hubbly_bubbly
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 13 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touran GTD
Membership No: 1793

Re: 2018 Polo Cup race car

Post by hubbly_bubbly »

Its a bit weird looking but as are all new VWs and then they grow on you.

Candy White 2007 Touran 1.9TDI Trendline
alfaquad
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Car Make: VW Touareg V6 TDI
Car Model: Golf 2.0 8v Race Car
Membership No: missing

Post by alfaquad »

I was at the launch in PE last week. The car is a work of art, and at R350k it's a bargain of note. Full Motec management, dash, logger and button-box. GTI 7 6-speed manual gearbox, Tilton pedal box and Sax Suspension. They will be testing it this week - 150kw at 1 bar boost, but they will have to play around to get the laptimes right so it's not too close to GTC2 cars. Open diff should be tricky with that power though. Car only weighs 1080kg with the driver in the car - don't know how it is that light considering its size. New Polo is basically same dimensions as a Golf 3.

If all goes well, I may get to drive the spare car on a test day one of these days...
2007 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI
1966 Austin Mini 1000 / 1958 Porsche 718 RSK Replica
VW Golf 2.0 8V Race Car
AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Post by AlexTDi »

alfaquad wrote:I was at the launch in PE last week. The car is a work of art, and at R350k it's a bargain of note. Full Motec management, dash, logger and button-box. GTI 7 6-speed manual gearbox, Tilton pedal box and Sax Suspension. They will be testing it this week - 150kw at 1 bar boost, but they will have to play around to get the laptimes right so it's not too close to GTC2 cars. Open diff should be tricky with that power though. Car only weighs 1080kg with the driver in the car - don't know how it is that light considering its size. New Polo is basically same dimensions as a Golf 3.

If all goes well, I may get to drive the spare car on a test day one of these days...
I'm your cameraman/PA/coffee maker whatever you want that day :lol:

They are well worth the price! If I had the cash or enough sponsorship I'd jump into one tomorrow.
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

I see quite a few of the previous gen drivers / owners are not too happy with the progression to this new car. Mainly based on the buy back of the previous car vs buying/cost this one. Now sitting with a car (no engine-leased) and trying to find a place to race it. Also reasons given for change included DSG box, but now running G7 g/box.
Agreed though at R350k it is a bargain, but they are moving away from the need in SA, which is affordable , close racing with big fields. Polo Cup is an exception, as all 30 cars are sold and the VW backing. Eitherway, good looking race car.
AlexTDi
Field Marshal

Post by AlexTDi »

I haven't heard anyone complain up here tbh, most are happy to be moving to the new more powerful Polo but then again 90% are part of teams with large budgets hence 24 cars starting the first race, the fields were around 20 last year. The 2017 polo cup cars with motors sell for about 200k and they were purchased new for R250k, the Vivo shape like mine started off in 2010 iirc selling for R150k so yes it's slightly more year on year but that is inflation I guess. The 2017 models can be raced in VW Challenge class A.

Polo cup hasn't been affordable close racing for years, big budget teams these days, I don't know any driver there that gets out the car and swings a spanner between sessions.
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport

alfaquad
Enlisted

Post by alfaquad »

The 2016/7 cars were sold on to become VW Challenge Class A cars yeah. Most went between R160k and R200k with only a different exhaust needed to run in Challenge. The rules have been changed to provide for the flat-top piston Cup used for reliability. People snapped them up as a bargain. A Challenge Class B car easily costs R300k plus to build, so R160-200k for a reliable Class A car is ridiculously cheap.

The R350k price tag on the new one is still cheap as chips for a National race series. Only 8 races a year as well to keep costs down along with 8 tyres for the entire season. Limited to 3 sets of tyres for practicing also. The brake pads are all purposely made by Ferodo for Cup to keep costs down - no Endless woes in terms of price.

The engines are still being leased in the new ones as well.
VW Golf 2.0 8V Race Car
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

AlexTDi wrote:I haven't heard anyone complain up here tbh
Ja, it was Cpt based entrants (privateers) and not part of the big budget teams.
AlexTDi wrote:Polo cup hasn't been affordable close racing for years, big budget teams these days, I don't know any driver there that gets out the car and swings a spanner between sessions.
Agreed, part of what is wrong imho. We need a National formula that is cheap entry level (and not R350k cheap) The numbers and spectacle needs to be improved. GTC is a joke in my opinion. :bang:

Also, agree the new car is a bargain for what you're getting.
alfaquad
Enlisted

Post by alfaquad »

GTC is a borefest. Polo Cup is damn entertaining to watch with plenty of close racing. Unless Lee Thompson gets an invite and destroys the field by over 10 seconds in 8 laps! lol
VW Golf 2.0 8V Race Car
PaKiMoNSTeR
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Model: Mk3 Jetta

Post by PaKiMoNSTeR »

GTC is a borefest. Polo Cup is damn entertaining to watch with plenty of close racing.
Fully agree. Polo Cup is on my bucket list. Not to run a full season but to do a few races. Its just to see how you match up against the big dogs. There's no mercy there and no shortage of business for the body shops on Monday morning. :driving:
Track Toy
AlexTDi
Field Marshal

Post by AlexTDi »

First hand seeing this car over the weekend and wow! quality motorsport parts used to put it together, I would give my left nut to race one
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

AlexTDi wrote:First hand seeing this car over the weekend and wow! quality motorsport parts used to put it together, I would give my left nut to race one
Saw pics Des posted on VWracing-za's FB, of them sitting all nice and new at the factory. Never to be as pristine (up until start of first race weekend) Agree, quality piece of kit!
AlexTDi
Field Marshal

Post by AlexTDi »

hahaha yip they take rubbing is racing a bit too far
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724