Polo 7 draining battery overnight

Andemandoyi
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Polo 7 draining battery overnight

Post by Andemandoyi »

I have a polo tsi 2014 model that keeps draining the battery when the ignition is off. The current is around 7Amps and only stop when I either disconnect the battery or take out fuse SC38 (description says "onboard supply control unit J519"). Kindly provide assistance as to what could be draining it. VCDS wasn't much help either.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Polo 7 draining battery overnight

Post by PapaJo »

2014 model, Polo 7?

The correct way to diagnose this fault would be to go to a VW dealership for proper diagnostics. 2014 model should still be under maintenance plan if you have selected that when purchased. It could also come from any other circuits, which is fed from this fuse SC38, on board control unit.

This unit deactivates convenience system consumers and long-term HT consumers e.g. heated rear windscreen, so that heavy discharging of the battery is avoided.

Is this car fitted with a tracking device, aftermarket radio or was it accident damaged, possible disturbance in factory wiring?
Andemandoyi
Enlisted

Post by Andemandoyi »

It does have a tracking device
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

I suggest that you make an appointment with your local VW dealership and ask them to run a full diagnostics check on your car. Will cost you around R750 if you are out of your maintenance or service plan.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

7 amps is a massive drain. The most i have seen in parasitic draw was 3amps.

Are u sure that EVERYTHING was turned off during the test?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Andemandoyi
Enlisted

Post by Andemandoyi »

Yes. Everything as off
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Well if u dont want to go to a dealership/workshop and u want to diy then u gonna haveto get urself a wiring diagram. I wouldnt advise taking a chance without it..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Mbuzi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: Q5
Membership No: 1964

Post by Mbuzi »

Andemandoyi wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:11 pm I have a polo tsi 2014 model that keeps draining the battery when the ignition is off. The current is around 7Amps and only stop when I either disconnect the battery or take out fuse SC38 (description says "onboard supply control unit J519"). Kindly provide assistance as to what could be draining it. VCDS wasn't much help either.
Post moved to Tech discussion