Oil cooler problems

MIKE1997
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month
Car Make: VW, Audi
Car Model: Polo classic mk1, A4 2004

Oil cooler problems

Post by MIKE1997 »

Hi guys...My name is Mike(also first time posting anything here) and i need some advise please....

Now I've got a problem with The polo classic 1998 1.6i with 134000 km on the clock(currently), 2nd owner was my grandfather and he bought the car when it was on 87000km(that was back in 2006)...that same year he came down to PE on vacation from Bloem and on the way back the car blew a head gasket...car overheated... and back then it cost him R16k for brand new pistons;rings;head skim;gasket ect....im explaining this because i do not think its a headgasket problem THIS TIME....however I get oil in the water and I replaced the OIL COOLER which is one of the main things that can cause such a dilemma,replaced the radiator and also flushed the system about 4 times...this however solves the problem....FOR 4 Months.....I had to replace the oil Cooler again 3 months ago...flushed it....Bobs your uncle...worked for 3months now i have to do it all again???? Please guys i need help....i check the oilcap everyday as it would be milky if it was a head gasket....the car does not misfire....theres no white smoke....but something is causing the oil cooler to pack up :thumbup:
like i said....i need advise....anything....

Thanks
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Oil cooler problems

Post by panic-mechanic »

Bypass the cooler / remove it and join the waterpipes to each other. If the cooler was faulty the issue will go away. If not then you know it is the head gasket.
Checking the cap is no guarantee that it ain't a head gasket. There are many modes of failure and you can't say for sure by just saying the cap ain't milky.
you can remove the cooler by just using the short oil filter screw in rather than the long one that passes through the cooler.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

Thanks for the advise but how can it be a head gasket if the car doesnt mis, its not smoking,There are no performance issues, its not over heating, im just getting oil in the water...i dont like taking shortcuts - So i would prefer not to bypass the oil cooler....what about a heater core leak(not saying it is) but Would that cause a problem?
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

Thanks for the advise but how can it be a head gasket if the car doesnt mis, its not smoking,There are no performance issues, its not over heating, im just getting oil in the water...i dont like taking shortcuts - So i would prefer not to bypass the oil cooler....what about a heater core leak(not saying it is) but Would that cause a problem?
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Donavan »

Head gasket might be leaking between a water and oil channel, by passing the oil cooler is only a means of fault finding, if its is not the issue then simply just connect the cooler again. Heater core has got nothing do to with oil inside your water.

Either head gasket, cracked block/cylinder walls, cracked head or oil cooler leakage.
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

As said, not a shortcut. It's a way to diagnose. Can put it back again.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

Will do. Will leave a update asap. I only mentioned the heater core as a chance of pressure failure in the cooling system causing the oil pressure inside the oil cooler to bust through into the water side.
Garymac
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Garymac »

hi we had a similler problem with my sisters polo classic were it would get oil in the cooling system also replaced the head gasket but 2 mounth latter problem back .
decidede to pull the head again and on close inspection we found that between the oil channel and watter jacket there was corrosion becuase the engine never ran with out antifreez so the gap between the oil channel and watter jacket had corroded so bad that the gap was verry small between the oil and watter channel just can rememeber if it was corosin on the head or block but i thing it was on the block .
Engine ran verry well as yours does just the oil in water problem so yes you can have oil in the water because of problem arround the block and head and have a perfect running engine .
Garymac
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Garymac »

hi we had a similler problem with my sisters polo classic were it would get oil in the cooling system also replaced the head gasket but 2 mounth latter problem back .
decidede to pull the head again and on close inspection we found that between the oil channel and watter jacket there was corrosion becuase the engine never ran with out antifreez so the gap between the oil channel and watter jacket had corroded so bad that the gap was verry small between the oil and watter channel just can rememeber if it was corosin on the head or block but i thing it was on the block .
Engine ran verry well as yours does just the oil in water problem so yes you can have oil in the water because of problem arround the block and head and have a perfect running engine .
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

Garymac wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 am hi we had a similler problem with my sisters polo classic were it would get oil in the cooling system also replaced the head gasket but 2 mounth latter problem back .
Thanks so much for this reply... I will look into it and give an update. This sounds like it could be the cause. Only waiting for payday now. Hopefully the damage wont cost a lot. Will keep updating as things develop.

Did you guys ever sort out the problem?
MIKE1997
Enlisted

Post by MIKE1997 »

It's been a while.

apologies for not leaving a update sooner.

long story short.

I bypassed the oil cooler.

never had issues again.

I sold the car 2 years ago though.

My in-laws have a VW polo tsi 2015. they are also experiencing issues with their oil cooler.

Seems like a common thing amongst all VW's