Water Restrictions and Car washing

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
ChefDJ
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: Benz
Car Model: C270 CDI

Re: Water Restrictions and Car washing

Post by ChefDJ »

Understandable, but even tap water is not RO quality hence my question.
Djin
Crazydetailer
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Djin »

amstel18 wrote:They don't want you to use drinking water for washing of cars.
I was even considering buying a karcher that can use a bucket. And then tell them I fill the bucket from my borehole.
I'm not quite understanding the restrictions based on you guys in CPT. The restrictions on our side is that there is no watering of gardens with sprinklers, only by hose. And strictly no washing of car by hose pipe,. ONLY by bucket. So this has nothing to do with drinking water or not.

What are they saying about flushing away turds with said drinking water?

Email - Info@crazydetailer.co.za
Shop 8. WorldWear Center, Fairlands, JHB
Store Tel : 011 476 5409
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Djin wrote:I'm not quite understanding the restrictions based on you guys in CPT. The restrictions on our side is that there is no watering of gardens with sprinklers, only by hose. And strictly no washing of car by hose pipe,. ONLY by bucket. So this has nothing to do with drinking water or not.

Before 1 Feb, we could use buckets to wash cars, but now we can't. So we can't use potable water for car washing, have to go to registered car wash. Other restrictions on watering gardens and so on have also become more restrictive. If you have harvested rain water for example, you can do anything with it.

Level 3B detailed restrictions here:
http://resource.capetown.gov.za/documen ... 0final.pdf
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Djin wrote:
amstel18 wrote:They don't want you to use drinking water for washing of cars.
I was even considering buying a karcher that can use a bucket. And then tell them I fill the bucket from my borehole.
I'm not quite understanding the restrictions based on you guys in CPT. The restrictions on our side is that there is no watering of gardens with sprinklers, only by hose. And strictly no washing of car by hose pipe,. ONLY by bucket. So this has nothing to do with drinking water or not.

Also following what Howie has said. They ONLY way that you are allowed to have your car cleaned is by a commercial car wash. And I don't trust anyone to do it at all. So the choice is a clean car swirled to hell and gone or a dirty one.

Well Option 3 for a waterless wash is still there, but I feel guilty having to put 10-15 MF towels through the washing machine, anyway using 200liters to wash the towels after washing my car.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Djin
Crazydetailer

Post by Djin »

Bizarre.

Flushing your toilet uses around 5L of water. Doing a Rinse less wash, uses about the same amount of water ...

The point is to reduce water consumption. Overall. And not to stop just us from just washing our cars. So the way I see it, is overall they will reduce water consumption because 99% of the public will not bother to go through the hassle of Rinseless or waterless washing. And even if they do the waterless wash, chances are, one cheapy microfiber towel will be used on the entire car. :lol:

I really feel for you okes down there, so here's my proposal to you. If you cover the shipping, I will sponsor you a sample set of <UNBRANDED TOP SECRET SOON TO BE RELEASED> RINSELESS & Waterless products to try out. :cool:

amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by amstel18 »

Djin wrote:Bizarre.

Flushing your toilet uses around 5L of water. Doing a Rinse less wash, uses about the same amount of water ...

The point is to reduce water consumption. Overall. And not to stop just us from just washing our cars. So the way I see it, is overall they will reduce water consumption because 99% of the public will not bother to go through the hassle of Rinseless or waterless washing. And even if they do the waterless wash, chances are, one cheapy microfiber towel will be used on the entire car. :lol:

I really feel for you okes down there, so here's my proposal to you. If you cover the shipping, I will sponsor you a sample set of <UNBRANDED TOP SECRET SOON TO BE RELEASED> RINSELESS & Waterless products to try out. :cool:
PM sent :hug:
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

amstel18 wrote:PM sent :hug:
Will buy such magical items........ :hurray:
spdgti
Cadet

Post by spdgti »

Howie-WP wrote:
amstel18 wrote:PM sent :hug:
Will buy such magical items........ :hurray:
http://www.crazydetailer.co.za/index.ph ... ts_id=1179

Rain yesterday morning allowed for a quick clean. :hurray:
'08 06 Magma Orange Cross Polo

ex: Reflex Silver GTi-R
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

Djin wrote:I really feel for you okes down there, so here's my proposal to you. If you cover the shipping, I will sponsor you a sample set of <UNBRANDED TOP SECRET SOON TO BE RELEASED> RINSELESS & Waterless products to try out. :cool:
Any update on this? I need to buy some of this, as my car needs to be cleaned.
spdgti
Cadet

Post by spdgti »

Howie-WP wrote:
Djin wrote:I really feel for you okes down there, so here's my proposal to you. If you cover the shipping, I will sponsor you a sample set of <UNBRANDED TOP SECRET SOON TO BE RELEASED> RINSELESS & Waterless products to try out. :cool:
Just take it to a carwash. It'll rain two days later :lol:
'08 06 Magma Orange Cross Polo

ex: Reflex Silver GTi-R
Djin
Crazydetailer

Post by Djin »

Howie-WP wrote:
Hey Howie

I have a small amount of product left from my personal stash that I would be willing to share. (About 500ml, so you will get at least 2 washes from a bottle.) The launch is still a few days away due to other commitments. Pop me a PM if you keen to give a test? :cool:

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

Djin wrote: Hey Howie

I have a small amount of product left from my personal stash that I would be willing to share. (About 500ml, so you will get at least 2 washes from a bottle.) The launch is still a few days away due to other commitments. Pop me a PM if you keen to give a test? :cool:
if it is only a "few days away" will wait and then purchase rather ..... did amstel get to test it? Thanks for the update :oops:
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by amstel18 »

Howie-WP wrote:

if it is only a "few days away" will wait and then purchase rather ..... did amstel get to test it? Thanks for the update :oops:
I have received a sample yes. Quite scared to try it out... Will give it a go after work today once it cools down a bit. First needed to go get some new spray bottles, cause all mine are occupied.

Will update this thread with some before and afters...
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
96 1600 Chico (sold)
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

amstel18 wrote:
Howie-WP wrote:

I have received a sample yes. Quite scared to try it out... Will give it a go after work today once it cools down a bit. First needed to go get some new spray bottles, cause all mine are occupied.

I haven't used this particular rinseless so there may be some differences, but in general, the following will help to mitigate the chance of inflicting swirls.

1. Use quality MF towels, preferably something with a decent length pile.
2. Soak your MF towels in your bucket of rinseless for a while before use
3. Pre-spray the panel you are going to clean with the rinseless to allow it to start breaking down the dirt
4. Pull a MF towel out the bucket and squeeze most of it out, but you still want it wet so don't over do it
5. Fold it into 4
6. With gentle pressure make 1 wipe with the towel and if you can try and roll the towel during the wipe such that its first the leading edges of the towel in contact with the paint, then the middle, then the tailing edges - essentially you are trying to expose clean towel to the paint even during this 1 wipe and are trying to avoid wiping dirt back over any section of paint
7. Turn the towel over and repeat. Once you have no more clean sides, switch to another towel
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: RE: Re: Water Restrictions and Car washing

Post by amstel18 »

lawrence wrote:
amstel18 wrote:
Howie-WP wrote:

I haven't used this particular rinseless so there may be some differences, but in general, the following will help to mitigate the chance of inflicting swirls.

1. Use quality MF towels, preferably something with a decent length pile.
3. Pre-spray the panel you are going to clean with the rinseless to allow it to start breaking down the dirt
4. Pull a MF towel out the bucket and squeeze most of it out, but you still want it wet so don't over do it
5. Fold it into 4
6. With gentle pressure make 1 wipe with the towel and if you can try and roll the towel during the wipe such that its first the leading edges of the towel in contact with the paint, then the middle, then the tailing edges - essentially you are trying to expose clean towel to the paint even during this 1 wipe and are trying to avoid wiping dirt back over any section of paint
7. Turn the towel over and repeat. Once you have no more clean sides, switch to another towel
Thanks lawrence.

From the how-to I got from djin, it seems this new formulation is a spray on only product and doesnt require any pre-soaking of the towels.

The pre-soaking as I understand is that of the garry dean method which can be used with an ONR solution.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Djin
Crazydetailer

Post by Djin »

There should have been 2 samples that were sent. The one (blue) is the Rinseless concentrate. And the other (green) is the proper Waterless Wash. Two very different products.

The Rinseless you would employ the Garry Dean method to wash, and the Waterless requires a similar approach just without the bucket. I've tried both, and while I do prefer Rinseless, I was able to do Waterless on a fair dirty car without marring or scratching. You just have to use ALLOT of clean towels. <- This was the hardest thing I ever attempted because it goes against everything I've learnt over the years. However, when I realized that waterless wash is NOT just spray and wipe. I perfected my technique and was able to achieve really good results.

Lawrence just to add to your point below:
lawrence wrote: 1. Use quality MF towels, preferably something with a decent length pile.
5. Fold it into 4
For added encapsulation & lubrication you can use a stronger mix of the Rinseless wash AKA Rinseless detail spray for step 3 above. :thumbup:

lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Re: RE: Re: Water Restrictions and Car washing

Post by lawrence »

amstel18 wrote: Thanks lawrence.

From the how-to I got from djin, it seems this new formulation is a spray on only product and doesnt require any pre-soaking of the towels.

The pre-soaking as I understand is that of the garry dean method which can be used with an ONR solution.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
Yeah look I don't know the specifics of that particular product but its still something I would do if I were using it, even if the instructions said it wasn't needed.

Rinseless washes work by encapsulating the dirt and providing really strong lubrication in order to remove the dirt without scratching and so by a) pre-soaking the panel by spraying some on and b) pre-soaking the MF, you eliminate the possibility of a dry mf towel pushing a dry particle of dirt over your paint., which is what will create scratches.

For the 'effort' of pre-soaking the MF towels, it seems like an 'no-brainer' way to further reduce the chances of inflicting swirls.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by amstel18 »

Review

So I promised to post a short review after trying out the new waterless car wash sample Crazy Detailer sent me.
I forgot to take pics of the bottle and what the liquid looked like, rookie error I know. But it was a thick greenish milky liquid.

To start off, I tried it out on my wife's car. It was REALLY Dirty. And the paint isn't in that great shape, so it needs a detail somewhere soon in any case.

The sample was about 450ml which I transferred to a new Spray bottle.
I had to change out the nozzle about 1/4 way in, as the formula quickly clogged the nozzle.

I would think that CD would need to supply or suggest a spray bottle to be used with the product if it gets released.

I Started with the Roof and worked my way down, moving first to the bonnet and front of the car moving backwards working from top to bottom, just as you would with a normal wash.

Process I used was as follows:
- Sprayed a section around 40x40 with the product
- Folded a clean MF into 4 sections.
- Gave a light spritzing to the surface of the MF (Just for added lube)
- Wiped in a single stroke kind of rolling the towel as I go spreading the contact point of the towel as to not drag the dirt too far along.
- Flipped towel to a clean section and wiped the panel a 2nd time to remove the residue.

So I went along with the sections one by one until I completed the entire car.

Before of the Car ( At this point I realised I didn't take a before after doing half the roof)

Close up of the Roof:

50:50

Side Before:

Overall afters (The lighting is quite bad at this point, but for a normal person, the car was quite clean)

The Pro's:
-Quite easy to use, even though technique is a bit iffy
- ZERO water is necessary (OBVIOUS)
- Quite quick to do, once you get the hang of it. I think on a car that isn't filthy, it shouldn't take longer than 20minutes if you perfected your technique

The Con's:
- I used the ENTIRE sample bottle on the car. The Astra is quite a big car and it was very dirty. So depending on what the product costs, it may be a bit pricey to do this.
- I went through around 9 Towels. I still need to wash these towels, so hopefully they aren't ruined after this and come out clean.
- It left a bit of a white residue. I removed this with some quick detailer and a clean MF towel. I was too scared to buff this off to vigorously without some added lubrication of QD.
- Quite scary to use for someone that is scared of swirls ( I wasn't prepared to use it on my new 2nd hand Audi :lol: )

Hopefully my Review is well received.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

Good write up amstel ..... seems like I am gonna have to find a decent car wash in the area. When we were in Triangle House in the CBD, we parked in the garage that house Ryan's Car wash and they did an OK job. Would be super convenient if we still used that parkade.
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

I use stopwash thanks to discovery insure but would like to know how effective are these waterless carwash and don't they damage the paint in a long run

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by amstel18 »

Howie-WP wrote:Good write up amstel ..... seems like I am gonna have to find a decent car wash in the area. When we were in Triangle House in the CBD, we parked in the garage that house Ryan's Car wash and they did an OK job. Would be super convenient if we still used that parkade.
Ja hey maybe it was my technique that was flawed, but I can definately see additional marring. Not shooting down the product, I just think it is to be used with caution. Glad I didn't use it on my Audi.

There's a carwash in the basement of the Westin, which the guys at work are quite happy with. I however will not use it.

People may crucify me, but we went away the weekend and had to do some dirt roads so the Audi was covered with this fine orange dust.

Sunday evening I decided screw this, mixed up a batch of pre-wash and snowfoam, and quick whipped out the HP gun and did a quick 2 bucket wash (3rd for the wheels). Had a few people walked past my house, so I was nipping a bit. But in the end my driveway was hardly even wet.

Proper washing with a HP gun, uses less water than what the washing machine did to clean all the Microfibres I used with the "Waterless" wash.

HP gun Method:
Wash bucket (10l)
Rinse bucket (10l)
Wheel bucket (5l)
Snow foam (500ml)
HP Gun (used for maybe 10 min altogether, I have K2.21, so flow rate is 360l/hour so 60L)
Total (85.5L)

LG 9kg Washing machine
Heavy duty wash cycle Probably around 100-150 litres....
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
96 1600 Chico (sold)
killerpunk
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by killerpunk »

amstel18 wrote:
Howie-WP wrote:Good write up amstel ..... seems like I am gonna have to find a decent car wash in the area. When we were in Triangle House in the CBD, we parked in the garage that house Ryan's Car wash and they did an OK job. Would be super convenient if we still used that parkade.
Ja hey maybe it was my technique that was flawed, but I can definately see additional marring. Not shooting down the product, I just think it is to be used with caution. Glad I didn't use it on my Audi.

There's a carwash in the basement of the Westin, which the guys at work are quite happy with. I however will not use it.

People may crucify me, but we went away the weekend and had to do some dirt roads so the Audi was covered with this fine orange dust.

Sunday evening I decided screw this, mixed up a batch of pre-wash and snowfoam, and quick whipped out the HP gun and did a quick 2 bucket wash (3rd for the wheels). Had a few people walked past my house, so I was nipping a bit. But in the end my driveway was hardly even wet.

Proper washing with a HP gun, uses less water than what the washing machine did to clean all the Microfibres I used with the "Waterless" wash.

HP gun Method:
Wash bucket (10l)
Rinse bucket (10l)
Wheel bucket (5l)
Snow foam (500ml)
HP Gun (used for maybe 10 min altogether, I have K2.21, so flow rate is 360l/hour so 60L)
Total (85.5L)

LG 9kg Washing machine
I've been wanting to comment on the host of waterless car wash company posts on Facebook for quite some time to ask them how much water they use cleaning their microfibre cloths.

Since the COCT 3b water restrictions were imposed, I have forgone the two bucket washing system for now for a somewhat touchless wash.

My routine is:
  • Fill up my 25l jerry can and 4x 2l bottles with water
  • Pre-treat all dirty areas - normally front bumper, rear bumper, wheels and wheel arches
  • Prep Karcher K1 washer and connect to 25l jerry can
  • Prep Snow foam canon with 20/80 split and 800ml luke-warm water
  • Foam up the car let it dwell for 5 minutes and allow the detergent to do the work
  • I then HP wash all of the grime off leaving a very clean untouched car
  • Next up i use the 4x 2l bottles and sheet water of the entire car
  • Dry windows and wheels and I park the car in the garage
Our water is quite clean so water spots are not an issue and all of this is normally done before 8am on a Saturday morning so that the sun is not too hot to use this technique and also not to raise any eyebrows from the neighbors. I do have a borehole, so my neighbors don't really care.

Total water used: + 34l

I alternate washes between my Golf and the wifes Elantra (Elantra uses an extra 2l water for sheeting) over the weekends of the month so essentially 4x washes per month. I also do the interiors of each car once a month or as soon as the interior becomes really dusty so add another 20l of water per month for this.

Total water used per month to wash 2 cars twice = + 160l
.: Das Auto :.

Current:
2014 Pure White Golf VII GTi 2.0 TSI DSG

Ex:
2013 Candy White Polo GTi 1.4TSI
1999 Golf IV GTi - 125wkw
1989 Cream Golf II CSX 1.8
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by amstel18 »

killerpunk wrote:
amstel18 wrote:

HP gun Method:
Wash bucket (10l)
Rinse bucket (10l)
Wheel bucket (5l)
Snow foam (500ml)
Total (85.5L)

LG 9kg Washing machine
I've been wanting to comment on the host of waterless car wash company posts on Facebook for quite some time to ask them how much water they use cleaning their microfibre cloths.

Since the COCT 3b water restrictions were imposed, I have forgone the two bucket washing system for now for a somewhat touchless wash.

My routine is:
  • Pre-treat all dirty areas - normally front bumper, rear bumper, wheels and wheel arches
  • Foam up the car let it dwell for 5 minutes and allow the detergent to do the work
Our water is quite clean so water spots are not an issue and all of this is normally done before 8am on a Saturday morning so that the sun is not too hot to use this technique and also not to raise any eyebrows from the neighbors. I do have a borehole, so my neighbors don't really care.

I alternate washes between my Golf and the wifes Elantra (Elantra uses an extra 2l water for sheeting) over the weekends of the month so essentially 4x washes per month. I also do the interiors of each car once a month or as soon as the interior becomes really dusty so add another 20l of water per month for this.

You use your borehole water? If so then you VERY lucky. My wellpoint/borehole water has loadz of minerals in it and a very high iron content. I get brown stains on my walls so no way I will be using that water on my white cars.

I've looked into a filtration plaint to remove the iron, but those start at around r25k which is ridiculous. Then I'm not even guaranteed that it will reduce the mineral content to an acceptable level and may require additional filtration steps.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
96 1600 Chico (sold)
killerpunk
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by killerpunk »

amstel18 wrote:
killerpunk wrote:
amstel18 wrote:

HP gun Method:
Wash bucket (10l)
Rinse bucket (10l)
Wheel bucket (5l)
Snow foam (500ml)
Total (85.5L)

LG 9kg Washing machine

My routine is:

You use your borehole water? If so then you VERY lucky. My wellpoint/borehole water has loadz of minerals in it and a very high iron content. I get brown stains on my walls so no way I will be using that water on my white cars.

I've looked into a filtration plaint to remove the iron, but those start at around r25k which is ridiculous. Then I'm not even guaranteed that it will reduce the mineral content to an acceptable level and may require additional filtration steps.
Apologies for not being more clear.
I use fresh water to wash the cars... garden gets the stuff from the borehole.
Last edited by killerpunk on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
.: Das Auto :.

Current:
2014 Pure White Golf VII GTi 2.0 TSI DSG

Ex:
2013 Candy White Polo GTi 1.4TSI
1999 Golf IV GTi - 125wkw
1989 Cream Golf II CSX 1.8
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Touareg R5

Post by 4ePikanini »

Water restrictions are there for a reason. Not washing your car is not life threatening.
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon