dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Re: Buying a high mileage BiTdi Amarok

Post by dazza »

Just bought my second Amarok...could not be happier. Looks like the fanbelt is pretty new so potentially the previous owner had this changed at some point. None the less will change cambelt, waterpump and fanbelt at 75000km's for my own sanity. Fanbelt and cambelt are basically the things you need to consider as preventative maintenance. The Amaroks have proven themselves already and I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off or until I can afford the V6 Amarok which ever comes first
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

dazza wrote:Just bought my second Amarok...could not be happier. Looks like the fanbelt is pretty new so potentially the previous owner had this changed at some point. None the less will change cambelt, waterpump and fanbelt at 75000km's for my own sanity. Fanbelt and cambelt are basically the things you need to consider as preventative maintenance. The Amaroks have proven themselves already and I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off or until I can afford the V6 Amarok which ever comes firstI ITCH FOR SOMETHING FASTER AGAIN
ftfy...

I also want one again. Trying to convince my wife to buy one so I can drive it over weekends. I'm enjoying my audi too much to sell for a amarok. But I ONLY want to drive my car over weekends because I hate her POS astra.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
ThatBloke
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by ThatBloke »

panic-mechanic wrote:You don't. You start it when cold. If it does not smoke white then so far so good.
Then you drive it and see if it smokes. If not then so far so good
Then you drive it for a little bit more and feel if it stumbles or hesitates.
If not so far so good.
From there you trust and hope and that is why it is said there is some risk in buying a second hand vehicle, because some things you don't know.
I suggest you buy a zero milage diesel new from the dealer.
And even then sometimes things go wrong becuase it is a manmade thing that could go wrong.
Ah ok, thanks for the correction in thinking. As I understand it white smoke potential over fueling due to out of spec injectors, blue smoke oil due to worn rings, valve stem seals or turbo issues?

What would stumbling/hesitation point to?
Last edited by ThatBloke on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

White smoke is an injector that does not atomise the fuelling correctly.
Stumblingb and hesitation could come from fuel pumps / sensors or even still injectors.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by MrMazda »

panic-mechanic wrote:You don't. You start it when cold. If it does not smoke white then so far so good.
Then you drive it and see if it smokes. If not then so far so good
Then you drive it for a little bit more and feel if it stumbles or hesitates.
If not so far so good.
From there you trust and hope and that is why it is said there is some risk in buying a second hand vehicle, because some things you don't know.
I suggest you buy a zero milage diesel new from the dealer.
And even then sometimes things go wrong becuase it is a manmade thing that could go wrong.
Great information. Re your last sentence ask FMCSA they know it all with massive failures in the T6 Rangers when launched in 2012 to 2014. they claim all the engine and gearbox crap that plagued them have now been ironed out, but I still see a few new Rangers on lifts at dealers without gearboxes, "Makes you think doesn't it".

One of my clients in the coal industry is replacing his co owned 2014 132kw Amarok with new one after +200 000 km. I looked at his maintenance record and bar for 3 cambelt replacements (routine maintenance at every 70 000 odd km) nothing else was done to it. Still running original clutch and it visit mining sites daily. It's a damn side better than his previous 2012 Ranger T6, though. He did consider the new Hi Lux, but decided on the Amarok again purely based on the better ride quality.
dazza
Field Marshal

Post by dazza »

amstel18 wrote:
dazza wrote:Just bought my second Amarok...could not be happier. Looks like the fanbelt is pretty new so potentially the previous owner had this changed at some point. None the less will change cambelt, waterpump and fanbelt at 75000km's for my own sanity. Fanbelt and cambelt are basically the things you need to consider as preventative maintenance. The Amaroks have proven themselves already and I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off or until I can afford the V6 Amarok which ever comes firstI ITCH FOR SOMETHING FASTER AGAIN
ftfy...

I also want one again. Trying to convince my wife to buy one so I can drive it over weekends. I'm enjoying my audi too much to sell for a amarok. But I ONLY want to drive my car over weekends because I hate her POS astra.
To be honest as I get older the need for speed has become less of a thing. Also after selling my previous Amarok for a faster sportier car I realized just how silly I had been. The Amarok is a do it all car, its the most functional vehicle you can have, seats 5, has load space in the back, can tow really well and because its 4motion it can do the odd beaten track. Its surprisingly nippy with the 8 speed Auto especially off the line.
I used it to Sodwana over the weekend and with 4 adults the whole back loaded and a beach buggy being towed it performed amazingly, even with other brands like the d4d and rangers sticking behind me as they were unable to overtake me on the hills!
I have another car with manual gearbox for when I want a raw driving experience.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Previous:
12' MKVI GTI Manual
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Post by AlexTDi »

dazza wrote: The Amarok is a do it all car, its the most functional vehicle you can have, seats 5, has load space in the back, can tow Alex's race car to the race track when he needs
FTFY
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
dazza
Field Marshal

Post by dazza »

AlexTDi wrote:
dazza wrote: The Amarok is a do it all car, its the most functional vehicle you can have, seats 5, has load space in the back, can tow Alex's race car to the race track when he needs
FTFY
That's no problem but it also wont be cheap :lol:
Darryn Van Rooyen
Previous:
12' MKVI GTI Manual
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
josh 1.9TDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by josh 1.9TDI »

dazza wrote:I love the way some people say they are known for engine problems, some people like to make unfounded statements without any actual factual knowledge. Anyway, the amaroks have proven to be just as reliable as the jap cars, many guys with over 200k and 300k mileage already. Cam belt is the biggest thing to check, snapped belt will cause big repair bills so take care of that.
I agree with you rather change the cam belt just to be on the safe side of the problem

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk
freezaburn
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Make: VW, Audi, Toyota,BMW
Car Model: GTi,Citi Sport,Raider,A4, 316i

Post by freezaburn »

Reegz wrote:
mueneni12 wrote: Have you looked at a toyota?
Said no one on VWClub Forum. Ever!
Now I wonder whether I should revise my current rides list?

All Current Rides:
-2009 Audi A4 (B8) 2.0T FSI Avant (155kw)
-2005 Audi A4 (B7) 2.0T FSI Avant (147kw)
-2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 2.7VVTi (118kw)
-1995 BMW E36 316i
-1994 Golf MK3 GTI 2.0 Exec (85kw)
-1986 Citi Golf Sport 1.6 (63kw)
freezaburn
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Make: VW, Audi, Toyota,BMW
Car Model: GTi,Citi Sport,Raider,A4, 316i

Post by freezaburn »

Reegz wrote:
mueneni12 wrote: Have you looked at a toyota?
Said no one on VWClub Forum. Ever!
Now I wonder whether I should revise my current rides list?

All Current Rides:
-2009 Audi A4 (B8) 2.0T FSI Avant (155kw)
-2005 Audi A4 (B7) 2.0T FSI Avant (147kw)
-2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 2.7VVTi (118kw)
-1995 BMW E36 316i
-1994 Golf MK3 GTI 2.0 Exec (85kw)
-1986 Citi Golf Sport 1.6 (63kw)
Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rourke »

Ok guys

So its abit off topic but i think the op did get his answers

So my question is is the 2.0tdi amarok's engine the same as the 2.0tdi engines in golfs audies etc. and even the 1.9tdi?

Whats the differences in apearances /parts and also power figures?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

The same base engine is shared with what is in the golf if it is a 2l common rail yes. The 1.9 is a little different.
The outputs differ and is done by different turbos and boost levels. It is not determined by the base engine. Ie same block and head but different ancilliaries.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rourke »

thanks pannic

so in a nutshell same block head but most of the parts around it might differ. also like you say turbo and mapping?

thanks
Dre
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Post by Dre »

Can the same be said for high mileage Audi Q5 2.0 TDI s-tronic (face-lift)?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
dazza
Field Marshal

Post by dazza »

Besides cambelt I see their have been isolated cases of EGR issues, cracked EGR coolers that leak coolant etc which have caused some head-aches for Amarok owners. Speaking to the tech's its not a big issue and rather isolated cases.
I have a 76mm catless DP on mine and software which really woke the thing up nicely. At some stage I will probably delete the EGR and EGR cooler completely for now I will just keep an eye on it
Darryn Van Rooyen
Previous:
12' MKVI GTI Manual
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Dre
Enlisted

Post by Dre »

Thx for the feedback.
Does the 130kw Q5 have the same engine ? Also, Interested to hear the OP's experience thus far.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes , same engine.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Dre
Enlisted

Post by Dre »

Thx for the feedback guys

Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

Hi Guys

Thought i'd give some feedback on the +- 10 000kms i've done with this Amarok thus far.

Overall id have to say that it is really an awesome machine! From the way it looks to the ease of moving around such a big vehicle. The vehicle was serviced when I got it at 261k, and has not asked for oil or water in the 10 000kms that I have covered. I am loving the ability to carry my family in the vehicle as well as chuck almost anything I need to in the loading bin or even tow a car as well. I've towed 2 cars of relatives and the amarok did it with absolute ease. All this whilst offering a very comfortable ride!

In terms of fuel consumption, its decent for its size - id say averaging around 10l/100km

I have also recently taken it to the Killarney 4x4 facility here in Shongweni for my 1st ever off road experience. I'm not very experienced in terms of the rough stuff but from the stuff I tried there , it managed to get through most of it of it quite easily. I was quite surprised especially considering my lack of skill/off road experience! I did however stay away from the mud as my rear tyres aren't very good.

Some of the issues I've experienced with it thus far:

1. The vehicle drives 'rough' intermittently - its hard to exactly describe, but its like some is dry or grinding. I can feel it on the steering wheel and gear lever through the rev range. it doesn't hesitate or stutter on pull away but when its running smoothly the difference is quite apparent as the the grind feeling is not there and the steering feels lighter as well as it seems a bit eager to get going. Gear changes are also smoother. The vehicle is running a tune which was done by the previous owner using ATM Chiptuning - I am trying to arrange to get some logs done to see if anything is out of the ordinary - Any ideas on this guys?

2. the tonneau cover tarp needs replacement - faded and brittle clips - I guess this is expected on a vehicle with this exposure to the sun and dry inland conditions

3. 4x4 sometimes does not engage immediately - I hardly ever use it so not an issue for me

4. Difflock was intermittently not engaging but in the last month does not seem to engage at all - the light flashes on the dash but does not stay on to signal that it has engaged successfully - any ideas on this ?

5. Need to replace the battery - I see that it still has an original VW battery in it, so taking this as part of routine maintenance for now. Looking at going with a Willard 658 100AH - any risk in doing this ?

6. the hooter sounds horrible as compared to my Golf 7 , but I can live with this. Will look at changing the horn if possible

It is now due for a service at 271k and am currently looking for a place to service it here in Durbs (beside VW). Also considering getting the fanbelt and associated pulleys changed in the coming weeks as well.

Would also like to have the tailgate wired up to the central locking so that it locks together.

Any questions or input on the above would be welcomed
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG
2012 AMAROK BiTDi HIGHLINE 4MOTION 6MT

EX:2013 MK7 TDi HIGHLINE DSG
EX:2010 MK6 GTI 6MT
EX:2006 Ibiza Cupra TDi
EX:1993 Golf 3 Gti
EX:1970 Beetle 1600 Twinport
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Contact the guys at TSC garage, I am sure they can assist with a service, scan and other issues or questions you have.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

Unobeat wrote:Contact the guys at TSC garage, I am sure they can assist with a service, scan and other issues or questions you have.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
Yup have made contact with them
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Gti3 wrote: I did however stay away from the mud as my rear tyres aren't very good. - Good. Mud are really not great for cars so always avoid it if possible.

1. The vehicle drives 'rough' intermittently - its hard to exactly describe, but its like some is dry or grinding. I can feel it on the steering wheel and gear lever through the rev range. it doesn't hesitate or stutter on pull away but when its running smoothly the difference is quite apparent as the the grind feeling is not there and the steering feels lighter as well as it seems a bit eager to get going. Gear changes are also smoother. The vehicle is running a tune which was done by the previous owner using ATM Chiptuning - I am trying to arrange to get some logs done to see if anything is out of the ordinary - Any ideas on this guys?
No this impoosible to even comment on without feeling it.

3. 4x4 sometimes does not engage immediately - I hardly ever use it so not an issue for me - electrically engaged via a motor so will always take a moment.

4. Difflock was intermittently not engaging but in the last month does not seem to engage at all - the light flashes on the dash but does not stay on to signal that it has engaged successfully - any ideas on this ?
These are also done via a motor. Because they are not used often they actually rust up and stops working. Either replace the motor or take it out and give it a good clean. Try to actuate it every once in a while while standing just to keep it in working shape.

5. Need to replace the battery - I see that it still has an original VW battery in it, so taking this as part of routine maintenance for now. Looking at going with a Willard 658 100AH - any risk in doing this ?
No risk

Would also like to have the tailgate wired up to the central locking so that it locks together. - i don't see the point unless you also have a locking canopy.. But it has been done. Hunt on the 4x4community in the volkswagen section. Tons of amarok info there.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

panic-mechanic wrote:
Gti3 wrote: I did however stay away from the mud as my rear tyres aren't very good. - Good. Mud are really not great for cars so always avoid it if possible.

No this impoosible to even comment on without feeling it.

3. 4x4 sometimes does not engage immediately - I hardly ever use it so not an issue for me - electrically engaged via a motor so will always take a moment.

These are also done via a motor. Because they are not used often they actually rust up and stops working. Either replace the motor or take it out and give it a good clean. Try to actuate it every once in a while while standing just to keep it in working shape.

No risk

Would also like to have the tailgate wired up to the central locking so that it locks together. - i don't see the point unless you also have a locking canopy.. But it has been done. Hunt on the 4x4community in the volkswagen section. Tons of amarok info there.
thanks very much for the responses Panic - will give your suggestions a try, hopefully will come right.
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG

4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Touareg R5

Post by 4ePikanini »

Delete the EGR system and bypass the cooler. They are known to fail dumping cooling into exhaust and out the tail pipe - risking an overheating engine.

It already has a chip so a remap should be easy to shut the ECU up with the EGR delete.
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon