Buying a high mileage BiTdi Amarok

Gti3
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Buying a high mileage BiTdi Amarok

Post by Gti3 »

4ePikanini wrote:Delete the EGR system and bypass the cooler. They are known to fail dumping cooling into exhaust and out the tail pipe - risking an overheating engine.

It already has a chip so a remap should be easy to shut the ECU up with the EGR delete.
Thanks - how would I know if it has already failed or is still working fine? what would the symptoms be ?
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG
2012 AMAROK BiTDi HIGHLINE 4MOTION 6MT

EX:2013 MK7 TDi HIGHLINE DSG
EX:2010 MK6 GTI 6MT
EX:2006 Ibiza Cupra TDi
EX:1993 Golf 3 Gti
EX:1970 Beetle 1600 Twinport
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg R5
Membership No: missing

Post by 4ePikanini »

Gti3 wrote:
4ePikanini wrote:Delete the EGR system and bypass the cooler. They are known to fail dumping cooling into exhaust and out the tail pipe - risking an overheating engine.

It already has a chip so a remap should be easy to shut the ECU up with the EGR delete.
Thanks - how would I know if it has already failed or is still working fine? what would the symptoms be ?
Loss of coolant.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

4ePikanini wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 am
Gti3 wrote:

Loss of coolant.

Phew! Ok it's not losing coolant so happy about that!

Maybe I'll try and give it a cleanup 1st before removing it just as a maintenance step.
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG

4ePikanini
Lieutenant

Post by 4ePikanini »

Gti3 wrote:
4ePikanini wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 am
Gti3 wrote:

Loss of coolant.

Phew! Ok it's not losing coolant so happy about that!

Maybe I'll try and give it a cleanup 1st before removing it just as a maintenance step.
Bypass the cooling through the egr altogether and then have the egr removed altogether and have the ecu coded to stop it throwing an egr error.

https://youtu.be/NhsITCvWp_Q

My Touareg Build
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

Dealership I bought the Navara from had a bitdi, mileage at 160k
They spent R28k to fix the turbo's and dropped the price from R229k to R169k to get rid of it.
http://www.liebenbergauto.co.za/vehicle ... e=5&page=3
Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

marzbars wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 am Dealership I bought the Navara from had a bitdi, mileage at 160k
They spent R28k to fix the turbo's and dropped the price from R229k to R169k to get rid of it.
http://www.liebenbergauto.co.za/vehicle ... e=5&page=3
Thanks , I took the chance on my one and it really isn't bad considering the mileage it's done. Just trying to keep it in good nick and sort out every little issue.
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG

Salt
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Salt »

I am also starting to look at an Amarok. I was initially looking at an Isuzu or Toyota Hlux round 2012 to 2014 model...but the look of the Amarok is just something else. I also think it will hold a modern look for longer than the Hilux and others. I am looking at the 2.0 BiTDI but a 4x2. I've heard from an owner of a 4x4 that his fuel consumption is higher than those of a 4x2 - anyone can confirm this? Then I am also considering the DSG and manual. Personally I would like the DSG but I want to compare fuel consumption between the manual and DSG and then life expectancy on the clutch/gearbox between the two. Any info here for me?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

it's not DSG - it's a proper ZF auto.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Salt
Enlisted

Post by Salt »

OK - didn't know that - thanks. Same questions apply though - will help me a lot if some of you with experience can give some feedback on those please.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

sorry can't help. Don't own one. Logially anything fulltime 4wd will always use a bit more fuel. But it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you NEED 4wd then there is use getting a 2wd because it uses less fuel.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Salt
Enlisted

Post by Salt »

100% - and I don't need 4x4 so I think 4x2 will suffice for me. In terms of know issues, I think everything on this thread has answered those questions for me. Just want know about fuel for the manual vs auto. I see by the far the most ones for sale on Gumtree are auto.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Auto is generally heavier on fuel than a manual.. i dont know exactly how much, google should help u with some info though

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Salt
Enlisted

Post by Salt »

Nothing like first hand feedback from past or present owners...thus I thought a good idea to ask here :) Hoping someone can shed some light for me
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace

Post by amstel18 »

I had a 4x2 manual. the 120kw one. Mine had a Unichip fitted and averaged 11.5km/l around town.
Brother inlaw has a 132kw auto. He gets around 8km/l, but then again, when he had the manual, he only saw 8.5km/l. He drives it like he stole it.

So if you drive nicely, you should see more than 10km/l with the auto.
Much better than you'd see from a Hilux auto. I had my sister's 3.0 D4d fortuner for a weekend. it gave me 6.5km/l.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Salt
Enlisted

Post by Salt »

amstel18 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 am I had a 4x2 manual. the 120kw one. Mine had a Unichip fitted and averaged 11.5km/l around town.
Brother inlaw has a 132kw auto. He gets around 8km/l, but then again, when he had the manual, he only saw 8.5km/l. He drives it like he stole it.

So if you drive nicely, you should see more than 10km/l with the auto.
Much better than you'd see from a Hilux auto. I had my sister's 3.0 D4d fortuner for a weekend. it gave me 6.5km/l.
Yes my friend had a Hilux auto and his fuel consumption is terrible! 11.5km/l is very good for a bakkie I think.
Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

If I had the finances I would have probably opted for an auto. The gearbox isn't the smoothest on the Amarok, well atleast not on mine. It is a bit clunky, however once you settle in to it it's not too bad to live with.

Amarok is awesome vehicle otherwise. My concern wasn't really fuel consumption as I got it as a second vehicle.
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG

Salt
Enlisted

Post by Salt »

Thanks for the feedback GTi3 - my plan for us is to get the Amarok for me which will be to work and back and then for holidays. I want to get my wife a 2015 (or thereabouts) Polo GTI DSG for her and for weekend driving. I am trying to set us up for best of both worlds (OK mostly me) hehehehe...a bakkie and something with a little speed. She also loves some power and a bakkie so its really a win win situation. Been looking at the Polo GTI and recon its better to ptob go for the 1.8 GTI than the 1.4 GTI. But the first buy will be the Amarok. I won't go over 100 000km as I will want to keep for an extended period of time. Were not bothered about buying new, buy pre owned has thankfully always treated us well financially and in reliability. The only one that stumbled was a Nissan Qashqai 1.5 DCI where the turbo went after 75 000km. Thankfully I took out an extended warranty with Wesbank/Engine Room/Motorite and they covered the R40k to fix it - so even that wasn't really a worry for us.
Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

Gti3 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 pm Hi Guys

Thought i'd give some feedback on the +- 10 000kms i've done with this Amarok thus far.

Overall id have to say that it is really an awesome machine! From the way it looks to the ease of moving around such a big vehicle. The vehicle was serviced when I got it at 261k, and has not asked for oil or water in the 10 000kms that I have covered. I am loving the ability to carry my family in the vehicle as well as chuck almost anything I need to in the loading bin or even tow a car as well. I've towed 2 cars of relatives and the amarok did it with absolute ease. All this whilst offering a very comfortable ride!

In terms of fuel consumption, its decent for its size - id say averaging around 10l/100km

I have also recently taken it to the Killarney 4x4 facility here in Shongweni for my 1st ever off road experience. I'm not very experienced in terms of the rough stuff but from the stuff I tried there , it managed to get through most of it of it quite easily. I was quite surprised especially considering my lack of skill/off road experience! I did however stay away from the mud as my rear tyres aren't very good.

Some of the issues I've experienced with it thus far:

1. The vehicle drives 'rough' intermittently - its hard to exactly describe, but its like some is dry or grinding. I can feel it on the steering wheel and gear lever through the rev range. it doesn't hesitate or stutter on pull away but when its running smoothly the difference is quite apparent as the the grind feeling is not there and the steering feels lighter as well as it seems a bit eager to get going. Gear changes are also smoother. The vehicle is running a tune which was done by the previous owner using ATM Chiptuning - I am trying to arrange to get some logs done to see if anything is out of the ordinary - Any ideas on this guys?

2. the tonneau cover tarp needs replacement - faded and brittle clips - I guess this is expected on a vehicle with this exposure to the sun and dry inland conditions

3. 4x4 sometimes does not engage immediately - I hardly ever use it so not an issue for me

4. Difflock was intermittently not engaging but in the last month does not seem to engage at all - the light flashes on the dash but does not stay on to signal that it has engaged successfully - any ideas on this ?

5. Need to replace the battery - I see that it still has an original VW battery in it, so taking this as part of routine maintenance for now. Looking at going with a Willard 658 100AH - any risk in doing this ?

6. the hooter sounds horrible as compared to my Golf 7 , but I can live with this. Will look at changing the horn if possible

It is now due for a service at 271k and am currently looking for a place to service it here in Durbs (beside VW). Also considering getting the fanbelt and associated pulleys changed in the coming weeks as well.

Would also like to have the tailgate wired up to the central locking so that it locks together.

Any questions or input on the above would be welcomed
Some feedback on changes/maintenance thus far. I have had the vehicle serviced - oil, oil filter, air filter, diesel filter and pollen filter. Have also changed the fan belt/ancillary belt, tensioner and roller pulley. The vehicle seems to have gotten a little smoother with much reduced grind feeling on the steering. I do still have the feedback on the gear lever when it's running rough.

I did also note that switching the air con on makes the engine slightly quieter, possibly air-conditioning pulley needs replacement?

I have also replaced the battery and noticed that the hooter sounds fine now. The 4x4 and low range also engages immediately with no hesitation.

The diff lock still does not engage. - have not had a chance to clean the actuator like Panic suggested but will do so soon. Have to figure out how to do it 1st lol.

I also thinking about giving the intercooler and related piping a cleanup as I noticed alot of oily residue in intake pipe. Am also thinking about giving the egr and cooler a cleanup as well. What do you guys think? Is it worth doing these cleanups?
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Difflock is a long ongoing issue with them. there is also a sensor ring and pickup that fails. R13k odd fix at the dealers only.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

4ePikanini
Lieutenant

Post by 4ePikanini »

Delete the EGR cooler. They like to crack, leak coolant out the exhaust and then you overheat.
My Touareg Build
Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 pm Difflock is a long ongoing issue with them. there is also a sensor ring and pickup that fails. R13k odd fix at the dealers only.
Oh no that doesn't sound promising...
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG

Gti3
Cadet

Post by Gti3 »

4ePikanini wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 pm Delete the EGR cooler. They like to crack, leak coolant out the exhaust and then you overheat.
Is it safe to do? I've been reading some mixed views on this and am quite confused about removal or not.
2020 MK7.5 GTi DSG

4ePikanini
Lieutenant

Post by 4ePikanini »

Gti3 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 pm
4ePikanini wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 pm Delete the EGR cooler. They like to crack, leak coolant out the exhaust and then you overheat.
Is it safe to do? I've been reading some mixed views on this and am quite confused about removal or not.
Safer than risking an overheat.

CAT delete
DPF delete
EGR and it's cooler delete
software flash to shut the ecu up
regular services with good oils and change all 3 filters every service!

These are the key points to engines going waaaaay beyond 300'000km.
My Touareg Build
dazza
Field Marshal
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

4ePikanini wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 am
Gti3 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 pm
Safer than risking an overheat.

CAT delete
DPF delete
EGR and it's cooler delete
software flash to shut the ecu up
regular services with good oils and change all 3 filters every service!

These are the key points to engines going waaaaay beyond 300'000km.
No DPF to worry about on the SA BITDI's
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
dazza
Field Marshal
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

The Auto 4 motion is heavier on fuel then the manual can confirm have owned both, between 0.5 and 1.0L/100km's.

If you going auto 4x2 then you need not worry because it is not full time AWD so will be similar to a manual Amarok.

Delete Cat, do all belts including cambelt and waterpump if the mileage is already approaching 75/80K for piece of mind
Monitor coolant level and leaking EGR, if EGR has signs of leaking then get the thing removed and do software to accompany it.

The BITdi with 4motion is the one to have if you can spring for the extra money. Decat and software wakes the thing up nicely, can recommend it.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG