1800 camshafts

Franco169
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

1800 camshafts

Post by Franco169 »

Hi I have a 1800 G marked G from a shimmed head that is cracked can I fit it into a hydraulic cylinder head I had to grind the head to clear the lobes but I don’t know further down the line
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 1800 camshafts

Post by missioner »

Franco169 wrote:Hi I have a 1800 G marked G from a shimmed head that is cracked can I fit it into a hydraulic cylinder head I had to grind the head to clear the lobes but I don’t know further down the line
The "G" cam is a hydraulic lifter cam.

The old shim bucket heads used different cams. Those are not interchangeable onto newer heads. Those cams come from motors that are produced before 1983.

If you are uncertain of whether the cam will work in your motor, then rather get a new cam or use the existing one.

The "G" cam has a legendary reputation that has no basis on fact and is revered as a performance upgrade. It's a stock profile cam for fuel Injection engines.

If you are building a high performance motor go buy a high performance camshaft.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

There were G cams in solid lifter mk1 gti as well. they will not work in the later hydraulic heads.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
BUYS
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by BUYS »

Good day I have a shim type (solid lifter) G cam and would like to know if there is anyone here that could tell me what the STD profile is for it I want to put it in my 1.3 and I am not sure if it will fit and if it will work
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

i am completely unsure how to 'tell' you what the std profile is. if you are sure it is a solid lifter cam and your head is a solid lifter head then it will work.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.