Herschel
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: G6 GTI & CiTi Golf
Membership No: missing

8V Golf Flywheel,No TDC Dimple

Post by Herschel »

I'm trying to setup my timing with my 2E motor with my Dicktator,after redoing the motor.
The flywheel doesn't have the usual dimple on it for the TDC mark,but the "V" mark on the flywheel ligns up with the gearbox when on TDC.

My question is,what do i use then to set the timing on the flywheel,because it seems the "V" mark on the flywheel,isn't on the usual 6 degree spot,since it ligns up when the motor is set to TDC.

See pics below.

No other marks on the flywheel
2011 Golf MK6 GTI DSG
Stage 2 Stealth Tuned
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 8V Golf Flywheel,No TDC Dimple

Post by missioner »

Are you still using the original 1.4i flywheel and clutch by any chance?
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Herschel
Cadet

Post by Herschel »

missioner wrote:Are you still using the original 1.4i flywheel and clutch by any chance?
No, using a 210mm flywheel & clutch kit.
I've checked on line & it there's info that some model Golfs never came out with the dimple timing mark on the flywheel.
2011 Golf MK6 GTI DSG
Stage 2 Stealth Tuned
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

use the front one on the cover.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Herschel
Cadet

Post by Herschel »

It's fine, got it sorted. The car was running lean, so just added some fuel to the map. Also got the timing synced perfectly.
2011 Golf MK6 GTI DSG
Stage 2 Stealth Tuned
vwpro
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi Quatro, polo Beast and A3
Car Model: S3, Polo Playa,

Post by vwpro »

Best way to do it to make your own tdc mark
On the crank pulley or flywheel.
Turn out no1 sparkplug, find a sparkplug thats about 10mm longer than oem one or get a bolt with same thread as the spark plug, turn it in the on no1 sparkplug position, turn the motor clockwise till the piston stop against the bolt, make a mark that is inline on the block and crank pulley, turn crank anti clock till it stops again, make a mark again, get the senter af the 2 marks, punch that senter mark on pulley and also on your flywheel, that will be your tdc mark.
:troll:
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

vwpro wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 am Best way to do it to make your own tdc mark
On the crank pulley or flywheel.
Turn out no1 sparkplug, find a sparkplug thats about 10mm longer than oem one or get a bolt with same thread as the spark plug, turn it in the on no1 sparkplug position, turn the motor clockwise till the piston stop against the bolt, make a mark that is inline on the block and crank pulley, turn crank anti clock till it stops again, make a mark again, get the senter af the 2 marks, punch that senter mark on pulley and also on your flywheel, that will be your tdc mark.
Good advice bro.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.