airbox

linuxboy
Enlisted
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

airbox

Post by linuxboy »

Hi

I have a Jetta II 1994 CL.

My 'airbox' is connected to the top of my carb, which has the filter in. From there a pipe runs off and splits into two, the one goes down to the engine, the other just hangs around. The one is obviously there to suck in air.
What is the other one for? To suck in warm air from the engine? Should I disconnect it?
turbopriester
Cadet

Post by turbopriester »

I would seal it off. I think it is something to do with european spec for colder weather.
Do you want to modify the airbox?
Golf GTI V
Polo TDI 96kw
Ex: Polo Classic 2.0i
Ex: Citi Shuttle 1.6
linuxboy
Enlisted

Post by linuxboy »

turbopriester wrote:I would seal it off. I think it is something to do with european spec for colder weather.
Do you want to modify the airbox?
I thought that too. Its warm air from the engine for really cold weather.

I want to run some ram tubing from the pipe that sticks out my airbox so I can get cold air
turbopriester
Cadet

Post by turbopriester »

Ok, what I did on my 1.6 citi shuttle back in the day...
I took the oil breather pipe out the airbox and fitted a small filter on it and pluged the hole.
Took the small air filter out, then used a thin rubber hose to seal the airbox again.
Fitted a big cone airfilter to the end of the airbox after I removed the trumpet.
I think it would work best if you can run a 70-80mm airduct pipe to a box that can house the cone filter.
Golf GTI V
Polo TDI 96kw
linuxboy
Enlisted

Post by linuxboy »

It sounds like your car was a bit different to mine. I was thinking of getting a filter for the breather, any opinions on this?
I've got a flat filter in my airbox, so I'll just run some cold air to it
turbopriester
Cadet

Post by turbopriester »

Yeh I said that I fitted a small filter on my oil breather.
Your airbox is the same as mine, it was a 1996 model. I took the flat airfilter out and made some sulution outside the airbox to filter the air. :wink:
Golf GTI V
Polo TDI 96kw