Not cut as yet..
All is intact
Greenz
Captain

Post by Greenz »

There are slim line speakers available but then you wouldn't be able to fit baffles with those either...I'd probably look at a 5.25inch speaker.
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
FISHY
Enlisted

Post by FISHY »

What about these so called shorter window winders from the later spec mk1 that some guys are taking about?
Is there a chance that they might work?
Greenz
Captain

Post by Greenz »

Possibly but they would have to be really short as the stock ones already catch a good amount on the speaker.Can't say I have seen the shorter ones though.
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

FISHY wrote:What about these so called shorter window winders from the later spec mk1 that some guys are taking about?
Is there a chance that they might work?
No they don't work. Yours are attached with a machine screw and the facelift ones use a clip mechanism. Not interchangeable.

The difference is that the 2004 and later cars have a modified front door that relocated the window winder handle to miss the dash that protrudes more than the square dash. Ask anyone who has tried to swap in a velocity dash into an older car how they open the front windows.

There are 2 possible mounting locations for door speakers on a Citi. 1. Lower corner of the front of the door and 2. Lower rear corner below the armrest. The best position is up to you and what you think is best suited to your car and your tastes. For best results and least hassle make sure the speaker is mounted to the metal part of the door in some way. The door cards are weak and flimsy, if the speaker is only attached to the door card eventually they break and the speakers come loose and fall out of the door.

Good planning will help you get the results you want in a reliable way. Good luck with the build.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
FISHY
Enlisted

Post by FISHY »

I prefer the speaker to be up front, near the dash area.
If all else fails, i will get a set of 5.25 splits for the front stage. They will fit with, some adjustment..