NEED HELP WITH MY TDI

sambowks
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Cross Polo 1.6 TDI

NEED HELP WITH MY TDI

Post by sambowks »

Hi all - relatively new to the forum and need some help with my car - it's a 2011 Cross Polo 1.6TDI with 114000km
I had a problem where it went into limp mode with the coil light flashing and the engine light on - while on a road trip in the western cape. A local auto electrican diagnosed it as a faulty inector, replaced the injector a few days later and all was well. One month later I'm back in Cape Town and I have the same fault. It first came on while accelerating over a quite bumpy piece of road. The coil light is back on and the car runs rough - will not go over 2000rpm... not sure if driving over bumps is related at all or not, but I need advice on a private guy that can help me diagnose. I can't afford to take it to a workshop around here right now so hoping for someone that can at least scan the car. Any ideas? Hoping it's not another injector :deadhorse:

Cheers
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Re: NEED HELP WITH MY TDI

Post by dazza »

Not a DPF issue maybe?
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

dazza wrote:Not a DPF issue maybe?
+1 seems like dpf symptoms.

@OP read ur owners manual, it will tell u how to "regenerate" the dpf. Try doing that first.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
sambowks
Enlisted

Post by sambowks »

Ok I will try that - I drive almost only freeway though, I live about an hour out of the city and I road trip like crazy? The car does about 5% city driving.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

It also depends on how u drive it. To keep the dpf happy u gotta drive hard or else theres not much heat to burn off whatever crap it has accumulated..

I suggested u try that as its a simple diy which will only cost u some fuel. If that doesnt work then u gonna have to get the car scanned and take it from there..

I had an incidence once where the dpf was badly blocked and regen did not help it. A downpipe and software sorted it out permanently (u could also look into that in the future).

U also get fuel additives that help clean out cats and dpfs.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
sambowks
Enlisted

Post by sambowks »

Thanks Ash

Would the DPF cause the car to run rough like that?It feels like a misfire. It won't let the revs go above 2000..and it hardly goes..it shudders heavily. Going to take it for a drive now.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

A blocked dpf doesnt necessarily seem like a misfire (sometimes the engine runs rough if the dpf is badly blocked) but it does put u in limp mode. It does not govern u at 2k rpm, but it takes forever to rev up without boost and a blocked dpf..

Ur car should have a dpf light, is it on? Or is it just the glow plug light? Is the engine management light on? A blocked dpf usually triggers the glow plug, dpf and engine light..

If im not mistaken these cars have the "soft limiter" at around 2k rpm when stationary only.

Its quite difficult to diagnose over a forum without fault codes..
The dpf is suspect on these cars though, even worse if u using 500ppm fuel.

http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150131
Check that thread and see if theres somebody close to u who could help u out with a scan

sambowks
Enlisted

Post by sambowks »

Thanks for all the info. I stopped past my local guy and he scanned it - injector 3 has failed. Anyone know where I can get one?
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

If I recall correctly, those are R12500 new from VW.
sambowks
Enlisted

Post by sambowks »

Yes something around there...I'd prefer to fit a used one for now, I definitely can't afford 12K, have already spent about 14K on the car in the past couple months!
MorneGoosen
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by MorneGoosen »

Ashveer03 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 pm A blocked dpf doesnt necessarily seem like a misfire (sometimes the engine runs rough if the dpf is badly blocked) but it does put u in limp mode. It does not govern u at 2k rpm, but it takes forever to rev up without boost and a blocked dpf..

Ur car should have a dpf light, is it on? Or is it just the glow plug light? Is the engine management light on? A blocked dpf usually triggers the glow plug, dpf and engine light..

If im not mistaken these cars have the "soft limiter" at around 2k rpm when stationary only.

Its quite difficult to diagnose over a forum without fault codes..
The dpf is suspect on these cars though, even worse if u using 500ppm fuel.

http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150131
Check that thread and see if theres somebody close to u who could help u out with a scan

Hi Guys,
If anyone can help. My Polo 6R 1.6 TDI had DPF light on. This morning before I could take car for a nice drive to do a regeneration of DPF the Coil (gloplug) light come on flickering as well as engine light is on. Car is in limp mode now. I am pretty sure it is a badly clogged DPF and want to know if its safe to go for a long drive between 2000 and 3000rpm to try a DPF regen? or do I need to take it to a agency to help. I am in a small town and no VW agents available. I am pretty much on my own here.
Any help will be appreciated.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Whereabout are you based?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

MorneGoosen
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by MorneGoosen »

I am in Swellendam in the Overberg region. I took it this morning to a guy and DTC code: P245800: Description - Particulate filter regeneration bank 1. State=active/static.
We tried to delete error te get car out of limp mode but to no avail.
Any suggestions?