Mr.G24
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 Jetta 1.9 TDi Comfortline
Membership No: missing

Jetta interior lights

Post by Mr.G24 »

Good day,so i need some help with the interor roof lights on my 2008 jetta 1.9tdi.when i unlock or lock the car with the remote the light does not come on or go off,when i open any of the doors,the lights does not come on,then footwell lights is working perfectly,coming on and then fading out till you open the door or unlock via the key,but when i press the button on the lights itself,front and rear lights,the lights come on,so i think its either a fuse or the door switch,how can i fix or replace as diy?
Thanks
Gerrie
2008 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline (Reflex silver)
77kw @ 4000
250nm @ 1900
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8

Re: Jetta interior lights

Post by Belix »

Not sure if the Jetta is the same, but I had some corrosion on the interior light switch of my mk6 (the one that selects lights on with doors open, on permanently, or off permanently). I took the light console section apart to get to the switch but could not open it completely. However, with some careful scraping with a screwdriver, I got most of the corrosion off and the lights work again when opening the door.
Mr.G24
Cadet

Post by Mr.G24 »

Hi,thanks for the feedback,i wil look at this the weekend,but is there not a door switch that is also controlling that fuction because when i select on the switch for all lights to be on,they are on or when you press the individual buttons,they come on.
77kw @ 4000
250nm @ 1900
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Belix »

Does the Jetta give you notification when the doors are open, on the dash? Guessing here but I would think if it does show that, then the switches that detects the doors are open are working fine, and the problem lies elsewhere.
As the footwell lighting was still coming on when the doors where opened, the ECU knew the doors are open, it seems like the interior switch to me.
I should actually replace the interior lights with LED to reduce the draw and hopefully stop the arcing in the switch that is causing the issue.
Mr.G24
Cadet

Post by Mr.G24 »

Yes,i have the multifunction steering,so big screen showing when a door is open,yes and the footwells work right for when you open doors and or unlocking doors.my switch ny the look of it have the one position and the off position,but also have the centre position,but does not have a marking there like it would be on other cars where you have that position on the switch.
77kw @ 4000
250nm @ 1900
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Belix »

yeah, the mk6 switch also shows 0 on one side, and a light on the other, but the middle position (unmarked) is for "door" operation.
Mr.G24
Cadet

Post by Mr.G24 »

Okay,so it must be on the middle positon for the lights to come on when door is opened or unlocked via remote,so then i must check the switch then,cause when i put it on the position with the light sign and i lock the car,the go off,but when i unlock and open door they go on and stay on,so you recon its the switch?i also want to put the led lights in there.will that help?
77kw @ 4000
250nm @ 1900
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Belix »

Assuming the switch works the same way for a mk5...middle is door position yes.
LEDs will help if the switch is the issue, but you'll obviously need to fix or replace the switch first.

The mk6 switch has a metal prong that slides when you rock the switch, so the prong either connect the circuit for lights always on, or slides over to the door open activation circuit when in the center, and to connects to nothing when the "0" position is selected. There is not a great contact area, so in my case, the door open circuit point was corroded and not making contact.