Management + carb = electronic ignition?

JohnnyVw
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Management + carb = electronic ignition?

Post by JohnnyVw »

I want to eventually upgrade to FI, so that is settled. Would have to get fuel tank,head etc. all extras.

For now though I would like to run my carb but be able to map the ignition curve through the computer box, is this possible? has anybody done it? any specific infos will help colour wires to use etc. all that.
Car is newer model citi carb with the stcm ignition if im correct.
Shadows101Fall
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Management + carb = electronic ignition?

Post by Shadows101Fall »

That is what the vacuum on the dizzy is for on the carb setup.
I buy broken/smashed/written off cars

Current: 2005 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDm
Ex: 2014 Nissan NP200 1.6i - meh.. Sold
Ex: 2000 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=197077
Ex:1980 2 door mk1 build thread Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=192831

RJ8V
Cadet
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: BT 50 3.2 SLE 4x2

Post by RJ8V »

Shadow as he mentioned he has a later model carb golf. These ones do not have vacuum advance on distributor but electronic.
EX: '02 AUDI A3 1.8 20V
EX: '81 Golf Rabbit Mk1, 2e 8V MP9. Not self-Build.
EX: '05 Ford Fiesta ST 2.0 Normal Aspirated
EX: '06 Volvo S60 D5
EX: '79 Golf MK1 2Door, 1.6i MP9. Not self-Build
EX: '05 Golf Chico 1.4 Carb - Self- Project

Shadows101Fall
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Shadows101Fall »

Ah okay, I've never worked on a velo dash model carb golf so I had no idea.
I buy broken/smashed/written off cars

Current: 2005 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDm
Ex: 2014 Nissan NP200 1.6i - meh.. Sold
Ex: 2000 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=197077
Ex:1980 2 door mk1 build thread Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=192831

chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

The later models ignition timing is controlled by something like the tp100 module. If you are going FI eventually then you might aswell get AFM to control your timing curve(dont know why you would want to do this) and run carb with it
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
JohnnyVw
Cadet

Post by JohnnyVw »

Basically I want to keep the fueling on carb for now, but I want the ignition electronic and whatever else I can get to run on management, the system that is in the car now is electronic but I would like to edit the curve and possibly raise the limiter and upgrade the valve train, and use other features of the management, and this stcm shurlok box does not look programmable, hence me getting a programmable management system.

Anybody know what wires Ill need to splice and all that to make this work? the three wires from the dizzy, the 4pin water temp switch, something from the coil,earth, live , is this all to make it work? This seems to be what the stcm system thats on the car uses but very new to afm so any advice would help.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes you can. Those are basically two separate circuits in the management and you will do all the wiring as per the management manual except for conneting the injector wires. Then just map in the management the ignition map for now.
You will basically take over it's ignition computer. The ignition amp on those might be coded so you might have to replace that.

For clarity sakes :
Tp100 is simply a coil amplifier. It creates a bigger circuit to pull a coil to ground from a small 5v trigger circuit. It does not map timing. So some vehicles will have a small computer box that does that, others will have a management and earlier versions will have swing weights in the dissy. But they all still use some sort of coil amplifier to actually fire the coil.
That thing's part number on aftermarket system is tp100 hence the people calling it that.
3 pin coils has it built into the base of the coil. 2 pin coils require an amplifier. The hall generator circuitry or management circuitry is not made beefy enought to fire a coil directly.
There ae somemthat does that but they a few these days and almost never factory systems.
They always have a coil amp.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
JohnnyVw
Cadet

Post by JohnnyVw »

Brilliant response Panic! thanks for clearing all that up for me.

So to some it up, the shurlok ignition box under the dash is the stock "computer ignition box", and the three pins that connects to the coil is the tp100? and this tp100 amplifies the current to the coil to fire the plugs. I think im starting to understand it now, then the shurlok box is connected to the tp100 to control when it amplifies current to the coil, and causes the spark.

So I can just hijack those wires and send it to an afm box, and program an ignition curve, and cutout point, and would a new coil for goldwagen be coded?

Also is launch control a function of the ignition?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes basically that is it.
Yes launch control is an ignition side system but not all electronic management systems offer it.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

JohnnyVw
Cadet

Post by JohnnyVw »

Dankie Oom. This forum would not be the same without you sharing your knowledge.

Last few questions, are individual coil packs an option? Also can you suggest a management system that can support this feature and launch control.

I want to get a system that I can use in the future on different motors in the same car and the sooner I understand how it all works the better, so when its time for another engine I wont have that much learning to do all over again. I know all about school fees :)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

don't really see how you will use/mount coil on spark packs on a normal 8v golf.
Wasted spark is possible yes.
I really don't go into which management to choose anymore. Look at the spec, see if they support launch control 60-2 and wasted spark - speak to the guy you want to tune it for you and make your choice from there.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

JohnnyVw
Cadet

Post by JohnnyVw »

Thanks Panic again for your advice. Id like to tune the car myself, and seeing that fueling is sort of safe and stable with the carb for now, setting up the ignition should not be that complicated, unless Im hopelessly out of my depth here! Adjusting a startup map should be too difficult? Any tips???

Maybe instead of 4 individual coils like on a 20v setup, just a coil pack with the 60-2 trigger, for now seems more reasonable?

Got a copy of a gotech installation manual and the software instructions its helping me understand more of these things. Then again ive heard that Gotech is kak, but the theory still stands, basically want to learn how it all works before making a decision.
rid1_gti
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years

Post by rid1_gti »

Is there a way to bypass the shurlock box above the cubby(That is the stcm that replaced the tci unit on the newer models).
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

rid1_gti wrote:Is there a way to bypass the shurlock box above the cubby(That is the stcm that replaced the tci unit on the newer models).
No.

On MPi models that the engine computer.

You can yank the whole thing out and install a complete aftermarket setup, but it's not any kind of straight swop.

PM Panic Mechanic and chat to him. He is my expert when it comes to that kinda stuff.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Not on what is installed as anti theft devices in citi golfs no. We normally use what's there and retain the stock anti theft stuff. Not bypass them.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10