Karl81
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Polo Vivo 1.4i Tiptronic

Polo Vivo1.4i Tiptronic

Post by Karl81 »

Hi Guys,
I have a 2012 Polo Vivo 1.4i Tiptronic 63kw. On 90 000km I had to replace the exhaust manifold which were cracked. It appears to be a common problem with all polo engines and comes with a R6800 price tag. Someone once told me it cracks because of the heat cover over the manifold which makes the manifold to overheat. I have tried to claim from my warranty and insurance but it all got declined. It is part of maintenance. So I decided to have a Powerflow 4-2-1 branch fitted for R2500. I realize that the Auto use a little more fuel than the manual but its more heavy on fuel now after the branch. with the catalytic out its more rich and smell the fuel in exhaust gas. I've send it to VW for diagnostic test and they say the placement of the sensor is wrong but on a branch you have no other place to fit it other than where the branch pipes become one.
With the 6 speed gearbox it runs very smooth and before you know you've reached 140kmh at 3000rpm in 6th gear. I'm planning to fit a freeflow to see if it makes any difference in fuel consumption.
My question is do I have to remap the car after the freeflow, and will it make any difference in fuel and preformance.
My other thought is maybe the emission sensor is faulty but surely a light will come on if that is the case.
I bought the car with 40000km on and got about 760km on a tank. Now I have 146000km on and get only about 550km per tank(45lit). My Polo have a full service history with VW agents and i'm sure they would have told me if it was a engine problem. According to diagnostics all is ok so it must be the branch.
Any advise and opinion from anyone would be appreciated.
Thanks