Crankshaft (main and big end bearings)

MIKE1997
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months
Car Make: VW, Audi
Car Model: Polo classic mk1, A4 2004

Crankshaft (main and big end bearings)

Post by MIKE1997 »

Hi. I hear a knocking sound coming from my polo classic 1998 1.6i.(typical rod knock) So i drained the oil, dropped the pan... And checked for play and had a lot of play on cylinder 1. Took off the connecting rod bearing cap and had a spun bearing.. Changed all the bearings but still had a slight play on cylinder 1...all the journals were fine but i think that one journal had slight wear but i tried it anyway.... My question is what do i need to remove to take out the crankshaft with the engine still in the car... Do i need to take off the gearbox and clutch and flywheel aswell or only the pulley and all the bearing caps... Will it just drop or how deep will i need to go into this...im taking the crank in soon. I know it needs machining.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Crankshaft (main and big end bearings)

Post by Ashveer03 »

U gonna have to remove the gearbox to remove the clutch assembly, so why not just remove the engine instead?

Do it properly the first time. I wouldnt even want to imagine fitting a crank on while the block is still in the car, its just gonna be a pain in the ass.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

I dont have a engine jack. :grin: and i replaced the bearings without taking it out. I mean it wasnt a huge job... But it was slightly uncomfortable. and our neighbors wont like it if i start taking out an engine in my driveway :roll:
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

Ok its cheap enough to buy a engine jack but i dont want to take off the head because that would mean that i have to have it skimmed and new gasket fitted as well (which would actually be of use to me because i do think i have a slight gasket leak between the coolant and oil - not sure ) but still if i can refrain from doing that i would...but if i did decide to take out the engine and remove the head i would be killing two birds with one stone....
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Dude if you even consider doing the engine without pulling it out of the car, you are messing around.

Face facts, you broke your engine, it's time to get it properly repaired.

As it sounds like you are reasonably capable as a mechanic, so removing the engine should be easy. Once removed strip off the hanging parts and take it to an engineer for a rebuild.

Perceptible play on a Conrod is bad and indicates a worn crank journal and a damaged Conrod. It's not possible for a normal people to determine this without proper measuring tools.

Repair the engine right the first time or go buy a used one and do a swop. Time for effing about has gone and if you choose to ignore my advice your car will quickly become a massive money pit.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

If it spun the bearing you are in for the full monty. Not only do you have to cut the crank you also have to resize the rod. And that you can't do in-situ.. Motor out, strip - full rebuild. Or buy an import and drop that in.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

missioner wrote:Dude if you even consider doing the engine without pulling it out of the car, you are messing around.

Face facts, you broke your engine, it's time to get it properly repaired.

As it sounds like you are reasonably capable as a mechanic, so removing the engine should be easy. Once removed strip off the hanging parts and take it to an engineer for a rebuild.

Perceptible play on a Conrod is bad and indicates a worn crank journal and a damaged Conrod. It's not possible for a normal people to determine this without proper measuring tools.

Repair the engine right the first time or go buy a used one and do a swop. Time for effing about has gone and if you choose to ignore my advice your car will quickly become a massive money pit.
The engine has been overhauled on 87000km and only has 135 000km on now...
Ill redo the crank and conrods thats for sure but the car is already a money pit Im servicing the car every 10 000km.
The crank journal is definitely warn i checked for play after replacing the bearings. Slight play on cyl 1.
You call that proper messuring tool a micrometer.
The engine is brand new still which is why im not considering replacing the engine; considering the milage and the overhaul...dont get me wrong i would definitely like to do this job myself because you dont get honest mechanics anymore... Only here and there you do. Which is why im asking for advise. Im still learning. Thanks.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Cool I can dig that you are still learning.

Take the engine to a motor engineers is about the same as any mechanic shop would do these days. Very few if any still build their own motors. It takes too long and it's hard to guarantee the quality of the outcome.

The engine was done 50000km ago, that's hardly new anymore. There are loss of factors that determine how long it lasts, but the largest of them is the skill of the builder. Servicing every 10k isn't necessary these days with the improved quality of motor oils helping engines go longer between services.

Get a recommendation for a good engineer in your area and go speak to them. Decide from there.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

Update : sent the car in. Problem sorted . Cost 18k...had to get a new crankshaft and had conrods resized. Also cyl head recon'd.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

MIKE1997 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:21 pm Update : sent the car in. Problem sorted . Cost 18k...had to get a new crankshaft and had conrods resized. Also cyl head recon'd.
Now you can drive around without any worries.