2E vs AFW

vaneyslz
Enlisted
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

2E vs AFW

Post by vaneyslz »

Hi Guys & Gals

I know this was probably discussed before, but I am new here and would like the expert opinions of you. I would like to know which is better, what’s the difference, do they make the same power and torque etc.

Cheers,
Zane Van Eyslend

Current: 1997 MKIII GTi Exec

Ex: 1989 BMW 325i Exec
Ex: 1986 MKII GTi 8v
Rabbit16v
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 63

Re: 2E vs AFW

Post by Rabbit16v »

vaneyslz wrote:Hi Guys & Gals

I know this was probably discussed before, but I am new here and would like the expert opinions of you. I would like to know which is better, what’s the difference, do they make the same power and torque etc.

Cheers,
Same thing, the AFW was in some of the import cabrio MK3/MK4 2l 8V's
BOOST - The ONLY replacement for displacement.
MariusJvR
Cadet

Post by MariusJvR »

The cabrio was fitted with a longblock engine (like the 2E) but had that stupid Simos engine management system which was good for economy but bad for performance. Our local 2E's was fitted with Digifant and from 1996 with MP9.
vaneyslz
Enlisted
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by vaneyslz »

So is it safe to say the difference between the two is the fuel management system (Digifant 93-96 and MP9 96-98).
Zane Van Eyslend

Current: 1997 MKIII GTi Exec

Ex: 1989 BMW 325i Exec
Ex: 1986 MKII GTi 8v
golfvr6
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 6 months

Post by golfvr6 »

Yip, mostly...

However, the inlet manifold and the cams in the cabrio motors (simos) are quite a bit different to the 2E - makes good low down torque, but starts to drop off very early, in stock form made 85 Kw (= roughly 85Hp on the wheels).

I have the ADY in my car, very good driveable motor, but not a "great" performer. Changing the cam and manifold is an option, and not a big issue :)
Brendon Koch
Current RunAbout:
The Mistress

2001 Golf 4 TDi (Staying Standard)
Toy:
The ****.

91 Jetta CLi 2.0l 16v (Adding boost to this one) - DONE

HASSEN
Cadet

Post by HASSEN »

AFW IS THE MOTORS FROM tHE 96-99 YEAR MODEL years.

They were rated at 88KW with slightly higher compression. They have lekka short skirt pistons(compared to 2E) but unfortunately all had cast cranks and not forged like the 2E. AFW is MP9!
Brandy01
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: GOLF MK3 GTI 2.0L 8V AFW

Re: 2E vs AFW

Post by Brandy01 »

Yes I know this post is old , I'm only posting this as a matter of interest and not to be funny or anything. It's not the first time I have read/heard guys say that the AFW is 88kw,this is not true.
I have an AFW and I actually managed to get my car's manufacturing certificate from the VW factory
in P.E. It states that the AFW is 85kw.
Wanted to post a pic but can't seem to get it right.
Anyway,cheers guys.