Set the timing on a '95 Jetta 3 CSX

hylan
Enlisted
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Set the timing on a '95 Jetta 3 CSX

Post by hylan »

I have a '95 Jetta 3 CSX 1.8 carb model. Does anyone know how to set the timing on these models. I need to adjust it because it "pinks" like crazy even on light throttle. I've retarded it slight and the "pinking" disappears mostly, you can hear it start "pinking" when pulling up hills. I used a timing light like on a normal citi golf to set the timing but I think the engine management is interfering. If I retard it any more then the idling starts getting rough and the timing mark starts jumping around. The engine has done 250k and I have redone the motor at about 235k, it used to "pink" before the motor was done and hasn't gotten any worse since then so I don't think this has anything to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.
nick
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by nick »

the carb model has no engine management, so no knock sensor.

are you in jhb or cpt? if I remember timing at the coast should be around 6deg. which fuel are you running? has the head been skimmed?
'98 Citi Golf 1.8i
'08 Yamaha BWS100

My Rides Profile
hylan
Enlisted

Post by hylan »

Hi nick

I'm in Pietermaritzburg, just up from the coast. The head was skimmed when the motor was overhauled but it used to pink before that. I was using 97 leaded and am now using 95 LRP. Changing the fuel doesn't seem to have made to much difference. I should be able to use slightly advaned timing but at the moment I can't. The reason I thought there was some kind of engine mangement was because of the ODB connector in the dash and the vacuum pipes that run from the carb through the firewall into the dash.
nick
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by nick »

hylan wrote:Hi nick

I'm in Pietermaritzburg, just up from the coast. The head was skimmed when the motor was overhauled but it used to pink before that. I was using 97 leaded and am now using 95 LRP. Changing the fuel doesn't seem to have made to much difference. I should be able to use slightly advaned timing but at the moment I can't. The reason I thought there was some kind of engine mangement was because of the ODB connector in the dash and the vacuum pipes that run from the carb through the firewall into the dash.
firstly, run unleaded. LRP is terrible stuff. whats your timing currently set to?
'98 Citi Golf 1.8i
'08 Yamaha BWS100

My Rides Profile
nick
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by nick »

oh and set the timing with the vacuum pipe disconnected
'98 Citi Golf 1.8i
'08 Yamaha BWS100

My Rides Profile
hylan
Enlisted

Post by hylan »

I'll try 95 unleaded. I'm running slightly retarded. not sure how many degrees, been trying to find a decent timing light for preseting the advance. Which vacuum pipe do I have to disconnect, it doesn't have one on the distributor like a citi golf? There's a solenoid on the side of the carb which runs a pipe into the dash somewhere and drives a vacuum pick-up on the idle to raise the idle when turning the aircon on, it also engages if the engine starts to stall eg: if you drop the idle speed to far it kicks in to raise it up to 900rpm.
sad_fox
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Membership No: 1950

Post by sad_fox »

the reason your distributor doesn't have normal vacuum on it is cos there is an electronic interference (even on the carb jobs). to set timing properly you're supposed to bridge out two ports on the diagnostics port (next to the ashtray) when you do this you'll hear the idling pick up, similar to MP9. sometimes the bridge isn' there and you have to look for a loose plug on top of the fuse box. i haven't been at the dealer for 7 years now so don't want to say which 2 on the diag's port to bridge out cos if i tell you the wrong 1 you could fry the harness cos of my bad memory!!