92 citi idle problem

MKallie
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk1 92

92 citi idle problem

Post by MKallie »

Hi guys if possible I need help, 92 citi golf carb don't want to idle on its own I got new coil,spark plug wires,base plat,carb kit ,check break booster for air leaks checked idleing switch the car never did this before I have to pull the choke out if I want it to idle please is there any advice. :(
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 92 citi idle problem

Post by missioner »

MKallie wrote:Hi guys if possible I need help, 92 citi golf carb don't want to idle on its own I got new coil,spark plug wires,base plat,carb kit ,check break booster for air leaks checked idleing switch the car never did this before I have to pull the choke out if I want it to idle please is there any advice. :(
Idle solenoid has no 12V.

You said you checked it, but did you check the wiring for voltage? Second is the solenoid clicking when you switch on the ignition?

Quick test, use a test light (R30 bucks at AutoZone or Midas) turn on ignition, probe the red wire coming off the firewall under the coil that goes to the carb. If it's good the test light should light up. (The clip end goes to the body or engine for earth). If it's dead then look at the fuses. Open the owners book for more info as to which one to change. IIRC it's also marked automatic choke and is 10A. See attached picture for fuse layout. Fuse numbers are marked on the fuse box.

Check the earth wire from the front of the carb, by the throttle cable, to the valve cover, make sure it's secure and not broken. Make a new one if necessary. Pull apart the connector for the idle solenoid, touch the 2 wires together to make contact, does the solenoid click? Yes it does, you have another problem, no it doesn't, renew the solenoid.

If all fails to solve this, it may be time for a new carb.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
MKallie
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years
Car Model: Mk1 92

Re: 92 citi idle problem

Post by MKallie »

Hi i switched on the ignition and then I can hear the idleing solenoid clicking on but will check for 12V on the wire I have a tester at home and the carb can be the suspect I have a a second original German carb but if that don't work then I will have to buy a new carb but I only know about the Chinese make.