clutch not disengaging

jettamiester
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 5 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: jetta mk3 clx

clutch not disengaging

Post by jettamiester »

hey. long time since I've need any help here. Google usually has the answer. never the less.
So my jetta got stolen... out of my garage! got it back was a bit stripped but not too bad. now to the point.. my clutch wont disengage so i cant select gears while the engine is running. iv tried starting it in gear with the clutch pedal depressed but it lunges forward. ive changed the clutch cable coz it had the self adjusting cable. i installed a manual adjustment cable and adjusted it to the max.. didnt help. any1 had this problem before or know wat it is?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: clutch not disengaging

Post by missioner »

The pushrod has drilled a hole through the pressure plate cover.

Take out the gearbox.

Good luck with getting your car back in one piece
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Donavan »

missioner wrote:The pushrod has drilled a hole through the pressure plate cover.

Take out the gearbox.

Good luck with getting your car back in one piece
this
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
jettamiester
Enlisted

Post by jettamiester »

thanx missioner. i had the green end cap off this evening to inspect the finger, release bearing and rod. all looked good except for the end of th pushrod wich does look lyk its worn on the end. is there a way to tell the its definatley the hole in the plat thats the issue? i dnt wana have to drop the box unless i absolutely have to coz im working on it alone. nd i bet ill have a hard time getting that box out by myself with my limited tools
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

The clutch lever moves up past halfway of its travel and the pushrod goes very far into the gearbox.

Purchase a new rod (R90) and compare to the old one for length, put it in and see what happens. If for a brief moment you get resistance in the pedal and then it slips then it's time to take out the box.

As for DIY tools go to Mica, they have a special on a mechanics tool box for R1700 of reasonable quality
Krutch
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Mk4 GTi
Membership No: 3200

Post by Krutch »

Different setup, I have a dual mass flywheel and when mine did that I has somehow killed the springs on the clutch plate. They were all loose, like very, very loose. Gave me the same symptoms.

New clutch plate and it was sorted.
jettamiester
Enlisted

Post by jettamiester »

thanx for all the input guys. so i did sum more testing today and noted a few things. the lever on the outside of the box doesn't move far past 9 o clock. the release bearing only moves about 5mm or less and looking in the fly wheel inspection hole the clutch plate(if that is the clutch plate im not sure) moves about 1mm on the splined shaft.
jettamiester
Enlisted

Post by jettamiester »

also i do hav resistance on the pedal just to b clear.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

This means that you must take out the gearbox.

What you have proven is the pushrod and related parts work. Drop the box.
jettamiester
Enlisted

Post by jettamiester »

ya im guessing so. i already loosened the drive shat bolts an most other stuff around the box to ready it for removal. and i got a socket set today so il remove it tonight..... by myself.... alone :(
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Tie a strap around it when it's all loose which will make it easier to lower to the ground. Then it's also less difficult to work from the top as opposed to lying under the car
jettamiester
Enlisted

Post by jettamiester »

so i got the box out and found the problem. one of the crank bolts heads broke off(how did that happen?) and was laying behind the clutch plate not allowing it to move far enough back to disengage. now the new problem.. how dow i get the rest of 5hat crank bolt out? theres not enuf of it sticking out to use a pliers or anything like that. im thinking it has to be drilled and tapped. but can that be done with it in the car? will a normal drill work? just to make a hole in it the moer a torx in it and turn it out. sound like a plan?
keval
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Model: 1.9TDI SL /6R GTI

Post by keval »

get an engineer to drill and tap. Not putting you off a DIY or anything byt these guys know what to do to save the thread's and remove the bolt without damaging anything and yes you can drill it out dats what they do . Good luck bud.
Current : Sportline,63mmD.P, 57mm zorst, Eibach springs, Custom Intake, Toxic Tuned
2014 6R GTI
http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 166#p21951

Ex
Polo 1.6 6R comfortline

http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php ... 2#p1943642

http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 4&start=25

Polo 1.9TDI SL
bmw E90 320I Msport
bmw E36 328i Msport
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Donavan »

jettamiester wrote:so i got the box out and found the problem. one of the crank bolts heads broke off(how did that happen?) and was laying behind the clutch plate not allowing it to move far enough back to disengage. now the new problem.. how dow i get the rest of 5hat crank bolt out? theres not enuf of it sticking out to use a pliers or anything like that. im thinking it has to be drilled and tapped. but can that be done with it in the car? will a normal drill work? just to make a hole in it the moer a torx in it and turn it out. sound like a plan?
Good practice is to replace the crank bolts aswell when you replace the pressure plate as just for a measure of safety.
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
jettamiester
Enlisted

Post by jettamiester »

thanx for the advice gents. so i got a quote for a guy to come remove it for me, he charges R250 wich is reasonable. he hasnt come yet tho coz iv been working. hopefully tomorrow afternoon tho. i wont be changing any clutch parts to coz they all look good. i bet the old self adjusting cable is good as well. im replacing the rear main seal tho. i might have to change the crank bolts if i cant find a single 1 to replace the broken bolt.
another thing. is there a diy way of aligning the clutch without the 'clutch alignment tool'
Imraan m
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 11 months

Post by Imraan m »

Same problem guys ...not taking gears when engine is running...changed pressure plate and clutch plate and push rod plate...
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Imraan m wrote:Same problem guys ...not taking gears when engine is running...changed pressure plate and clutch plate and push rod plate...
Your push rod is worn out.

You need to replace it with the brass bush and the "tikkie" seal. Sadly it means the box must come out again.

020 gearboxes clutch rule of thumb clutch kit, pushrod kit and open 5th gear cover and do the release bearing. Don't open the green cap, rather remove the whole end cover, 6 long 8mm (size 13) bolts, replace the bearing add sealant an put back.

Sometimes the little fork on the clutch lever breaks and then you will need the green cover and the fork to get it going again.