Polo Classic 1.9 TDI rpms

sanelenanti
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Polo Classic 1.9 TDI rpms

Post by sanelenanti »

Hi everyone. The rpms on my Polo Classic 1.9 TDI always sit at 10 regardless of where the engine is cold or hot. Any advice's and pointers are appreciated. What is the normal rpm level when cold and when hot.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Polo Classic 1.9 TDI rpms

Post by Ashveer03 »

903rpm, havnt really noticed a high idle when cold..

Common cause of this is a broken alternator wire (trace it from the alternator to around the starter area where it normally breaks)

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
TDi4Life
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by TDi4Life »

sanelenanti wrote:Hi everyone. The rpms on my Polo Classic 1.9 TDI always sit at 10 regardless of where the engine is cold or hot. Any advice's and pointers are appreciated. What is the normal rpm level when cold and when hot.
Howzit man.. mine usually sits at around 900rpm when it's warm (maybe slightly lower) but there's a clear difference between when it's hot and when it's cold.. not sure what your issue could be but try and do diagnostics first and take it from there..

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk
sanelenanti
Enlisted

Post by sanelenanti »

Thanks for your replies. I have then checked for broken wires as suggested but unfortunately I couldn't find anything. One mechanic said it's the airflow meter sensor, what he did he started the car and disconnected the sensor while the engine is running and he was expecting the sound to change which did not happen, it's when he said the sensor isn't doing it's job. Please advise if this theory is correct before I replace a sensor that is working.
Deezo777
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo TDi

Post by Deezo777 »

sanelenanti wrote:Thanks for your replies. I have then checked for broken wires as suggested but unfortunately I couldn't find anything. One mechanic said it's the airflow meter sensor, what he did he started the car and disconnected the sensor while the engine is running and he was expecting the sound to change which did not happen, it's when he said the sensor isn't doing it's job. Please advise if this theory is correct before I replace a sensor that is working.
Check your car to see if u have a battery light on your dash...my car had this problem and as ashveer said it was a broken wire leading to alternator

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
sanelenanti
Enlisted

Post by sanelenanti »

No warning lights on the dashboard, even diagnostic machine does not register any faults. One other thing that I noticed this morning, when I started the car the rpms were sitting slightly below 9 for 5 seconds or so then back to 10.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

When u out the key on, BEFORE starting the car. Does the battery light come on?

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
sanelenanti
Enlisted

Post by sanelenanti »

Yes the battery light comes on and switch off once the car starts.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Gonna have to read scan data and look for anything unusual..

sanelenanti
Enlisted

Post by sanelenanti »

Any recommendations around Pretoria?